Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Email hosting

Default Email hosting

Hi guys

Because of server unreliability/bouncy issues with certain destinations, I am planning on moving our email from our current host to another, but before leaping in wanted to check with the good folk of PF1 as to what were the most reliable and generous hosts.

Just email at this stage, no website required but that may come later. We have had the domain name for a number of years and it is currently in use via the current provider. We're only using 4 addresses at this stage and can't see that we'd ever need more than 5-10. A Gig or so of email storage space would be nice, I'm currently operating on much less than that and it is a pain in the proverbial.

Who provides a reliable, secure service at a reasonable cost with reasonable space (1Gb or so)?

I had considered going through Google, however this is for business email, security, reliability and privacy are critical factors with legal documents often being passed around, a totally cloud based solution is not an option. Is privacy and ownership still an issue with Google?

Default Re: Email hosting

Either me and my service or Google's Pro offering... Google is reliable I have to say... my g/f's business runs on it 24/7. But I'd recommend a more personalised service (such as mine *hint hint*)
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Computer Tech

You can host your personal domain on Microsoft's Outlook.com service and this works really well and there is no cost at all.
    The other option is to pay for Office 365 Exchange Online P1 which is $5.10 per email account per month.

Office 365 gets 50GB of email storage for each email account.
    The Outlook.com service doesn't appear to have any storage limit.

Google.

Or Openhost - they have mail only plans.
    wipe your paws.

I use 24/7 who are based on ChCh for my website. The do email hosting as well although I can't speak from experience. Their prices are pretty reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Either me and my service or Google's Pro offering... Google is reliable I have to say... my g/f's business runs on it 24/7. But I'd recommend a more personalised service (such as mine *hint hint*)
    What's your service Greg, and I'd be having stern words with my GF if I were you, but then I have no experience of your service. ;-)

What's Free Parking like these days?

Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    You can host your personal domain on Microsoft's Outlook.com service and this works really well and there is no cost at all.
    The other option is to pay for Office 365 Exchange Online P1 which is $5.10 per email account per month.

Office 365 gets 50GB of email storage for each email account.
    The Outlook.com service doesn't appear to have any storage limit.
    Gidday Cy.

Office 365 is entirely cloud based, innit? I also have a slight aversion to the "all your stuff is our stuff" MS mantra. Though having said that, I recently purchased my first copies of MS Office (2010) since like ages and ages, but haven't completely migrated from open source yet, but I purchased the version that comes sans Outlook - that would be a step too far.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    Google.

Or Openhost - they have mail only plans.
    Probably a silly question as you are recommending them...... They say they are, but are Openhost reliable?

Quote Originally Posted by Webdevguy View Post
    I use 24/7 who are based on ChCh for my website. The do email hosting as well although I can't speak from experience. Their prices are pretty reasonable.

Yeah,, they were one of the ones I was looking at, along with Free Parking and Google. They're reliable and secure as all hell, but Google gives me the creeps and from what I understand, there's not great deal of support, but if needs be I'll jump their way.

Computer Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Murray P View Post
    Gidday Cy.

Office 365 is entirely cloud based, innit? I also have a slight aversion to the "all your stuff is our stuff" MS mantra. Though having said that, I recently purchased my first copies of MS Office (2010) since like ages and ages, but haven't completely migrated from open source yet, but I purchased the version that comes sans Outlook - that would be a step too far.
    Yes Office 365 is a cloud based service and do you need Outlook 2010 or newer to make the most of the service otherwise you would be using your web browser for it all the time, or a smartphone/tablet.
    You can configure it using the old POP3 access but then you lose one of the main features of Exchange and that is keeping your emails in sync on all your devices.