Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Car Battery Indicator

How accurate is the indicator light of a car battery? I'm referring to those batteries with the green/red indicator lights.

How do I know when to replace the battery, other than wait untill the car can't be started?

From my past experiences, there wasn't any 'warning' before it dies; and, it usually happens in the cold morning!

Default Re: Car Battery Indicator

take it to a garage, they should be able to test the battery and see how many CCA its cranking out. Far more reliable than those indicators.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

I don't bother with the indicator light, take it to a garage who will check how many cranking amps it's running. Make sure you SEE the reading, cheeky sods might say you need a new one even though you don't. I'm not too worried about my car though, if the amps drop too low to turn over I'll just find a nice hill/get my running shoes on and crash start it.
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<

They are better than nothing but not the most reliable of things. Its only checking one cell for a start ( 6 cells in a car battery). Usually they start showing signs before giving out though, mine was turning over very slowly on cold mornings when I replaced it.

Also running them dead flat by leaving the lights on or something is very damaging, even a brand new battery can be destroyed by doing that twice.

Get the battery load tested by a reputable garage or auto sparky (make sure battery charged when you go there) if you can find one. A lot of them just operate the load tester and say its ***** even if it was brand new. The led thing you talk of is a volt meter with its display in coloured leds completely useless to asses battery condition. They are OK for checking charging voltage though. A rooted battery can still show high volts. Best thing is throw a set of jumper leads in the car and when the battery sucks a kumara buy a new one.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

I actually thought we were referring to the coloured ring that indicates the specific gravity of one of the cells, not really a light at all though. If there's a built in led display on some batteries I haven't seen that. The ring thing can actually be quite accurate but only if the battery is well maintained and all the cells are working the same. Load testing has been mentioned enough that you get the Idea, if you don't want to do that get the jumper leads that prefect suggested. I usually carry some even though I can't remember if they've ever been used.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Yep hydrometer handy to check battery for dead or weak cell. With smart chargers now you probably wouldn't use them so much to check battery is charged completely.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Couple of months ago went out to the road to use a spare car we had. Thought it was odd when I unlocked it and only the drivers door unlocked, but it was early. Any way jumped in turned the key nothing, oh I thought dead battery. Popped the bonnet, nope battery not dead, battery not even there. Some cheeky sod had stolen it, unlucky for them it was just about useless anyway

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    Couple of months ago went out to the road to use a spare car we had. Thought it was odd when I unlocked it and only the drivers door unlocked, but it was early. Any way jumped in turned the key nothing, oh I thought dead battery. Popped the bonnet, nope battery not dead, battery not even there. Some cheeky sod had stolen it, unlucky for them it was just about useless anyway
    do you live in pick a part lane?
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Quote Originally Posted by plod View Post
    do you live in pick a part lane?
    didn't think so this is meant to be a decent part of the city (Beckenham)