Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old dick-head

Default Front-load washers - which make/model?

I see that back in 2009 there was a poll and a lot of discussion about the pros & cons of front load washers versus top load.

Although the vote was definitely in favour of top-load, my wife has made a command decision to go for front loader as she wants more bench space in our new home.

So, for those who have (or had) a front-loader, what make/models do you recommend or NOT recommend ?

Thanks.

Default Re: Front-load washers - which make/model?

Quote Originally Posted by decibel View Post
    I see that back in 2009 there was a poll and a lot of discussion about the pros & cons of front load washers versus top load.

Although the vote was definitely in favour of top-load, my wife has made a command decision to go for front loader as she wants more bench space in our new home.

So, for those who have (or had) a front-loader, what make/models do you recommend or NOT recommend ?

Thanks.
    I can't recall what my previous two washer's makes/models were. But all I can say is good on your wife - I'd never ever remotely choose a top loader again!
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

The only thing that puts me off is the small load size and the time a load takes. Unless these things have changed
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

I prefer a top loader so that I do not have to bend down so far.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i3 540 3.07GHz, 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte H55-USB3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 450, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3300

We bought a Beka made in the same factory in Turkey as all the top European makes but at a fraction of the cost, it is 7.5Kg load size and a quick wash which is all we ever use takes 26 mins. The clothes come out in a better condition too with no agitator

I have yet to meet a front loader I would consider. Some of my friends have the 'best' and certainly most expensive front loaders money can buy and none of them even come close to my little ol' F & P top loader for quality of wash, capacity or ease of loading. As for time, all take far longer than mine (a serious curse if you have several loads to do) and although it is true that they use less water, I have found their power consumption to be much higher due to the longer wash cycle.

Some do have dryers incorporated but I found those to be even less efficient than the wash cycle and to get a load washed and dried could take up to 3 hours and still leave damp patches where the fabric has balled up.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Druid View Post
    I have yet to meet a front loader I would consider. Some of my friends have the 'best' and certainly most expensive front loaders money can buy and none of them even come close to my little ol' F & P top loader for quality of wash, capacity or ease of loading. As for time, all take far longer than mine (a serious curse if you have several loads to do) and although it is true that they use less water, I have found their power consumption to be much higher due to the longer wash cycle.

Some do have dryers incorporated but I found those to be even less efficient than the wash cycle and to get a load washed and dried could take up to 3 hours and still leave damp patches where the fabric has balled up.
    We have found the opposite we use less power due to being able to get more in it

According to Consumer a F&P at about $1000 or a Asko at about $3000.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Druid View Post

So what was your testing method for quality of wash. What was compared and was this done on different wash settings, to get an average.
    Who decided that your front loader was better. Was a survey of people taken.

Yes they take longer to do, but with 24 hours in day you plan for this. (many have a quick wash cycle for lightly soiled clothes)

You still have to bend to reach the bottom of the drum to get that odd sock that is there. Depending on your height it can be a struggle for some people.
    With front loader simply bend your needs and no need to bend your back.

WARNING
    CONTENT OF THIS POST MAY OFFEND
    VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

Make sure you get one with true cold wash.
    The ones with 30 deg water temp still use hot water, that can add to the power bill.
    We have a 10kg Panasonic.
    It is a heavy machine about 80kgs (doesn't jump around on spin cycle) and the drum will need to be bolted to the body when moving house.
    Other than that Mrs Rebel loves it.