Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default For those who prefer & use a free AV...

For the past month I have been using (trialling) the free internet security package Qihu 360 Internet Security package? It's a simple to use Chinese product which I have used to find and remove virus's & malware not found on other machines previously running MSSE, Norton's (not surprisingly) and AVG! Is there anybody else using or familiar with this AV program? I'm quite impressed but want to get a few 'in the wild' reviews before I recommend it to clients... It has been rated very highly by PC Advisor and PCMAG.com magazines (both 4.5/5) etc.

Default Re: For those who prefer & use a free AV...

Never heard of it before, but that doesn't mean a lot.

It cant be any worse than some of the above mentioned, AVG esp .

Just read the reviews, the PCMAG goes more in-depth, a couple of things stand out though:

1.Quite a few false positives, blocking legit programs.

I saw over six dozen popups with almost thirty different warning texts in the course of my testing. Among the warnings: A program is modifying a shortcut; Detected an attempt to bypass security software; Loading a suspicious driver; Adding suspicious task. You've got 30 seconds to decide what to do, after which the action is blocked automatically.
    Bad news -- to many people either ignore warnings OR have no idea whether to let something through or not. More often then not they click allow, and dont know whats being allowed, or block then wonder why something doesn't work anymore or sit there going errrrrrrrrrr Ummmmmm-- decisions.

Suggestion:
    If it was being put into a business or supplied to clients, it would be advisable to give some instructions on its usage, and possibly be there while it does its first scan - just in case.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 27-11-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Wink Re: For those who prefer & use a free AV...

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Never heard of it before, but that doesn't mean a lot.
    I'd never heard of it before either, but they claim to have over half a BILLION users in China so I decided to try it seeing now they have an English version and has been updated since the reviews. I suppose using the 'grey matter' a bit when making those decisions can be a bit foreign to some users though

IT Contractor

Not sure I'd really want to install adware to act as my antivirus, but to each his own.
    Windows 7 x64 // i5-3570K // 16GB DDR3-1600 // GTX660Ti 2GB // Samsung 830 120GB SSD // OCZ Agility4 120GB SSD
    Windows 7 x64 // Phenom II 955 // 8GB DDR3-1333 // GTX460 1GB // Corsair Force3 120GB SSD
    Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505

Quote Originally Posted by inphinity View Post
    Not sure I'd really want to install adware to act as my antivirus, but to each his own.
    Where do you get the idea it's adware? There is no evidence whatsoever of adware...

I'm using it because I think it was PC Authority reported it as being second best to the paid AV, Bitdefender and it uses 3 AV engines including Bitdefenders. Didn't see any refs to Eset Nod32 which I still think is the best - but hey, 360 internet security is free and I'm not exactly Fort Knox or CIA here anyway.

Computer Tech

Some light reading on it here:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=348585

Overall it seems people are happy with it and its performance.

Installed it on a older Vista system here today for a trial.
    Interface looks simple enough, but it's what happens behind the scenes that counts.

Sorry but it doesn't work good enough just did a simple back to back test. It missed some active infections I have on a drive here, where as Nod32, Norton and MSE goes nuts right away.

Theres a well known site Bleepingcomputer where you can download many antimalware programs, BUT over the last few months some of their advertising and download widgets on the site, Nod32 is detecting that are suspicious, the Free AV Qihu 360 doesn't detect them. Now they may only be false positives, but what else is it missing that others are picking up ??

The site, if you click on Download @ Bleeping Computer starts the download http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...-anti-malware/ - quite harmless, but its not just Bleeping computer that's triggering a response either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	5331

Maybe it's the only one of those that IS working correctly. After all bleepingcomputer.com has been operating for years with millions of downloads! and NO Antivirus program gets 100% anyway.
    Last edited by fnphoto; 28-11-2013 at 10:28 AM.