Page 1 of 31 12345678 ... LastLast

Default PC World Chat will close this Friday

Hi guys,

I'll be familiar to many of you - I was staff writer for PC World and now I've taken over from Zara as editor. Unfortunately, one of my first tasks is to cut the costs that were decided on by The Powers That Be before I came into my editorship. You can probably tell where this is going.

I'm really sorry to announce that PC World Chat will be closed after this Friday, 31 May, at around noon. No doubt all of you know that the publishing industry is going through a tough time, and it's safe to say we're affected by that in a big way. Over the last couple of years, we've changed our magazine's binding, dropped the DVD, cut staff, and much more in order to save money so we can stay afloat. PC World Chat doesn't contribute to our bottom line at all (in fact we make a loss on it, and have for many years). Truth be told, it's amazing the Chat section of the forums has stuck around so long given that cost-cutting measures that have been taking place throughout the company. Now, however, it has become increasingly dangerous for us as laws have changed, so it's time for Chat to go. If we had the resources (read: funds) to properly moderate the forum and provide protection for our volunteer moderators, 24/7, then we would be happy to let the forum continue trucking along as is even though it costs us a bit of money. Clearly, we don't.

The PressF1 section of the forums will still be live, but on Friday we'll be switching it over to a pre-moderated forum, as I've been informed by our lawyers that moderating forums ahead of time is Fairfax policy. This may actually happen earlier than Friday, depending on how long it takes us to wade through the admin console and figure things out!

The forums aren't the only things that we're cutting right now - our blogs section is going to disappear shortly, including Geoff Palmer's Tux Love blog. The last PC Projects column was published in the most recent magazine, too. I want to stress that we're not particularly thrilled about this whole deal either, but our hands are tied and once a decision like this is approved by management there's no going back. I want to thank you all, sincerely, for being such a fantastic community. You have banded together to do some incredible things - remember when you raised money to send Digby to the wedding? - and while you haven't always agreed with one another (or even us!), the PC World team does appreciate your support.

I'm trying to be as transparent as possible here, so please do ask any questions you have and I'll try my best to answer them. Again, I'm truly sorry and I hope you guys can understand.

- SK

Default Re: PC World Chat will close this Friday

A sad day. Sign of the times, I guess.

There's always Google +, I suppose.... No legal eagles looking over our shoulders there...

Will there be a competition to be the last post on Chat?

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Ha! I could probably even dig up a prize for that, if I could find a way of figuring out who the last post came from...

So will chat like posts be allowed on pressf1 ?
    WARNING
    CONTENT OF THIS POST MAY OFFEND
    VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

Not in dev/null yet ChazTheGeek's Avatar

Very sad.

Will Monday laughs be on PressF1 now???
    ASUS P8P67-M Pro | i5 2500k 4.2GHz | Hyper 212 EVO | GTX 970OC | 500B SSD | 2x 1TB WD Caviar Blue | | 16GB RAM | Corsair 400R | RM850

No, then we still have the same problems. But we want to offer BillyT a weekly joke thread there to keep up tradition, if he wants to continue!

Whoops, was responding to wmoore but answered your question as well Chaz!

DAMN. PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Aww

Someone set up an alternative...
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    Aww

Someone set up an alternative...
    I wanted to announce this with enough time for you guys to do just that!