Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Laptops

Default Gaming Laptops

Hi, I have little knowledge about laptops so I thought I could ask here Im looking for a gaming laptop that can run
    games like battlefield 3 and 4, league of legends, counter strike go. I have around 1.25k to spend. Where should I start looking and what should I be looking for in a gaming laptop.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Default Re: Gaming Laptops

Might need double that for one thats fast enough

Yup. That IS a typo. 8ftmetalhaed's Avatar

pretty much. what Speedy said.
    http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/note...ttypeid=32&t=0

My laptop was 1.2k ish and can run games like left for dead 2, tf2, etc, but it struggles at times and generally pushes 90-100 degrees while doing so. I imagine playing battlefield 4 on a 1.2k laptop would end up netting you about the same, even with minimal graphics.

Why do you have to have a laptop? If it's for fiddling with while you're at uni or whatever, you should be able to find one that will do minimum settings on most games. If it's something you intend to regularly game on and want decent settings, I don't think 1.2k is enough.

You could get an ok desktop for about 1.2k though.

oh and edit, as for general what to look for sort of tips; decent amounts of ram (or spare ram slots to add more later), the best GPU and CPU you can afford, from a decent manufacturer.
    Ones like Acer, HP's consumer brands, etc should be avoided where possible.
    http://www.statisticbrain.com/laptop-malfunction-rates/
    Last edited by 8ftmetalhaed; 07-05-2013 at 07:49 PM.
    pc: i5 750 8GB ddr3 xfx 5770 Gbyte UD4P55 1TB WD Green, OCZ Vertex 4 64g SSD CoolMast Glad 600 case w/500 W PSU
    Laptop: Gateway i5 430M 4GB DDR3 ATI 5470 512mb 750gb HDD 15" 768p LED panel

Oxymoron, (examples ex wikipedia)
    Bitter sweet
    Deafening silence
    Dry drunk
    Forward retreat
    Irregular pattern
    Quiet riot
    Serious joke
    Sweet sorrow
    Add to that Laptop :high resource games.
    Gaming Computers come at one end of the spectrum and laptops tend to be at the other end. It is possible to get a reasonably priced desktop computer(not branded) to get a satisfactory rendition of some of these games, but it would be best to do some research first. Do take the minimum specs quoted on the packaging with a dose of skepticism.

Mixed Member

"Fraid I'm not much help but my son has just been through this. He wanted the Samsung Series 7 but it comes at a gold plated price. He settled on the MSI GE 70 which has a 17" screen and beautiful graphics. But not cheap at $2k.

http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139...ctdetails.html

And not to piss off Winston's son or anything but that laptop still has only fair graphics performance, roughly equivalent to a desktop GTS 450 which would be considered low end in a desktop gamer. I'm sure it can play most games but at reduced settings for the more demanding ones. It's a fairly strong CPU and a mediocre graphics card which is common at that price. For gaming an i5 would do the Job with a decent graphics card but they just don't make laptops like that much, generally all the parts get better with price but the Graphics card is the last thing that gets upgraded as price goes up so that the only "true" gaming laptops are in the 3-4K and up price range.

Someone could make a sub 2K laptop aimed at budget gamers but no one seems willing. there is the MSI GX60 http://www.playtech.co.nz/afa.asp?id...2&ref=pricespy http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...970m,3478.html which has a high end graphics card (for a laptop) paired with a fairly weak CPU - for graphics intensive games it'd be great but for CPU heavy titles it might struggle. Ideally you'd want the CPU to be a bit better but it's the best gamer in it's price range I'd think.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Mixed Member

LOL ok we'll keep that between us. He loves it and he's a good lad.

Yup. That IS a typo. 8ftmetalhaed's Avatar

it seemse fairly decent to me, as far as laptops go.
    pc: i5 750 8GB ddr3 xfx 5770 Gbyte UD4P55 1TB WD Green, OCZ Vertex 4 64g SSD CoolMast Glad 600 case w/500 W PSU
    Laptop: Gateway i5 430M 4GB DDR3 ATI 5470 512mb 750gb HDD 15" 768p LED panel

Agree

I bought a 1.2k ish laptop. I also have Left 4 dead 2 but the graphics wasn't pretty and playing things like Dead Island wasn't pretty. Lagged a bit. I can still imagine that zombie killing me while I was lagging
    Corsair Carbide Series® 500R,Intel i5 2500k,P8Z77V-Pro, 12GB DDR-1333MHZ ram, Asus DVD writer, Radeon Sapphire r9 270X 3GB , Windows 8 -64 Bit

Hi what about something like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/l...-591094105.htm

I dont expect to be playing on ultra high settings just around medium. Which of the games I listed above would this be able to play?