Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Jerry Attrick

Default Can't run VLC Media Player

I have a new Acer laptop and I’m new to Windows 8, but soon discovered the lack of Media Player, of course. So, as suggested on the Internet, I downloaded VLC (which I’ve used successfully with previous Windows computers). I now have 3 new tiles – viz “VLC Media Player skinned”, “Reset VLC Media Player …” and “VLC Media Player”. The first two are mysterious, as far as I’m concerned: so if somebody can shed light on their function, I’d be grateful.

So I clicked on "VLC Media Player" and no program opens, but I quickly noticed the cooling fan running flat tack and increased heat emerging from my new Acer E1-531. Also the battery drain appears to increase (logical!). All of which suggests a program loop of some sort. I can't work out what I've done wrong.

So, before I start trying to fix my problem (from a position of ignorance), I decided to ask if others have had this happen and how they fixed it please?

Default Re: Can't run VLC Media Player

Hasn't happened to me, but Windows Media Player is still in Windows 8.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

Yeah Media player is still there, and there's the new Xbox titled Video player app as well. Also for about $10 you can add media centre to windows 8 for a bit more functionality.

As far as VLC goes, you can right click the tiles and unpin them if you're never going to click them to save start screen space. I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling VLC, also be sure to read everything before clicking or you may get some extra software you don't want (not sure if VLC do this but free software amost always seems to these days). I've installed it sucessfully under windows 8 a couple times now without the issues you mention. You could also start up task manager to see what's hogging all the resources and maybe close it from there.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

double post
    Last edited by dugimodo; 13-05-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: double post
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

I use media player classic on WIn7 as I prefer it to VLC these days, don't know if its available for WIn8 though

+1 for Media player classic -- it works fine in W8, has a LOT of options, far more than VLC.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

What happens if you launch VLC from "Desktop Mode", rather than from the main start screen?
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Jerry Attrick

Thanks for the comment pcuser42,
    You're right, of course: WMP is still there, but won't show DVD movies. Hence the perceived need for VLC - which I've used on my old XP machine in preference to WMP, by choice because of its' ease of use and versatility. But on this new machine it won't play ball. When I run it, it does nothing but use up large amounts of the processor's time (Task Manger says 56% of CPU load and 1,961.8Mb of memory - hence the behaviour of the fan!).

I'll have to bone up on carefully uninstalling VLC player (I don't want to make things worse!)

Just curious, what version did you download ? wasn't the experimental x64 was it?

Looking at mine on a W8 x64 system, the installer version which is vlc-2.0.6-win32.exe

When running ( open not doing anything) is using 5.8MB of Memory & 0 in CPU.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Jerry Attrick

Chilling-silence - I've run it from a short cut on the desktop, and from the tile in Start-up. Both behave the same.

And for PCuser42 - suggest read http://www.techlife.net/computing/ho...-in-windows-8/ I found it interesting.

What's the best way to uninstall the VLC program without stuffing things up?