Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: upgrade time

Default Re: upgrade time

Tweaké, check out ASrocks new Z87 motherboards for the Haswell chip....They have a built in iCloud interface for remote anything and a great list of extra features you pay a premium for on Gigabyte and ASUS boards..
    http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=1958789 @ $184
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87%20Pro4/

Yes S is low wattage 65w
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

I'm more of a fan of the OCZ / Samsung SSD's than the Intel ones. Intel are definitely highest on reliability, but I've had better performance from the Samsung / OCZ ones.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

I think most people would struggle to notice that diff between SSD & spindle anyway, let alone 2 diff SSD, unless you are benching of course......I am so over sandforce controllers, i use Intel now just because they are so reliable....
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Quote Originally Posted by SolMiester View Post
    I think most people would struggle to notice that diff between SSD & spindle anyway
    Really? I reckon there is a massive and noticeable difference. For what most people use their computer for, the mechanical hard drive has been the main bottleneck for a long time. Putting even a cheap SSD into a PC or laptop makes it 'feel' a lot faster.

You give someone who uses their PC for solitaire and emails a quad core i7 with 8GB of RAM and a mechanical hard drive, or a cheap AM2 build with an SSD, bet you they will think the AM2 is faster.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    Really? I reckon there is a massive and noticeable difference. For what most people use their computer for, the mechanical hard drive has been the main bottleneck for a long time. Putting even a cheap SSD into a PC or laptop makes it 'feel' a lot faster.

You give someone who uses their PC for solitaire and emails a quad core i7 with 8GB of RAM and a mechanical hard drive, or a cheap AM2 build with an SSD, bet you they will think the AM2 is faster.
    I use SSDs everyday on my PCs, normal users have spindles...I disagree that the diff is noticeable, especially when the PC is running....guess it depends on workload...but e-mail & internet...nah!

Fair point - I am more thinking of bootup/opening programs, especially bootup.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    Fair point - I am more thinking of bootup/opening programs, especially bootup.
    Most office programs are open all day, RAM is cheap...SSD is a lot of wedge to blow on booting up!..TBH, id rather spend it on dGPU

Had a discussion about SSDs with my son the other day. He thought I would notice a big difference and I didn't think I would!

I've never used an SSD, but, given I sleep my machine thus eliminating 95% of boot lags, and that I have an I5 with 8GB RAM, I am comfortable with the responsiveness I get now. The progs I mostly use are open all day, as well.

I'll tell him an eminent expert agrees with me!!

Wouldn't turn one down if Santa provided though!!

Yeah sleeping the PC does negate most of the boot advantage. I shut mine down most nights though and install a few large games on mine so I feel it's worthwhile.

During my last rebuild I briefly went back to regular HDD and That's when I really noticed the difference, much more than when I switched the other way originally.
    Once you get used to it you wouldn't want to go back.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

People still turn off their PCs?.../joke