Default Dell Inspiron display error beep code, but display works fine

Hey guys,

So I got my sister's old laptop, a Dell Inspiron 13z n301z, recently, and unfortunately I cracked the screen. So I ship in a new screen, take apart the laptop and replace the screen. This is all working fine, until a few seconds after I switch it on, when the 8 beep error code starts playing, which according to the service manual means display error. The thing is, my display works fine. I'm typing this on the laptop. Once I get the laptop up and booted (not long, I chucked ubuntu on here - let me know if that could be the cause!), the error code will stop at a seemingly random time, and then occasionally start again at a seemingly random time. It gets rather annoying as you can imagine. Also, I checked the bios, there were no settings related to the display attached, and the bios was on the most updated version according to dell's website.

Any help would be great

Thanks,
    Skeptile

Default Re: Dell Inspiron display error beep code, but display works fine

Where did you get the screen from ?

Had to replace a older Dell screen after it arrived earlier this week, supplier had to look up the exact right one, because while some will work, if the wrong one you can have problems with not detecting or will work for a while then can fail, because of incorrect power etc.

Could be like the third party Dell Power Adapters , even though the voltage and watts are correct they have a component in them that the Laptop detects, if its not there ( third party Adapter) you'll get power related warnings even though its working.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 20-02-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Ok so this is where I got the screen. The first screen shipped didn't actually display anything, it just made the error code, so we got a second one and that is the current one.

Quick thing - when I plug speakers into the headphone jack, the beeping noise goes through the headphones instead. So my current fix is just to plug a 3.5mm plug in, but with no speakers on the end, which means I get no sound at all, but it stops the extremely annoying beeping noise.

Since its beeping with errors , obviously something is not being detected.

If you like I can contact my supplier and see if the one linked is actually the correct one, as sometimes theres various types depending on the model. May need some more info if there's any other model numbers on the Laptop.

Just an update -- Contacted my supplier, asked about the problem, as well as posted a link to the site. His reply: (Got his permission to post it)

First, run a BIOS update. If that doesnít help, take out adapter, battery, hold down power button for 10 seconds, reconnect and check. Sounds crazy, but often works with Inspirons. If that doesnít fix it, I suspect the panel is either faulty, or itís not compatible (which is very weird as itís working Ė usually itís a straight out failure).

I have had this issue myself with panels Iíve supplied on Inspirons (and some Vaioís), where the panel is a match physically and spec-wise, but itís a different model or revision, and doesnít work as a result. Iím not 100% sure of the reasons why, but for Inspironís I always source an exact panel from a supplier I have that can match model/revision. I suspect in this case that the model is different, so the way the computer is set up for brightness control differs to how that panel operates Ė hence the beep failure.

Get him to try the troubleshooting steps, and if thatís a nogo then go back to where he bought it from.

OK so a couple of things before I try the solutions. To the BIOS update, my BIOS is currently on the latest version according to dell (website), so I can't update it as such, so would I need to re-flash it? Or is there some way of resetting it? And for the power button fix, what adapter are you talking about? I can't think of anything which would be easy access that I could just take out.

Thanks so much for the help so far

BIOS --If its the latest, then leave it.

The adapter = the main power adapter you plug in. By unplugging that, and removing the battery, then holding down the power button for 10 seconds ( or longer) will drain all built-up / stored power in the system with the exception of the CMOS Battery. Then plug the battery / Power back in.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 21-02-2014 at 02:26 PM.

OK I'll do that now. Incidentally, at the start of the day it was beeping, but since I turned it on in the last few hours it hasn't made any noise even though I took the headphone cable out. brb :P

OK so I can confirm that the power button fix did not work. Thanks for the idea though.