Thread: external drive

Default external drive

Hello,
    My old Compaq CQ62 laptop broke about a year ago

It turned to be a issue with the hard drive controller, So I ask you.
    Can I install Windows 7. Onto a external hard drive and how. I don't mind having a drive sticking out,
    Pastime I said this speedy wanted to help with the controller. I just want to use an external drive as my main.
    Thank you

Default Re: external drive

You can but its not recommended, it can be slow and unstable.

Have a read of http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-...e-with-pwboot/ By default W7 is not configured to install/boot from a External Drive. Read the VERDICT at the bottom of the article as a warning.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 05-03-2014 at 08:46 AM.

Or find out the exact model. Pull it to bits remove the mobo find one on ebay or something replace it

Linux is able to run from USB drives fairly well as a possible alternative. Possibly less useful to you but it will give you some functionality at least.

Wainui couldn't the issues in that verdict be avoided simply by not having any other drives connected? which would seem to be the case if the hdd controller is faulty.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Hi, Thanks Dugimodo, but im trying to use a 500GB - 1TB external hdd, I will try to use Windows on the drive but what would you recommend as a speedy ext. hdd.
    I dont want to try to fix the controller (unless it costs <$100). So i need a list of nice hdd's with speed of be able to run Win7/8

That laptop only has USB 2.0 Yes? In which case pretty much any ext hard drive will perform the same because they will be bottlenecked by the performance of the USB port. You get somewhere around 40-45 MB/s transfers over USB 2.0 MAX as opposed to current Hdd technology which typically is >60MB/s My WD green drives transfer at around 70 and are not speedy drives.

You could get something like a WD or Seagate USB 3.0 external hard drive and it will be nice and fast on a PC with USB3.0, but still fairly slow on that laptop. Also because USB 3.0 has more power available than USB 2.0 it's possible it will need to use 2 ports to get enough power and not all USB 3.0 Drives come with a cable for that. (some USB 2.0 drives have the same issue but generally have the required cable)
    Last edited by dugimodo; 05-03-2014 at 10:19 AM.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Hmm, Is there some other kind of way to wire one of those in with enough speed

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Linux is able to run from USB drives fairly well as a possible alternative. Possibly less useful to you but it will give you some functionality at least.

Wainui couldn't the issues in that verdict be avoided simply by not having any other drives connected? which would seem to be the case if the hdd controller is faulty.
    Only tried it once when the persons laptop had the sata port break. It was slow as a wet week on an external drive, they ended up being able to use the laptop fine though, what I had to do was remove the optical drive, and luckily the HDD cable was long enough to use its sata connection the Optical drive originally used.

W8 / 8.1 ( enterprise) has the option to make a removable drive with the OS which works fine, W7 is not designed for it.

I once looked into some software that allowed you to boot into a hyper-visor on a USB stick\External drive, so you could fire up your own virtual PC, on any PC that you could choose the boot device. I only tested XP, with mail and internet and some fake docs etc....However the idea to be able to carry your PC around was great, however now superceded. Not sure how well it would run with a load of storage?, and of course we now have USB3..
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8