Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Orcon to Telecom

Well Foxy, I know of some people who were with Orcon, mail worked for around 3-4 months after and then stopped. What you are basically saying is orcon are letting people have accounts for free, and if the person is with xtra, xtra dont allow relaying to other ISP's (had that yesterday) Mails wouldn't work as their account with the previous ISP had been closed a few weeks earlier.

but at a guess it is because WLM is web based mail and can only handle emails to Hotmail and WLM?
    No, Windows Live mail can handle any ISP's mail, all it needs to be done is set up the persons user name, passwords and correct settings for the ISP concerned. Works no different to Outlook Express, Outlook , Thunderbird or any other email client etc.

Edited: just saying shes not getting mails from orcon or xtra really doesn't mean a lot - whats the error message ???
    Last edited by wainuitech; 06-08-2013 at 08:07 AM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Try setting up the accounts again as per the ISP's individual settings for each?

Xtra
    http://help.telecom.co.nz/app/answer...dows-live-mail
    Orcon
    http://www.orcon.net.nz/support/gfaq..._imap_settings
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Well Foxy, I know of some people who were with Orcon, mail worked for around 3-4 months after and then stopped. What you are basically saying is orcon are letting people have accounts for free, and if the person is with xtra, xtra dont allow relaying to other ISP's (had that yesterday) Mails wouldn't work as their account with the previous ISP had been closed a few weeks earlier.
    Well, surprise surprise but I can no longer find any mention of the free lifetime email details on Orcon's website so I guess they have now dropped it. The four or five addresses that I have still work however, so they are honouring the old contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyMX View Post
    Well, surprise surprise but I can no longer find any mention of the free lifetime email details on Orcon's website so I guess they have now dropped it. The four or five addresses that I have still work however, so they are honouring the old contracts.
    No idea sorry ( relating to Orcon) BUT I do know that xtra wont allow relaying, this is when a person tries to send out mail ( Use orcan account as an example) through their xtra email account connection / account.
    There is a way around it, you have to change the setting in the advanced options and enter the other (orcon) account user name and password.

Why xtra allow any other ISP's mail to come in but block the outgoing doesn't make any sense. Mind you - some times ISP's reasoning is beyond a logical reason
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

No idea sorry ( relating to Orcon) BUT I do know that xtra wont allow relaying, this is when a person tries to send out mail ( Use orcan account as an example) through their xtra email account connection / account.
    There is a way around it, you have to change the setting in the advanced options and enter the other (orcon) account user name and password.

Why xtra allow any other ISP's mail to come in but block the outgoing doesn't make any sense. Mind you - some times ISP's reasoning is beyond a logical reason
    It is so they can say they are "being proactive about preventing spambots on their network" by making sure you can't use port 25 on their network unless you are connecting to their server. Also, most ISPs do not allow other networks to relay through their SMTP server, probably because it is easier to just whitelist their own network than maintain a blacklist/whitelist for all networks their customers are and are not likely to use.
    Intel Core i5-3470 CPU
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    1TB HDD
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 graphics card
    Enermax Tomahawk II 500W PSU
    Antec 300 case
    Win7 Pro (Action Pack :D)

surprisingly quick even without an SSD

Of course it makes sense, when you get mail you are logging in with username and password.
    When you send mail there is no requirement to log in hence the need to restrict sending through the SMTP server unless your connection is with that ISP otherwise spammers can flood the ISP SMTP with spam emails. No ISP will allow that, which is called an open relay as it results in the mail server IP getting added to spam black lists and then even customers of that ISP can't get mail delivered.

The way around it is of course to set the mail client to use SSL secure SMTP where username and password is required to send mail.
    All smart phomes and iPads etc need to be setup this way as they are connecting to various wireless connections and this allows mail to be sent through your own ISP server even if you are connected to an ISP on the other side of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Safari View Post
    The way around it is of course to set the mail client to use SSL secure SMTP where username and password is required to send mail.
    All smart phomes and iPads etc need to be setup this way as they are connecting to various wireless connections and this allows mail to be sent through your own ISP server even if you are connected to an ISP on the other side of the world.
    If only all mail servers supported this, and IMAP too, and before the wishlist closes, lets add a reasonable amount of storage.
    Intel Core i5-3470 CPU
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    1TB HDD
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 graphics card
    Enermax Tomahawk II 500W PSU
    Antec 300 case
    Win7 Pro (Action Pack :D)

surprisingly quick even without an SSD

Simple really, goes back to when they had issues with spam being sent from their customers/users internet connections
    It did make alot of sense to block PORT25, thats why its also blocked on Company networks (except for the server), as infected PC's can send out alot of spam via port25, causing the company to get blacklisted (seen this a few times).
    http://help.telecom.co.nz/app/answer...tant-for-me%3F

But now that many ISPs use other ports for SMTP/sending, is it still worthwhile for Telecom blocking port25 ??

Not sorted yet but will keep trying. Thanks. PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

When I send email from my Telecom account to mail.orcon.net.nz I use port 587 or I could use smtp.xtra.co.nz. Both seem to work
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company