Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior in age member

Default Smart phone question.

A little while ago I purchased a cheap smart phone to see what they can do. Amazing technology to some one like me that roamed the earth with dinosaurs.

Couple of questions.

1/ When I try to add apps it comes up with a message that there is insufficient storage.
    2/ A couple of apps that I did install wont work, namely a compass and a level.

I have spoken with the guys at the 2 Degrees store where I bought the phone but they speak a strange language which I think is Tech Which I don't speak.

So, is there a solution to the first question and for the second do I have to buy a more expensive phone to get the apps to work?

Default Re: Smart phone question.

generally you get what you pay for, so a cheap phone is unlikely to have much storage space or have hardware support for a compass or gyroscope

for issue #1 you can try to uninstall some other apps so you can install your new ones

for issue #2 if your smartphone hardware doesn't have a compass or gyroscope you'll need to buy a new one.

You may need to purchase and fit a micro sd card to store your downloaded apps
    The purpose of life is to fight maturity.

Bight the bullet and buy a Motorola Moto G $299 @ 2Degrees.. Great phone but only has 8 Gig storage..
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

I did the same Tut.

Spent a whole $59 on a Samsung GT-S5300 at 2°, installed a 16Gb Micro SD card and away it went.

Looks like all it won’t do is mow the lawns.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

Doesnt matter if you add an SD card or not. Not all apps can be moved to an SD card.

If you want to install something or most things, buy a phone with at least 4 GB internal memory on it. Most crappy / cheap ones only have 150mb (you can only remove so many apps, unless you hack into it).

Dont know why they sell them here. Theyre crap

There was a vodafone smartphone, that had 4 GB, but if you wanted to changed provider, you had to pay $30 to unlock it

Well my $59 job has 4gig of memory with 1gig dedicated.

The reason I added the 16gig Micro SD Card was I figured the phone would be no good and the card would be useful in a camera or such if that proved to be the case.

Anyway, all happiness at the moment and the chap in the shop assured me it wasn’t locked to any network so we’ll see shortly when I head back to Aus.

It will be a case of feet do your stuff for him if he has lied, something which has happened previously, but in Aus.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Some apps like the Facebook app take up a fair whack of space on your phone storage even if you move it to the SD Card.

My younger sibbling got one from 2degrees also, same problem, lack of space... Fixed it by uninstalling Facebook and just using an alternative app instead.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by tut View Post
    A little while ago I purchased a cheap smart phone to see what they can do. Amazing technology to some one like me that roamed the earth with dinosaurs.

Couple of questions.

1/ When I try to add apps it comes up with a message that there is insufficient storage.
    2/ A couple of apps that I did install wont work, namely a compass and a level.

I have spoken with the guys at the 2 Degrees store where I bought the phone but they speak a strange language which I think is Tech Which I don't speak.

So, is there a solution to the first question and for the second do I have to buy a more expensive phone to get the apps to work?
    If you buy a more expensive phone it normally means more storage space which is a definite necessity when you realize that you are doing a whole lot of things that were considered impossible on "traditional" mobile phones of 9-10 years ago.
    Working on a few different projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    Doesnt matter if you add an SD card or not. Not all apps can be moved to an SD card.

If you want to install something or most things, buy a phone with at least 4 GB internal memory on it. Most crappy / cheap ones only have 150mb (you can only remove so many apps, unless you hack into it).

Dont know why they sell them here. Theyre crap

There was a vodafone smartphone, that had 4 GB, but if you wanted to changed provider, you had to pay $30 to unlock it
    they sell them because a certain percentage of the population buys on price