Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Browser Problem in Windows 8.1, only Firefox is working consistently

Just noticed that neither Internet Explorer nor Chrome is working properly on my Windows 8.1 laptop, only Firefox is working consistently. Some pages will simply not open at all with Page not found error, others will open then fail on the next link. LogMeIn lets me login but when I try to connect to any PC, it will just go blank or end up with page not found error, did that with half a dozen different logmein accounts and it ALWAYS work if I go to Firefox at that time. It is not specific page, it appears both IE and Chrome have gone weird. I have reset all settings in IE and Chrome and even uninstalled Chrome and re-installed it to no avail. All the browsers are the latest versions.

The worse thing is trying to access the Microsoft Partner site, it will not even open 95% of the time, but will open instantly in Firefox, however, I can't really go too much further as it warns me that I must use Internet Explorer! At the end, I went back to my trusty old XP desktop and it worked there in IE8.

Try opening Pressf1.co.nz ended up with could not connect error in Chrome, Firefox worked as expect, IE took almost 3 minutes to open the first page, then about 30 secs to open the PressF1 forum page.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IE11.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	5305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chrome ver.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	5306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Browsers.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	5307

Is anyone having similar problems??
    Last edited by Geek4414; 20-11-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Default Re: Browser Problem in Windows 8.1, only Firefox is working consistently

Might be a corrupt chrome profile? Try uninstalling it again delete its folders, then reinstall it. Have you scanned the PC for malware?

Default Re: Browser Problem in Windows 8.1, only Firefox is working consistently

There is no malware on this laptop, I keep it very clean. Have reset Chrome settings and uninstalled and re-installed, have not try manually deleting the folders. But problem is also with IE, in fact, IE is worse than Chrome. Firefox is working like a charm though.

I could have a look with teamviewer if you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    I could have a look with teamviewer if you want?
    Just tried to PM you in IE, didn't work.

Old guy

Open IE11 then press F12 change the bottom <default> to <emulate IE10> it will then work fine. If you minimise rather than close that page that setting sticks as long as you have IE open otherwise you need to go through the same thing with the next page which will not open.

Old guy

Speedy if you find a better answer I am most interested having spent considerable time searching for one. I have tried several possible fixes without result about the only thing I have not tried is changing my DNS as my technicolor VDSL router has no easy way to try it. Why that would work with IE11 when FF does not have a problem is beyond me but a few people reckon it does.

The symptoms described by Geek4414 are quite common.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    Open IE11 then press F12 change the bottom <default> to <emulate IE10> it will then work fine. If you minimise rather than close that page that setting sticks as long as you have IE open otherwise you need to go through the same thing with the next page which will not open.
    This does seem to work better in IE, but not sure why Chrome is having same issue though?

Speedy/Clive , just applied the IE11 security update, and rebooted, now PressF1 open quick in IE and Chrome!

Even attached this screen cap, all in IE!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	update.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	5308

Even the MS Partner site opens now! Woohoo, will have to try to log in though, will see shortly.
    Last edited by Geek4414; 20-11-2013 at 03:41 PM.

There you go. It pays to install updates