Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Default Re: PC World Chat will close this Friday

Quote Originally Posted by plod View Post
    do you allow homos
    Yes, of course. Your attempts to annoy or get a reaction out of me are humorous at best.
    PC: Intel® Core™ i5-650 3.20 GHz | Intel® Desktop Board DQ57TM | 8GB DDR3 RAM | Radeon HD 4870 | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Quote Originally Posted by goodiesguy View Post
    Yes, of course. Your attempts to annoy or get a reaction out of me are humorous at best.
    just seeing how tolerant the mods are in the last week, just like the last week of school
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan Keogh View Post
    Not sure it's possibly to get exact figures on that because it's lumped in with the rest of the website. I had a look in the admin console but can't find anything specific - I will ask around tomorrow.

What I do know is that we make next to nothing on ads, and many of our users use ad block.

Anyway, the hosting costs aren't the only reason we're getting rid of Chat, so it doesn't really matter - we still have to abide by Fairfax policy and pre-approve everything, while eliminating stuff that could be construed as cyber bullying, hate speech, etc. which still creates more work than we can handle without increasing costs, even if we take on other mods. The legal risk is as much a problem as the cost. I thought I'd made that pretty clear so it's not really a Red Herring...
    Mightn't matter to you, but it matters to me if Im considering registering a domain name and setting up a forum board where people here can be a community and talk and get close to instant help for their pc issues by people with 100s of combined years of knowledge and experience.

Dont care about the advert impressions or whats made out of them, its not about the money so much as providing people here with a service but I only have a limited amount of monthly bandwidth which is why I was asking.

I know very well the closing of the chat isnt to do with hosting costs, its just being used as part of the excuse to try and justify it. Sad part is that they are silly enough to think that getting rid of chat and pre-approving posts that they are going to retain all the members and cut the work down for moderators. Where ever these people end up, do you really think they will come back here for help or ask for it where they are with thier friends. The chat is a big part of what keeps this community together, people have built up trust and friendships that go back years - not that fairfax care, because that doesnt make them enough dollars.
    Intel Water Cooled i7 3770k, ,Z77X UB5, 30Gb mSATA SSD, 16Gb XPG DDR3 1600 Ram, 2x 1Tb HDD, GTX 670, Blu-Ray RW, Enermax NAXN 750W, CM HAF 912 Advanced Case.

Somewhere ......... near here....sometimes...near there too.......

To put it bluntly with out chat being here i have no reason to be here..................so 10 years of being here has just gone down the gurgler.......... cos when its gone on friday......sadly so will i be gone............. you wont allow OT in pf1 so ive no reason to stay. cos i dont know anything enuf to be a helpful geek. im always one of the ones in distress here. or just hanging out in chat

and google+ wont allow just my username.......... and i dont really want to give out all those other details to the world either............

but am willing to look at options.........
    Im not trying to be difficult it just comes naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Iantech View Post
    Mightn't matter to you, but it matters to me if Im considering registering a domain name and setting up a forum board where people here can be a community and talk and get close to instant help for their pc issues by people with 100s of combined years of knowledge and experience.

Dont care about the advert impressions or whats made out of them, its not about the money so much as providing people here with a service but I only have a limited amount of monthly bandwidth which is why I was asking.

I know very well the closing of the chat isnt to do with hosting costs, its just being used as part of the excuse to try and justify it. Sad part is that they are silly enough to think that getting rid of chat and pre-approving posts that they are going to retain all the members and cut the work down for moderators. Where ever these people end up, do you really think they will come back here for help or ask for it where they are with thier friends. The chat is a big part of what keeps this community together, people have built up trust and friendships that go back years - not that fairfax care, because that doesnt make them enough dollars.
    i will go as far to say the chat forum is the busier of the two.

@ beetle

in G+ you can add a nickname in addition to your real name to make it easier for other to find you

just go to your profile, click on the banner to change your name, then more, then add you nickname, set it to display how you want and you're done.

here's the G+ community
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...11503332249890
    Last edited by GameJunkie; 27-05-2013 at 09:09 PM.
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

JOIN THE FREE FORUMS!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by beetle View Post
    To put it bluntly with out chat being here i have no reason to be here..................so 10 years of being here has just gone down the gurgler.......... cos when its gone on friday......sadly so will i be gone............. you wont allow OT in pf1 so ive no reason to stay. cos i dont know anything enuf to be a helpful geek. im always one of the ones in distress here. or just hanging out in chat

and google+ wont allow just my username.......... and i dont really want to give out all those other details to the world either............

but am willing to look at options.........
    try goodiesguy link beetle, maybe Ian comes up with something

A pity. I have just renewed my PC World subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by goodiesguy View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PressF1.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	5016
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter