Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade

Default Re: Upgrade

Btw I have put this off cause I just can't find the time to do it.
    Do you do upgrades Ian, if the parts are not purchased from you?
    The Internet moves in mysterious ways.

Just upgraded my server raid controller from HP Smart Array E201i to a P800...does that count?
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Count for what Sol?

Quote Originally Posted by DeSade View Post
    So based on the above Ian you recommend the Ivy Bridge?
    Which chip in particular?

You posted before I got this one up.

So wait for Halswell then, although buying a new-gen chip as soon as its released can be expensive.

Current one is a Nehalem
    Honestly, from what I have read so far, you're bearly going to notice any difference between them both. I need to do more research but from what I have read so far there simply isnt enough improvement with Haswell over ivy to make it a clear winner. Put it this way, if you had an IB, then you would be wasting your money, but as you have a first gen i7, then I would say go for it. I had a first gen i7 (2.8 GHz) , it was no slouch, but OMG, my 3770k is an incredible step up IMO.

If anything the price of the new Haswell CPU will be similar or cheaper than the current equivalent, I dont think they will be more. I really dont see any advantage to go Haswell over Ivy apart from being more energy efficient, Im thinking that as it is a lower wattage, it may also be easier to keep the heat under control if overclocked - but I might be wrong, dugi might know more about the relation between wattage and heat. (I would still look at water cooling for any top end CPU). The IGU is irralevant for your requirements.

Personally, I would wait for Haswell, I havent seen much info on what the motherboards will be like to support them yet, that will be the big thing.

What would I buy? I always like to future-proof myself for a good few years, so when I upgrade, I normally go top of the line. I wouldnt go any less than a 4770k, and matched with a high end motherboard and the fastest RAM without going stupid - some top end RAM just doesnt warrent the cost for the extra MHz IMO.

Sure, I can assemble it, you dont have to purchase the bits through my business (means I dont have to put the warranty on parts lol) and will stress test it. But I wont overclock it.
    Intel Water Cooled i7 3770k, ,Z77X UB5, 30Gb mSATA SSD, 16Gb XPG DDR3 1600 Ram, 2x 1Tb HDD, GTX 670, Blu-Ray RW, Enermax NAXN 750W, CM HAF 912 Advanced Case.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSade View Post
    Count for what Sol?
    Sorry, got the wrong end of that..lol
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

If it's just for gaming, forget upgrading your CPU / motherboard. Get a SSD and spend a premium on your GPU and a solid PSU to power it. Hell spend *all* your dosh on the GPU, $1200 worth would get you some pretty kick-ass framerates
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    If it's just for gaming, forget upgrading your CPU / motherboard. Get a SSD and spend a premium on your GPU and a solid PSU to power it. Hell spend *all* your dosh on the GPU, $1200 worth would get you some pretty kick-ass framerates
    Might help the read and write speed from the HDD, but no good if you cant proccess the information. I think you under estimate the importance of having a fast CPU (and having a decent MB to ulitise the full potential of the CPU). My current system (i7 3770k, 16Gb RAM, Z77X UD5, GTX670) totally walks over my older system (i7 860, 16Gb RAM, P55A UD6, GTX670). - same RAM and GPU.

DeSade already has one of the best kick-ass GPUs on the market that most gamers would envy (GTX 680) , while a SSD will help load the game faster (very fast infact), it wont help processing the information. A slow CPU, MB and RAM will bottleneck any game, more so a game that doesnt support multi core CPUs.

Yes, I would recommend a SSD or even a mSATA SSD Cache Drive, but its not by any means the total solution.

My Opinion Only.
    Intel Water Cooled i7 3770k, ,Z77X UB5, 30Gb mSATA SSD, 16Gb XPG DDR3 1600 Ram, 2x 1Tb HDD, GTX 670, Blu-Ray RW, Enermax NAXN 750W, CM HAF 912 Advanced Case.

I have one of these as my C:/
    Intel X25-M Mainstream Solid State Drive - 34nm Product Line - Solid state drive - 80GB - internal - 2.5" - SATA-300

But there is no room on it for games, its too small. I plan to upgrade it to something larger.

As Ian said my GPU is pretty good, I know there is a 780 out now but I think the CPU upgrade is more pressing.
    Besides this time around I want the 790

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

When playing a game, if you run Task Manager on a second monitor, what utilization does it show your game reaching?

You can pick up a 120GB SSD for cheap, hell even get two of these and RAID them for better performance: http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=HDDSAM2128
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Depends on the game and on the core.
    Core 1 for instance is constantly at or near 100%
    The others fluctuate a lot.