Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can Xbox games be backed up?

Now, before anyone starts yelling the dirty DRM acronym to me let me pre-empt:

1) I do not download illegal music, I buy Flac from legit websites or buy cd's, nor download movies, videos etc.

2) I have Xbox games for my kids (I do not play xbox) that are getting more and more scratched and we lost a few that won't play any longer. These games cost a bit to buy.

All I am asking if there is a sure fire way to back those original games, which we bought, without having to mod the console.

Any of you have tried to do so, adn/or found a way to back up those very expensive games?

Cheers
    Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.

Default Re: Can Xbox games be backed up?

PM sent

Got that. Thanks Speedy.

Modding the box is not a viable option in my view though, so I may have to live with the status quo.

No probs

Not that I'm aware of, they are designed specifically to prevent copying of course.
    However as long as scratches are only on the bottom side and not all the way through they can be repaired. The disk is a thim film of metal (like tin foil) on the label side and the rest is plastic. I've had success with a cloth and some brasso and a bit of brutal rubbing on a CD that was unplayable and have also tried a scratch removal kit and an electric removal device from Dick smiths - all worked in varying degrees, particularly deep scratches do seem to be beyond them though. For serious repairs you'd need to fill deep scratches with some sort of index matched filler.

Anyway the brasso and a soft cloth method is cheap and worth a crack if the disk doesn't work anyway - it's got a fine grit in it, other similar things might work. i wondered about Jiff but it seemed too coarse.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Cheers Dugi, I'll try that. Actually you made me think that most movie outlets would have cleaning, scratch removing machinery. I'll ask if they provide a repair service.

Alternatively I may have a look at the availability of that type of machines in the market - could be a worthy investment, no?

Ask the supplier.
    As you have bought a "licence to use the software" rather than a physical item that you own, they would appear to be in breach of the contract if you can no longer use said software.

Quote Originally Posted by fred_fish View Post
    Ask the supplier.
    As you have bought a "licence to use the software" rather than a physical item that you own, they would appear to be in breach of the contract if you can no longer use said software.
    If you bought it and it was unplayable, then you might have a case. Otherwise, no they will just laugh at you and ask you to pay up for another copy.

Quote Originally Posted by autechre View Post
    If you bought it and it was unplayable, then you might have a case. Otherwise, no they will just laugh at you and ask you to pay up for another copy.
    You mean another licence?
    Why would he need two licences to use the same software?
    Lay me down the long white line
    Leave the sirens far behind me
    Paint my name in black and gold
    My heart my flame my heart my road

Sent you a pm Sanco

Not sure if it's any help or not