Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Maori tattoo doesn't cut it at Air NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    She says tattoos are part of NZ culture, sure isn't part of mine.
    Not part of my culture, either.

What do they mean by "NZ culture"? Is that another word for "maori culture"? I think that must be the case as I doubt that tatoos are part of European culture. Certainly, Europeans have tatoos, but I would not have thought that one would consider them part of European culture.

I too, support Air NZ. If visible tatoos are not allowed then you should not get a job with Air NZ if your tatoos are visible. I can't see what is wrong with that.

I'm certain that there is only a fuss because she is maori. If she was European it would an open and shut case. If you have a tatoo then no job with Air NZ. It's only when there is a maori involved are there cries of discrimination. Rascist, even. Tell her to go elsewhere.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

People should be bloody careful where they put their tattoos
    she may not even get a job at mcdonalds for having a tattoo there

Personally i want a tattoo where she has one but if i got turned down for a job because of it i sure as hell wouldnt go bleating to the media about it, ***
    Multiplayer games are the Shizz "Theres nothing like killing your mates!" Me

Well she claims (incorrectly) double standards regarding AirNZ's Koru design, firstly it's not a tattoo so your "double standards" argument is invalid but she's incredibly hypocritical if she thinks her tattoo is "better" than everyone else's tattoo.

If you allow Maori tattoos where do you draw the line on what's acceptable or not? The rule is you cannot have a visible tattoo. There is it, you could get a giant tat of your balls on your back for all AirNZ care as long as it isn't visible.

Thats the line, visible. Deal with it lady, your culture doesn't change the situation in this case.
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    I find most people who have tatoos are drug users.
    Prefect, you have some good posts, and then you ruin it by saying utter rubbish like this. Maybe you just hang around in the wrong circle of people lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Not part of my culture, either.

What do they mean by "NZ culture"? Is that another word for "maori culture"? I think that must be the case as I doubt that tatoos are part of European culture. Certainly, Europeans have tatoos, but I would not have thought that one would consider them part of European culture.

I too, support Air NZ. If visible tatoos are not allowed then you should not get a job with Air NZ if your tatoos are visible. I can't see what is wrong with that.

I'm certain that there is only a fuss because she is maori. If she was European it would an open and shut case. If you have a tatoo then no job with Air NZ. It's only when there is a maori involved are there cries of discrimination. Rascist, even. Tell her to go elsewhere.
    Not part of European culture? Im not so sure, some of the oldest preserved bodies found have been found to have tattooed skin. It was also very much the culture of early sailors and even many in the navy today I believe. What about the early Celts, Picts races? I havent done any research, but they might go way back in time, but as you say, do you call that European Culture? Not sure.
    Maybe they were all drug users?
    Intel Water Cooled i7 3770k, ,Z77X UB5, 30Gb mSATA SSD, 16Gb XPG DDR3 1600 Ram, 2x 1Tb HDD, GTX 670, Blu-Ray RW, Enermax NAXN 750W, CM HAF 912 Advanced Case.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

That's why I got my tattoo on my shoulder, so it's coverable by a shirt, even though it's not exactly small.
    Mine's not something I'm ashamed of in any way, shape, or form, but rather that I know others can take offence to that kind of thing. I'm just clever enough not to hinder my job prospects as a result of it

@prefect
    Never done drugs either
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    I find most people who have tatoos are drug users.
    or sailors

This was probably true a while back, and the perception still persists.
    Thats some employers are anti-tatoo, its not the sort of image they want employees to project.

If you dont like the Employers dress code, dont apply for the job.

Since decoration of a cultural nature appears to be desirable to the politically correct brigade, I wonder if they will allow mine? I am of direct Celtic descent so perhaps if I turn up as a passenger dressed only in a coating of blue woad, they won't complain? I might even apply for a job with my enhancement of the Air NZ uniform. I promise to bring my bronze spear (which is far superior to the Maori stone ones.) And older, too.

Pix or it didn't happen!
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:

Mixed Member

....don't know. A few years ago I'd have agreed with all of you. Certainly my teenagers aren't attracted to tattoos but they can't see the fuss either.

The reality is many younger people sport tattoos and they have become mainstream. In my day bikers and sailors were the only people who had them but that has changed in a major way.

Air New Zealand merrily paint Maori moko on their aeroplanes and celebrate our culture. It does seem inconsistent to reject a person with the same type of decoration.

You should see Hawaii... over 3/4 of the people over there had them, all fully visible too. If you *didn't* have one, you were most certainly in the minority.