Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Windows 8 Explorer

I had the pleasure of tutoring a chap with Windows 8 today who was wanting to know how to import, navigate and view his photos on his Windows 8 laptop. Not having had more than a 10 minute play with W8 before I got a bit stumped when it came to viewing his pics. In Windows Explorer we double-clicked on a pic to view it but it was a two-step process to get back to the Explorer window by pressing the Windows key then clicking the tile for Desktop.

Is this the correct process? Pressing Esc just took us the picture tiles (if that is the correct term) rather than Explorer. I hope there is a better way to explore his picture folders than that.

Default Re: Windows 8 Explorer

Help him out by installing Picasa.

Right mouse on a pic / open with. Select windows photo viewer.

Adding to Speedy's post - if you want to set the default viewer to Windows Photo Viewer, when open with down the bottom of that window is Select default program, open that select Windows Photo Viewer.

To close the Default App viewer in Windows 8, ( as you described) move your mouse to the top of the screen, when it turns to a hand, hold down the left click button on mouse, then drag it to the bottom of the page, it will first shrink, then close -- this is the actions as working with a touch screen.

Edited: the above action works on all W8 Apps ( including the desktop) that doesn't have the X top right hand corner.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 08-08-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    Help him out by installing Picasa.
    Will definitely be advising that he install a third-party photo viewer but need to get up to speed with Win8 all the same.

Speedy and Wainui, thanks for that, especially Wainui for the tips on closing windows/apps. Very helpful. Now perhaps I won't look a complete idiot when I see him again next week.

At least his teenagers couldn't do it either, apparently.

One thing I forgot to mention before ( been one of those days - Dont ask lol) if the screen is a touch screen, you can put your finger on the top edge of the open app/window, press down ( as touching) and drag the window down , it will shrink, and close once closer to the bottom of the screen.

Is there usually a sticker on a laptop that denotes it has a touch screen? He tried dragging a window with his finger but the only outcome was a greasy fingerprint on the screen.

You could also switch back to the desktop (or whatever app you used last) by clicking the top left corner of the screen - the Pictures app will stay open though.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

I'm a mouse user and I sympathise, I had the same issue when I switched to 8. The easiest way to switch back and forth is good old "alt tab" but yes like Speedy and Wainui mention I changed the file association to use windows photo viewer and it's much better. I've been progressivley doing this every time a metro app annoys me and windows 8 is getting less annoying over time as a result. Photo's, video's, music - all changed to desktop apps so far. I also unpinned about half of the default tiles that I have no interest in. I don't like the metro browser either.

Something that could be improved in 8 is a bit more context awareness - it should launch desktop apps by default from the desktop IMO and leave "metro" apps to be launched from metro. Not going to happen of course, MS seemed determined to convince us these new apps are better. At least they still include all the desktop versions.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Thanks for the good tips, people.

dugimodo I tried the ALT+TAB but it didn't go back to the Explorer window. Can't remember now where it did go. From your post it sounds like there are two versions of programs for photos, videos and music as you mention desktop apps and metro apps. Are the desktop apps the same/similar to Win7 programs?

Apart from the issues you mention, how are you liking Win8 now? After customising it to your requirements do you prefer it to Win7 or XP?