Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drink driving

Default Drink driving

Currently watching police 10 7. Here was I thinking nz was getting hard on drink driving. Lady blows almost 3 times the limit get 6 months loss of license and $600 fine. I got caught 23 years ago blowing 623 limit is 400 and got 6 months loss and a $1000 fine. Maybe I just had a crap lawyer.
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Default Re: Drink driving

It's total crap really. I agree, if they're gonna do that, they need to be locked up, for a long time. None of this "off early for good behavior" either.

If you're that far gone, you simply just don't drive, there's no mistaking "Oh I thought I was still sober".

No way, you can rot in a cell for all I care.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Mixed Member

Quote Originally Posted by plod View Post
    Currently watching police 10 7. Here was I thinking nz was getting hard on drink driving. Lady blows almost 3 times the limit get 6 months loss of license and $600 fine. I got caught 23 years ago blowing 623 limit is 400 and got 6 months loss and a $1000 fine. Maybe I just had a crap lawyer.
    I certainly understand being perplexed. I've represented many drink drivers and usually warn them to expect a $1000 fine plus $150 court costs and 6 months disqualification (which is the minimum), if it is a first offence.

However the judge has to take into account each persons circumstances and I've seen elderly 70-80yr olds fined $200 and the judge knowing they probably won't ever drive again.

The penalty is matched to the individual circumstances and for a beneficiary, $600 would be expected.

Its ok I am from Motueka. prefect's Avatar

People used to be scared of getting caught for driving pissed in the old days but now the fine isnt inflation adjusted and is hardly a deterrent then you just apply for a work licence. I would like to see automatic imprisonment say 1 year and no judge discretion for people getting caught a second time within 30 years.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Personally I would be happy for them to st the limit at zero and imprisonment for drinking any alcohol and driving, there would be no excuse if the limit was zero. I like a drink from time to time but I would never drive not even if I've only had one drink

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    People used to be scared of getting caught for driving pissed in the old days ....
    No they didnt

Was once a time you could get off with a warning . Drink driving used to be very common, everyone was doing it back in the old days .
    In my drinking days there was little chance of being caught (personal experience) , those actually caught back then would have had many many years of driving p8ssed before actually being stopped & breath tested.

In one respect its still the same , for those caught you can bet they would have been drink driving many many times before . They wont change their behaviour till they have been disqualified 1 or 2 times.

Its ok I am from Motueka. prefect's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    No they didnt

Was once a time you could get off with a warning . Drink driving used to be very common, everyone was doing it back in the old days .
    In my drinking days there was little chance of being caught (personal experience) , those actually caught back then would have had many many years of driving p8ssed before actually being stopped & breath tested.

In one respect its still the same , for those caught you can bet they would have been drink driving many many times before . They wont change their behaviour till they have been disqualified 1 or 2 times.
    You must be considerably older than me I only had my licence since 1970.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

South Seas Parrothead Twelvevolts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    It's total crap really. I agree, if they're gonna do that, they need to be locked up, for a long time. None of this "off early for good behavior" either.

If you're that far gone, you simply just don't drive, there's no mistaking "Oh I thought I was still sober".

No way, you can rot in a cell for all I care.
    Good to know with all this locking people up for a long time that we will still be building prisons at great expense for some time to come. I wonder if we could tax the people more who want these long sentences. Sentencing is a lot tougher for drink driving than it was in the seventies, and drink driving was far more common then than it is today.
    Drinking Central Otago Pinot Noir - but purely for medicinal purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Twelvevolts View Post
    Sentencing is a lot tougher for drink driving than it was in the seventies, and drink driving was far more common then than it is today.
    Clearly punishment is working, Might as well ramp it up.

Good thing there is plenty of scope to run prisons far more efficiently so the will of the people could easily be met with longer sentences while shaving millions of dollars out of the running costs.
    better Dredd then dead

Plan B is to remove all health and Safety requirements and use prison labour for all high risk work activities.

The lawyers that defend the actions of the convicted can go down the hole with them.
    better Dredd then dead