Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default PC World & Computerworld NZ Are No more after 1st July 2013

From NBR (The National Business Review): http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/fairfax...-titles-140920

UPDATE / June 17: NBR ONLINE has obtained a copy of a press release Fairfax will shortly send on the closure of NZ PC World, Computerworld NZ and Reseller News.

The final Fairfax-licensed issues of each publication will be in July. The statement says there will be job losses - indicating a tighter situation than the closure of the Independent, when reporters were reallocated to a busiiness reporting hub.

The press release says IDG - the multinational publisher behind the titles - will continue to serve the New Zealand market. And a source close to negotiations tells NBR there are four parties interested in picking up the local licenses to PC World, Comptuerworld and Reseller.

However, the fact Faifax plans to keep CIO magazine - the stable's cash cow, by dint of its associated events business - limits the appeal of the other titles.

Another disincentive: NBR understands IDG takes a flat cut of revenue from licensees, rain or shine - not an attractive proposition when the titles face a loss-making period of rebuilding.

The press release reads:
    Media Release
    17 June 2013
    Fairfax Magazines resign technology title licences

Fairfax Magazines will resign the licences, owned by IDG, to publish technology titles Computerworld, Reseller News and PC World early next month.

The decision has been made to close the print and websites of the titles under the Fairfax banner as the wider group adapts to changes driven by the current economic climate in publishing worldwide.

“As much as we regret having to make this tough decision, we believe it is in the best interest of our long-term success as a producer of quality content for New Zealanders,” says Lynley Belton, Fairfax
    Magazines general manager.

“With change comes opportunity, and we are looking at ways to increase our technology presence across other Fairfax channels as the business adapts.”

Staff are being consulted about their options to remain within the company, but it does look likely that job losses will occur.

“We are proud to have been associated with all three titles for the last seven years and would like to thank staff, both past and present, who have contributed to quality IT journalism during that time,” says Belton.

All subscribers will be contacted and refunded for issues they will not receive.

The final date of publication are: Computerworld July 1, Reseller News July 5 and PC World July 1. IDG plans to continue serving the New Zealand market with its global brands and products, and will announce its plans shortly.

"The announcement is very unfortunate news for the IT sector as a whole, with Computerworld having been a part of our industry for over 27 years," Insititute of IT Professionals NZ CEO Paul Matthews told NBR.

"While it is possible the titles might be picked up by someone else, it’s looking likely that this is the end of an era," Mr Matthews says.

"The editors, journalists and others involved in these publications over many years have done a great service to our industry and these publications will be sorely missed."

RIP PC World

Default Re: PC World & Computerworld NZ Are No more after 1st July 2013

All subscribers will be contacted and refunded for issues they will not receive.
    I see that I can expect some money in the post soon for subscriptions paid in advance.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i3 540 3.07GHz, 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte H55-USB3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 450, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3300

Yes it is rather disappointing I really love the magazine, I hope someone pick up the Mantle and runs with it to continue publishing PC world... I have all the magazines from day 1, with the odd missing issue here or there. and a majority of the cd's/dvd's that came with them

Good riddance.

Ever since Zara came on the scene, everything turned to pure ****.
    PC: Intel® Core™ i5-650 3.20 GHz | Intel® Desktop Board DQ57TM | 8GB DDR3 RAM | Radeon HD 4870 | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Quote Originally Posted by goodiesguy View Post
    Good riddance.
    What a disrespectful and immature thing to say. You do realise people will be losing their jobs? You are too young to realise the history that is going to be lost. What are you even a member here, or continue to log in if you have that attitude?

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    What a disrespectful and immature thing to say.
    That is your opinion which you are perfectly entitled to have and voice. Thus does not make it true and all depends on one's views of social behaviour and what is seen as acceptable to that individual.

You do realize people will be losing their jobs?
    This is not my problem in any conceivable way, nor will I put the burden on myself to make it my problem. If recent events (and earlier) had been handled better, such as less recycling of the same old articles for one example, The mag still might be around.

You are too young to realize the history that is going to be lost.
    Definitely the mag WAS a great piece of publication, with many great issues which I still own and read regularly once in a while, but at this time when it's at it's lowest it can possibly be, it's nice to see it put out of it's misery.

What are you even a member here, or continue to log in if you have that attitude?
    I became a member of what was once a great community with great people, always humor and great discussion. I still check daily to see if the old place is gone. As I have said, with the way things are now, it really needs to be put to rest.

Once again, it WAS a nice place and mag, gave all us many happy years, but R.I.P.
    PC: Intel® Core™ i5-650 3.20 GHz | Intel® Desktop Board DQ57TM | 8GB DDR3 RAM | Radeon HD 4870 | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Obviously goodiesguy you don't give a **** for people and their jobs. I for one looked forward to getting NZ PCWorld every month but you can now go back to doing what ever you do for a day job which i hope for your sake is more secure than most jobs in this country..
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

What a disrespectful and immature thing to say. You do realise people will be losing their jobs? You are too young to realise the history that is going to be lost. What are you even a member here, or continue to log in if you have that attitude?
    why don't you make him your last permement ban....nobody will question the reasons why.
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

And on different note, I have really enjoyed being a member here and will miss it..losing your job sucks....
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Can't believe you would say something like that goodiesguy, so rude and immature - I second Plod's idea of a permanent ban, just for old time's sake.

Do you even have to work? Still live at home? It baffles me how someone could make a comment like that, regardless of their circumstances.

The Mag may not be quite what it was a few years ago, but I for one still very much enjoy getting it each month and having a good read, it, and the forums, will be missed. If you don't like something, no one is forcing you to read it/participate in it, but being downright rude and disrespectful for the people who have put countless hours of their own time into moderating this forum, and for the people working for the mags who may lose their jobs really is the lowest of the low.

The only 'Stoopid Irriot' around here is you.
    Last edited by wratterus; 18-06-2013 at 08:53 AM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."