Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default create a system image

recently upgraded to W7 from XP, with XP I had the O/S disk to make any repairs or add/remove programmes etc, but with W7 I didn't get a disk, the "builder" says I don't need one 'cause W7 can e.g repair itself or if necessary go back to using system restore. I see there's a "create a system image" facility, can anyone throw some light on that please?

Default Re: create a system image

Quite easy really, type backup into the search field and click on backup and restore, you will see the option for creating O/S image along with data backup
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

what disk? I've got DVD-RW (4.7Gb) and CD-R (700Mb)

you really need a second hard drive, preferably an external one, to do a system image. Did you at least get a COA key for windos 7? if so you can always borrow or copy someone elses disk and use your own key if you ever need to repair/ re install.
    You do have the option to make a recovery disk as well which can be used for repairs and restoring the image file. try a search on recovery.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

A Product I D yes, is that the same thing?

No the product id is what's generated by the key. The key is 25 characters, like xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

how can I get a COA key?

Mm See if something like this will tell you

If it doesnt tell you, then go back to the builder or whoever installed Win7

If you paid for windows 7 and it's installed on the PC then the seller must supply you with the key, normally it's a sticker affixed to the case but I leave mine attached to the case of the disk because I change cases a lot.
    It's debatable whether they must supply you with a disk but at a minimum there must be a key and a way to restore windows which can be in the form of a hidden restore partition for OEM hardware.

Anything else and I'd suspect you have a dodgy version of windows. Maybe you have it and it's not obvious, ask whoever you got it from where your key is.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Hi Speedy, got 5 * 5 characters, if I ever need to use it I can get the W7 disk off the "builder" - thanks, again!