Default Cannot purchase Windows 8 applications in New Zealand

I am running Windows 8 64 bit on a new computer. Windows 8 was created in part to run applications in the same manner as Apple has been doing. When purchasing an application on an iPad, you get billed from your Apple account that contains credit card details. Just type in your password when you purchase and away you go. I am using Office 2013 currently, and using a monthly fee with my Microsoft Account that has my credit card details, clearly stating I live in New Zealand. It is similar to an Apple account. So it stands to reason that when I purchase an application in the Windows store, it will look into my Microsoft account just like I do with Apple. But NO it does not work. After clicking purchase of an application, I have to enter my password to the Microsoft Account, and it asks me again on the credit card details and my address. The text fields by default, and they cannot be changed, are for an American address?! The pull down menus are for American States, zip codes and phone numbers. That means if you live outside the USA you cannot purchase applications. It will reject any New Zealand entry.

All this of course is totally stupid. Furthermore does this mean that anyone getting a Microsoft Surface in New Zealand, has to now move to the United States to purchase applications?

Am I missing something here?

Default Re: Cannot purchase Windows 8 applications in New Zealand

no I have a Microsoft Surface RT and a Surface Pro and quite happily buying apps from both the NZ Store and US Store

What regional settings do you have setup in control panel?

Go to Store app, go to Settings Charm on right under Payment & Billling info, you might need to Add Payment information there

The free apps work for me

Quote Originally Posted by nmercer View Post
    no I have a Microsoft Surface RT and a Surface Pro and quite happily buying apps from both the NZ Store and US Store
    On a side note, where did you get your Surface Pro from?
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

imported myself personally from the US, they'll be out here shortly in NZ

Thank you for your post. Indeed you are correct here. The regional setting of the computer is separate from the details in Microsoft Account. My computer regional settings was set in to United States. I went into control panel and changed this to New Zealand, restarted Windows and the field entries were now in the correct format, and prepopulated with my correct details. Purchasing applications went smoothly.

By the way, there is more Windows 8 weirdness. Every user on the computer has to set their own regional settings. Once I set my regional setting as administrator to New Zealand, I still had to change all the other users of the computer in their own control panel from the USA to NZ.

im on a Windows Phone so can't check, but somewhere in that control panel you can set the default settings for all users that logon, not just the current

I think there is as admin tab on the regional control panel