Default Connect an external drive to tv and computer at the same time with this?

I have a Samsung TV that allows me to watch recorded TV/movies form either one of two USB inputs on the TV.
    Rather than keeping removing the USB memory sticks to delete/add more files I have bought a WD external hard drive (with a single USB port) but have now realised that I will have to keep removing the hard drive from the TV to connect to my computer for adding extra files.

Don't know too much about this stuff, but if I bought this: (http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Electronic.../9999847428681 can I somehow use it to connect my external hard drive to my TV permanently (using the USB port) and connect my laptop as required via the NAS drive?
    Here is some more info on the Netdisc device: http://www.iocellnetworks.com/netdis...fast/#Overview

Thanks for any replies.
    Last edited by tims; 27-01-2014 at 08:49 AM.

Default Re: Connect an external drive to tv and computer at the same time with this?

Just had another look at the Netdisc at the link above and my understanding(?) is that I could connect the hard drive to the TV via the USB port on the Netdisc and connect my laptop to the Netdisc via the Ethernet Port thereby accessing the hard drive.
    Am I on the right track?

Default Re: Connect an external drive to tv and computer at the same time with this?

Does the TV have ethernet or wireless built in?

Older by the minute

Bear in mind that the external Hard drive will need to be formatted as FAT32 as TVs will not read NTFS.

The device has 2 ports which can be used to connect, USB or LAN (Ethernet)...You can connect the TV via USB and your router via ethernet. Any device on your router can then connect as well......I guess you could connect the laptop directly via network however you would have to understand networking in order to set IP addressing, which is where a router would come into play doing it for you.
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Thanks for your replies. One thing I'm not sure about is whether I can connect my drive to the Netdisc as I only have a USB connection on the external drive - will this connect OK?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SolMiester View Post
    The device has 2 ports which can be used to connect, USB or LAN (Ethernet)...You can connect the TV via USB and your router via ethernet. Any device on your router can then connect as well......I guess you could connect the laptop directly via network however you would have to understand networking in order to set IP addressing, which is where a router would come into play doing it for you.

When you speak of your drive, are you talking about the existing USB drive?....If so, no, the Netdisc has 2 ports, 1 ethernet to connect to router or pc, the miniUSB to connect to a PC, NOT to another USB drive!

TBH, I dont think the write up is that informative, and I dont know the brand. If you really want a device that allows your existing USB drive to attach to the NAS, I would suggest another brand.
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8