Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default getting Netflix onto my tv

Hi all,

I have a netflix account which works nicely on my phone/tablet/PC but I'd like to watch on the tv. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? My tv is connected to the internet (via ethernet cable through my router) but has no netflix app (it's not as smart as new TVs). I can watch videos from the PC over the network on the TV, but not sure how to get netflix going. Do I need to get a new media player device of some sort (do any sold in NZ have netflix app?) or a chromecast? Or could I do it somehow with my current tv?

Cheers,
    Mike.
    what are you doing looking in here?

Default Re: getting Netflix onto my tv

You would need something like an Xbox or maybe something like these HDMI dongles that turn your TV into a smart tv? Or yup something like chromecast. Altho you'll need a power supply too. If the TV doesnt have USB.

I forgot about USB - yes TV has 2 or 3 USB and 4 HDMI (although only 1 available), plus the ethernet connection. We also have a WII-U (if it's possible to get Netflix going in that?)

Cheers,
    Mike.

The chromecast should be fine then. If you've got a spare USB / HDMI connection. Altho it may pay to check Google for reviews on it. To see if its got probs.

According this this you can set up Netflix on a WII-U

Under How To. This is if you're a Netflix member

If you haven't already, set up an Internet connection on the Wii U. (How To)

Make sure your Wii U has the latest system update. (How To)

Select the Netflix icon from the Wii U Menu, and follow the on-screen prompts to download Netflix from the Nintendo eShop.

If you have previously deleted the Netflix icon, you can still download Netflix through the Nintendo eShop. (How To) . Once downloaded, open Download Management and install Netflix. (How To)

Select the Netflix icon from the Wii U Menu.

Tap "Member Sign In" in the top right corner of the Wii U Gamepad screen.

Use the on-screen keyboard to enter in your Netflix account e-mail address and password, and then tap "Continue" to complete the sign-in process.

Don't you have to use a VPN or proxy to access Netflix in NZ due to it not officially being offered here?
    I ask because it makes me wonder if it's possible to do it on a device other than a PC?

Also because it's not offered here I doubt there are devices available with the app on them commonly for sale.
    The simplest solution might be a cheap Media PC, I have an Optiplex 755 I was given I'm using as a media PC and it works very well, a core 2 duo or better with 2GB of RAM or more should do the trick (mine is a 3Ghz C2D with 4GB - plays & streams 1080P content perfectly)
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Don't you have to use a VPN or proxy to access Netflix in NZ due to it not officially being offered here?
    I ask because it makes me wonder if it's possible to do it on a device other than a PC?
    I can access Netflix directly via my ISP, so shouldn't make a difference to the device I think?

Cheers,
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    The chromecast should be fine then. If you've got a spare USB / HDMI connection. Altho it may pay to check Google for reviews on it. To see if its got probs.

According this this you can set up Netflix on a WII-U

Under How To. This is if you're a Netflix member

If you haven't already, set up an Internet connection on the Wii U. (How To)

Make sure your Wii U has the latest system update. (How To)

Select the Netflix icon from the Wii U Menu, and follow the on-screen prompts to download Netflix from the Nintendo eShop.

If you have previously deleted the Netflix icon, you can still download Netflix through the Nintendo eShop. (How To) . Once downloaded, open Download Management and install Netflix. (How To)

Select the Netflix icon from the Wii U Menu.

Tap "Member Sign In" in the top right corner of the Wii U Gamepad screen.

Use the on-screen keyboard to enter in your Netflix account e-mail address and password, and then tap "Continue" to complete the sign-in process.
    Thanks, I'll take a look when I get home - I hadn't thought about doing it through the WII until I was posting here

Cheers,
    Mike.

You can use an appleTV to get Netflix, however there are some things to do first...
    1)- DNS servers addy for US of A, via unblockus...$5 p/mth
    2)- US Itunes account to pay for netflix, otherwise its a pain....
    3)- Netflix account $13 p/mth...
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Apple TV is worth considering. Both my very non tech savvy flatmates find it very easy to use for Netflix. I have not personally used anything else, but understand the UI on the likes of PS3 is not as nice for Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by SolMiester View Post
    You can use an appleTV to get Netflix, however there are some things to do first...
    1)- DNS servers addy for US of A, via unblockus...$5 p/mth
    2)- US Itunes account to pay for netflix, otherwise its a pain....
    3)- Netflix account $13 p/mth...
    is #2 required to use netflix on the Apple TV?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex B View Post
    Apple TV is worth considering. Both my very non tech savvy flatmates find it very easy to use for Netflix. I have not personally used anything else, but understand the UI on the likes of PS3 is not as nice for Netflix.
    Does Apple TV require me to have other Apple devices? The only Apple device we have in the house is my daughter's little ipod thing.

Cheers,
    Mike.