Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Wanderer

Default Re: Hard drive failure rate stats

I have 2x Seagate 80GB going still now
    I bought a Black 500GB WD and it was RMA'ed 2x then I auctioned it as a spare.

Seagate 500GB did have that firmware issue but it's fixed with the update. One of the HD wasn't updated and had to be RMA'ed.

I have 3 HDDs, 2 internal backed to each other and one external in my drawer. I don't expect HDs to work faultless.

Re Member

Sitting here yesterday,working on my friends laptop,and up popped a notice on my main pc saying one of my Seagate 1TB drives was faulty.
    Great timing,after reading this! Mind you,it was installed in Nov 2009.

Luckily I had a spare which was waiting to replace another one,so after transferring all my data it's now in place.Have ordered a WD green to replace another one that's got a caution notice on it as well!

Yeah, I've had some concerns that Seagate is so far ahead of WD when it comes to competitive pricing on the 4TB models... it suggests they've either got some superior tech allowing them to dominate that price point, OR they're running the gauntlet of lower quality/reliability. (shudders with Maxtor memories)

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post
    It's all pure LUCK.

Just buy what you feel comfortable with, the rest is all your luck.
    Statistically speaking that's not entirely true...
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Well, that's my view.

I don't take those kind of statistics seriously, it's fine just for my reading pleasure!

Certainly there's some luck involved, from the link in the original post.
    Having said that, you’ll notice that even after 3 years, by far most of the drives are still operating.
    Using the stats on that site around 3 quarters of users with a single PC < 3 years old should never have had a drive fail and will believe whatever brand they favour to be perfect (actually more than 3 years, those stats are from a high usage data centre applicatiom after all not a typical home computer scenario).

That's where statistics do come in useful, it lets us see which brands are most likely to be reliable to reduce the "luck" factor. Even people who repair PC's for a living can fall into the trap of "I've used xxx brand for years and had hardly any failures but had xxx brand fail repeatedly" when in fact they may have run into one bad batch at one time and steered clear of that brand ever since. It's hard for any of us to stay completely objective - and I don't exclude myself from that I have favourite brands too that may not be wholly justified. (I prefer Nvidia Video cards, Asus MB's, won't touch anything with "norton" in the name, and won't build a gaming PC with an AMD processor - all based on past experiences and not recent research)

We all do it, one bad negative experience sticks with us far more than many positive ones. I will probably not go back to seagate unless western digital mucks up - but I've never personally had a seagate drive fail I just got put off when I was looking for 2TB drives and they had that firmware problem. On the other hand I have had a WD drive fail once, but that was years ago and I did have it sandwiched between 2 other drives with no cooling in an old case with no gaps so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

^^ well said
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro