Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Computer Upgrade

Ok guys, Iím looking for the best way around this little problem.

We established in another thread that my old XP SP2 Ė Celron 2.4GHz Ė 2meg RAM was not grunty enough to do any video editing or run some of the latest programmes.

So I "acquired" a Win 7 machine with Duel Core Sepron processor and 3 Gigs of RAM.

Which leads me to the problem at hand.

What is the best way to keep all the programmes I have so they can all be used?

Now I have legitimate disks for Microsoft Office and other programmes but Iím not sure even they will install on the new machine.

I even have a couple of DOS programmes that I use and although I have the disks for them they are on 5 ľĒ floppys which probably canít be read even if I had a 5 ľ drive.

Then there are the programmes from Giveaway of the Day, some of which I hardly ever use, maybe once a year.

So you see reformatting and reinstalling all the programmes is not an option.

This must be a common problem, so what is the preferred method of overcoming it?
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

Default Re: Computer Upgrade

You'll have to reinstall programs if you want them to work. Depending on the version of office it may or may not work. Looks like office 2003/2010/2013 work / are compatible with Win7

Semprons are similar to Celeron CPU's. They're the lower spec CPU. So, it wont be that grunty either

If you want something better it'll have be either the latest 1150 system / or socket 775 system (which is pretty old now / but it's better that Celeron or Sempron).

Anything that doesnt have the word Sempron or Celeron in it
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 19-01-2014 at 09:01 AM.

You will need to check and see which of your programs will still run on Windows 7, baring in mind that a lot of what you bought to run on XP will probably be limited to running on Vista.

It's called forced obsolensence. My guess, in less you have bought the latest version of some programmes, a lot of what you have will get replaced by the newer versions.

Don't forget that XP is a 13 year old operating system now and that is a tech dinosaur. Most programmes would have a 3-4 year window of operation before they become redundant.

Pretends to know things

Might be worth trying this: http://www.maketecheasier.com/transf...pc-to-another/

Haven't used it personally, I just found it while having a look on Google. Normally I'll just reinstall all my major programs manually. Windows 7 seems to have decent compatibility with XP era programs. I find it's a good way to clean out the stuff I don't need without having to go through what was on the old computer manually. For other smaller free programs I'll use http://ninite.com/ to create an automated process to install stuff like skype. Saves me a bit of time.

You'll find that pretty much all DOS programs won't work in Windows 7 natively but for any DOS stuff that you want to keep you could give DOSBox a go: http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1 It's mainly used for emulating old DOS games but I see no reason why it shouldn't work with software as well.

Anybody familiar with this?

It's a Paragon product.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CropperCapture[187].jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	5480
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Pretends to know things

That will also copy your operating system and what not. It's good for copying an entire system or making backups but not for moving programs and/or files.

Iím not sure about any of this, hence the question.

But the way I see it, transferring everything to the new system is not an option. We must be looking at shifting the whole HDD physically or copying it to a separate partition on the new system and choosing which system a Boot time, or something along those lines.

Getting DOS programmes to work on XP was a bit of a mission itself (they had to be installed in the Root Directory and file name length reduced to 8 letters etc) and I canít see them working on Win 7 either.

For those wondering why one would still be using DOS programmes the answer is they are good programmes that were never upgraded.

Anyway, the bottom line is I donít wish to retire any of my existing programmes and if necessary Iíll put the new computer in the corner and only turn it on if I have something that wonít run on XP.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Getting DOS programmes to work on XP was a bit of a mission itself (they had to be installed in the Root Directory and file name length reduced to 8 letters etc) and I canít see them working on Win 7 either.

For those wondering why one would still be using DOS programmes the answer is they are good programmes that were never upgraded.

Anyway, the bottom line is I donít wish to retire any of my existing programmes and if necessary Iíll put the new computer in the corner and only turn it on if I have something that wonít run on XP.
    I have the same issue. Like you, there are a few rather old programs that I really like and use a fair bit which will most likely not run on Windows 8 when I upgrade. Fortunately I will still have a couple of Win XP machines that they run on but it is going to be a pain in the neck not having them on my main machine.

I hate this forced obsolescence business.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyMX View Post
    I have the same issue. Like you, there are a few rather old programs that I really like and use a fair bit which will most likely not run on Windows 8 when I upgrade. Fortunately I will still have a couple of Win XP machines that they run on but it is going to be a pain in the neck not having them on my main machine.

Forced obsolesance is a necessity in the software and electronics if a company is to remain healthy and survive. If you don't retire your old software and hardware after a set time frame then customer have no reason to by your new products and legacy software becomes and exponential financial drag on your resources which serves to stop a company moving forward and developing new products.
    Microsoft and Windows are living proof of this. It's one of the reasons why the company is struggling to keep up with the competition in smart phones and tablets. The other reason is because they try to be all things to everybody while doing none of them well.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyMX View Post

I thought the problem would be a lot more common than it appears to be.

But the more I think about it, if this Paragon option of copying you HDD as a Virtual Machine to a USB HDD which can be used on any machine, I can see there would be other fringe benefits and the more I warm to it.

I stand to be corrected but one would have another back-up for a start. The USB drive could be partitioned to store Music Ė Photos Ė Videoís etc and all could be carried in your pocket.

Of course all this is provided it works (but I understand Paragon are a fairly switched on outfit) and I understand the situation correctly.