Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Default Re: PC World Chat will close this Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Dannz View Post
    Does this apply to an offshore entity (hosting)? which this most definately is
    ZZRV is not an offshore entity, nor are you [edit: and nor is any new NZ company registered for the purposes of running the forum]. As such, it needs to comply with NZ law, regardless of where the hosting is located.
    Last edited by Erayd; 28-05-2013 at 08:58 PM.
    If you are interested in reading fanfiction on a mobile device or ebook reader, please visit flagfic.com.

Cross-posted from my comment on G+:
    Quote Originally Posted by Erayd, in reply to PJ
    I'm not a lawyer (so take the below with a grain of salt, I'm using common sense but don't know that this is correct):

* Not protected against legal attack; if someone is prepared to pay the legal bills associated with attacking you it could get expensive. If you're pragmatic about moderation and responsive with taking down potentially libellous content, then is seems likely you'll be able to easily avoid most issues.

* Probably don't need public liability insurance (doesn't seem like there's much damage a forum could do that this would cover), however you need to ensure that the TOS makes it very clear that following advice is at members' own risk, i.e. no liability is accepted for bad advice.

* Time - you'd need to ask who's willing to help out. This one is probably covered if the new board is popular. If not, then the point is moot anyway.

* Ads to cover costs makes sense, no complaints from me here as long as they're discreet and well integrated.

* Corporate entity not required (although you could run this through your company for convenience if you wanted), but is nice from a management / liability perspective. Probably a good idea to do this.

* Tax - yes, tax accounts will need to be handled by someone. GST not required currently, and unlikely to be required unless / until ad revenue becomes very significant, and ends up over the GST threshold.

* Dedicated bank account - very good idea.

* Keeping current usernames / sigs - suggest we let people register using them, and ban with prejudice anyone maliciously squatting on names that aren't theirs.

One other comment that PJ didn't raise - I very strongly recommend that there is a very transparent policy about what happens to any extra revenue above what's needed to pay for the forums. This policy should be in place ASAP, and will prevent possible infighting later.

Related to the above, I'd like to see a VB licence at some point once revenue is sufficient to cover it.
    If you are interested in reading fanfiction on a mobile device or ebook reader, please visit flagfic.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa John View Post
    Iantech & The Board.

I have some thoughts that I am sure that Fairfax has covered.

Is the Board & the Forum protected/insured against legal attack should a members comment be apparent slander/libel?

Is something like Public Liability Insurance neccesary?

Someone will need to be resonsible for the running of the site, the servers & repairing & adjusting it. Are thse people willing & have the time?

I am sure that discreet adverts, to help pay running costs, are ok? No complaint from me.

Is a buisness entity required? Tax & GST?

Will the Forum have a dedicated Bank Account?

Will we be allowed to keep our old User Names & Signatures?

These are things that came to mind & are NOT criticisms in any way. We have a Lawyer in Nelson orBlenhiem don't we? PJ
    Dont plan on making money, its a service, if running a few adverts allows it to pay for its own hosting etc, thats good enough, as long as there are no more ads thats already on this site. If it starts making money, it will go straight back into it with latest forum purchase, faster hosting (if required) etc. Anything left over goes towards a PressF1 party at your place

The board will be protected by its moderators, might make Erayd a Mod, he can just delete any crap and members as he sees fit, will that do?

Im sure we will have to do a lot of work to the TOS etc to make sure we comply to NZ laws etc.
    Intel Water Cooled i7 3770k, ,Z77X UB5, 30Gb mSATA SSD, 16Gb XPG DDR3 1600 Ram, 2x 1Tb HDD, GTX 670, Blu-Ray RW, Enermax NAXN 750W, CM HAF 912 Advanced Case.

Will there be Technical & Chat?

Technical for problems & Chat so that we can abuse each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa John View Post
    Will there be Technical & Chat?

Technical for problems & Chat so that we can abuse each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PJ
    Yep already done

I'm not sure if Iantech want's people sent to the new site yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Dannz View Post
    Yep already done

I'm not sure if Iantech want's people sent to the new site yet...
    My lips are sealed - but several have found it

Well done guys.

Kitten's Lair, Fortified Bunker, 300m below ground

What is the possibility of having a fundraisers amongst ourselves and getting a vBulletin license?
    5-10$ from there and there, I am sure many will chip in.
    Who was the first that forged the deadly blade?
    Of rugged steel his savage soul was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    What is the possibility of having a fundraisers amongst ourselves and getting a vBulletin license?
    5-10$ from there and there, I am sure many will chip in.
    I'd be happy to contribute to that, although think that's a discussion we should be having after we've got the move sorted out. At this point, speed of migration is much more important than what it's running on, and migrating accounts over to new software is easy enough to do later.

Somewhere ......... near here....sometimes...near there too.......

are we allowed to register or are you in build mode.......and want us to naff off today ? p
    Im not trying to be difficult it just comes naturally.

some have registered already
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

JOIN THE FREE FORUMS!!!!!!