Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: PC World Chat will close this Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan Keogh View Post
    Ha! I could probably even dig up a prize for that, if I could find a way of figuring out who the last post came from...
    I think the last post has been played already!!!

Sad news. I will miss all of my online fellow members.

Ken

Alas, poor PF1 chat! I knew them, Horatio: fellows
    of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Oh well I've joined the G+ Community, why not.

Must admit I've not always seen eye-to-eye with Iantech but I agree with him, I would have thought the forums Ads would have made more than enough to cover the cost of the hosting etc, but I guess if lawyers fees ever *did* come into the picture then that'd suck up things pretty damn quickly.

Will we be moving the Chat Forum archives in to the PF1 forum for historical reasons? Or will they just be deleted?

At least that damn music thread will go, I've been waiting for an excuse to delete it for years now

EDIT: Does this mean we'll get paid with swag and loot? I recall the last time that happened, I honestly still have that bag and thumbdrive from roughly 7 or 8 years ago! The two of them are *solid*, I should take a photo!
    Last edited by Chilling_Silence; 27-05-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Correct my English!

Guys.

My birthday is on this coming Friday (i.e. 31st of May).

I suppose you all know what to do...

... Start posting "Happy Birthday" to me now so that web.archive.org has the time to crawl through PCWorld Chat and capture the happy moments (for me).

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

No one's getting paid for either of those, and if we kept the chat section BOTH would need to be pre-approved as per Fairfax policy, not just Press F1. I am spending a few minutes a day approving stuff for the PF1 side and the existing volunteer mods will help as well.

Edit: So basically we've gone "How much can the existing staff handle, if everything needs to be pre-moderated?" Does that make more sense?
    Sorry but thats a joke-- I think my 6 months for PF1 may have been a bit over rated, reduce that to 1 month.

A few minutes a day -- come on serious ??? When the forum is "running hot" so to speak, there are a LOT of posts daily, someone asks a question they don't want to wait for days to get a reply.

You would be far better off having a few more volunteer moderators. Sure The ones we have now do a good job, but like everyone else they have lives as well.

Off topic but similar -- I Admin a group in Facebook, there are two other moderators as well, one of which is not in NZ, and between us we keep things reasonably clean and friendly, when the NZ ones cant be there to keep things in check the other can be. Plus we have a couple of people who regularly send messages saying "better check this out etc"
    Last edited by wainuitech; 27-05-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    Will we be moving the Chat Forum archives in to the PF1 forum for historical reasons? Or will they just be deleted?

At least that damn music thread will go, I've been waiting for an excuse to delete it for years now
    The ads make almost nothing, and you're right that we have to weigh the risk against it.

Ha! I do remember you bringing that up when we went out for lunch that one time :P

Edit: Sorry, this is SK, I logged into the admin account to look at the console. Back to mine now!

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    You would be far better off having a few more volunteer moderators. Sure The ones we have now do a good job, but like everyone else they have lives as well.
    This is something I'm looking into as well.

No one's getting paid for either of those, and if we kept the chat section BOTH would need to be pre-approved as per Fairfax policy, not just Press F1. I am spending a few minutes a day approving stuff for the PF1 side and the existing volunteer mods will help as well.

Edit: So basically we've gone "How much can the existing staff handle, if everything needs to be pre-moderated?" Does that make more sense?
    So if you spend "a few minutes a day" on here approving posts, it could take posters 2 days to get an answer (day 1, you approved the OP, day 2 you approved the answer(s)). Gees, that's really going to bring people in isn't it!!

I have a suggestion, where don't you just open the board for an hour per day and everyone all has to post at the same time, therefore you can spend a precious few minutes on it and have it all done.

An even better suggestion. You bring in more volunteer mods, you make Jen and Chill Senior Mods to manage them, and life goes on as normal.

6 months WT? I think you'll be spot on.
    Intel Water Cooled i7 3770k, ,Z77X UB5, 30Gb mSATA SSD, 16Gb XPG DDR3 1600 Ram, 2x 1Tb HDD, GTX 670, Blu-Ray RW, Enermax NAXN 750W, CM HAF 912 Advanced Case.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

I think a lot of it's going to rely on how fast the threads can be approved. A lot of the time I've seen posts where they include a HJT log (And so it gets held up because it includes links) where if it doesn't get approved within the space of about 3-4 minutes, they'll post again.

My money says it's not just going to be "new threads" that need fast approval too, but the responses will most probably be moderated?
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Dont know if its possible, but along the lines of more moderators -- A suggestion.

You have senior mods as Iantech suggested that can do anything (in other words Chill's wife) Then have a few others that only have the power to approve / disapprove posts, any further "powers" must be dealt to by the senior mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    I think a lot of it's going to rely on how fast the threads can be approved. A lot of the time I've seen posts where they include a HJT log (And so it gets held up because it includes links) where if it doesn't get approved within the space of about 3-4 minutes, they'll post again.

My money says it's not just going to be "new threads" that need fast approval too, but the responses will most probably be moderated?
    Yup, that's how the policy works.

I'll be getting every post emailed to me, like Zara did. As long as I'm not working on something else at the time I'll take a look in. That's really the best we can do I think.