Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mostly harmless member kingdragonfly's Avatar

Default Planning for a disaster

My friend works for a hospital IT department. The hospital has 434 beds and 13 operating theatres. It serves 270,000 locally, or 900,000 regionally.

Apparently there's been four previous disaster recovery projects in the last ten years. Typically two district health boards develop a mutual support relationship: Stuff is copied from one to the other, and the costs are split.

They were all fully planned, and burned up thousands of person hours, but never proceeded.

Repeatedly the local hospital board, in its infinite wisdom, has cancelled them all as too expensive.

So that brings us to today.

My friend been told the latest attempt at a disaster recovery project doesn't have a test budget, and that testing is out-of-scope.

I guess we really don't need hospitals in a disaster!

Default Re: Planning for a disaster

And we all know who will be the first to start jumping up and down and pointing fingers, blaming others if something happens and theres no recovery options in place.

Not much point planning for a disaster when you canít even get the day to day running of the hospitals into some semblance of order.

280,000 on waiting lists with a total population of only 4 million.

HERE
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Money is the problem here. Having a disaster recovery plan is a good idea. If a disaster were to happen the first question to be asked would be, "Why did we not have a disaster recovery plan."
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i3 540 3.07GHz, 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte H55-USB3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 450, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3300

The big problem is one of self centredness. IT people are the be all and end all, Surgeons, doctors, nurses, teachers etc likewise. But if you excel in your chosen field as most of these people do, that does not ensure they have the skills to run the place - the big problem with education are the teachers, the big problem with hospitals the medical profession.

What is needed is good management at the top. Think Dr Lester Levy and how he turned Middlemore around.

So let's not spend on tools necessarily, let's invest in how to clone Dr Levy ...

(Runs for cover praying to remain incognito in the event of hospital treatment being deemed necessary)

I'm with BM on this one

get the day to day running of the hospitals into some semblance of order
    Last edited by WalOne; 11-02-2014 at 10:16 AM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

VoidMaster

An NZ-wide problem, the individualistic personality which is aimed for and actively cultivated results in too many Chiefs and not enough Indians.

Big systems can be very complex but I am of the opinion that the problem is mostly incompetent management.

Most managers I have known have the gift of the gab but lack deep understanding of almost everything in general.

Plausible ignoramuses, like politicians, but with an good eye for the main chance.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    The big problem is one of self centredness. IT people are the be all and end all, Surgeons, doctors, nurses, teachers etc likewise. But if you excel in your chosen field as most of these people do, that does not ensure they have the skills to run the place - the big problem with education are the teachers, the big problem with hospitals the medical profession.

What is needed is good management at the top. Think Dr Lester Levy and how he turned Middlemore around.

So let's not spend on tools necessarily, let's invest in how to clone Dr Levy ...

(Runs for cover praying to remain incognito in the event of hospital treatment being deemed necessary)

I'm with BM on this one
    Good to hear about Middlemore Wal.

I’ve been wondering because a mate of mine (86 I think) went to visit his daughter in Auckland and fell ill. Anyway, despite his protestation he got taken to Middlemore where they checked him out and installed a Pacemaker on the spot. A week later he was back home and drinking up large at the RSA.

Had he taken ill down here there would have been a mountain of paper work to address and then a long wait for some action, by which time he would probably have died which would have required more form filling.

Clearly this Dr. Levy has his priorities sorted.

Locally we spend untold money and time on signs, many in many languages, but here’s a couple that appealed to me.

The first because I knew I wasn’t going to get smacked if I misbehaved and the second because regardless of which sign I chose to follow, I was out of there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smack Free Zone.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	5540 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hospital Silly Sign.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	5541
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Essentially I think our hospitals do a great job. Sure, as with any organisation they have their share of stuff ups, and the perceived inadequacies of hospital food is the butt of jokes worldwide.

But our hospitals are not five star luxury hotels nor are they meant to me. If you want that level of care, go private, You'll get TV (is that a plus?), en suite, carpeted floors, even a glass of wine (or two). But that's it. If you opt for the public system, you'll have to forgo those luxuries. But - you'll still have the same surgeons who may operate on you in the Ascots of the world.

I can personally give the thumbs up for Middlemore. A sailing accident had left me with a non-healing wound on a shin. A couple of weeks of DIY number 8 wire care (really elastoplast) and I ran out. Off to the local shop (there was only one) and explained what I wanted to the shop keeper; fortunately he was a retired ambulance man. Cut a long story short, he insisted on looking at the wound. That was at 5:30pm on a Friday night.

12:30 am Saturday morning I was out of surgery with a skin transplant over the wound. I think our hospitals do a great job, sometimes in spite of themselves, but I'll defend Middlemore any time.

As a passing thought:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Congealed Exits.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	5542

Last edited by WalOne; 11-02-2014 at 05:41 PM.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Re: Planning for a disaster :
    1/. Install W8
    2/. You have your disaster, deal with it. (Hint, an upgrade is a good start, Try XP if you must play with MS toys).
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    Off to the local shop (there was only one) and explained what I wanted to the shop keeper; fortunately he was a retired ambulance man. Cut a long story short, he insisted on looking at the wound. That was at 5:30pm on a Friday night.
    I gave my thanks to Middlemore, but I needed to include this guy, and put that right. Without him, I may have not have had two legs to stand on ...

Dr Lester Levy

Leonard Cohen