Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: New Video Editing computer build options

Quote Originally Posted by BBCmicro View Post
    Personally I think the proposal is overkill. I would cut back on (unnecessary) hardware and spend the money on software. The latest version of Adobe Premiere Pro CS6(?) has stabilisation as an effect - you just drag it to the clip and it corrects handheld shaking - no need for After Effects. (I've got CS5.5 and it doesn't have it).

Not sure that I would go with Windows 8. Not being able to upload attachments to this forum doesn't inspire confidence...

(Water cooling when TDP is 77W?)
    Well I already have the software, I have had it since CS5 via the old Subscription model, then I have since updated to the New Creative Cloud, so I have all the Adobe programs already at my fingertips

So the money i have can go towards the Computer.

Quote Originally Posted by stevensaaron View Post
    Well I am going to see about having it overclocked, within reason, i'm not going to do it myself, i'll let the pros do it (by Computer Lounge)

it probably is cheaper, but i'm not paying one amount for the full package, as above I have the Creative Cloud, which from what i've worked out will be much more cost effective, than payin 5K for CS6 and then paying more for any Version Upgrade, as every future Version upgrade is automatic with Creative Cloud, I don't have to pay any extra.

Hehe well actually i did have a pirate copy when I first started using it back in CS3&4 :O I know i shouldn't admit that, but hey my intention was to try and work it out, with the intention to buy it in future, and when they introduced the Pay Monthly Subscription option in either CS5 or 5.5 i jumped at the oportunity and the rest is history

So yes, all in short to reply to your comments. thanks

I have been in touch with computer lounge, and they have given me an alternative which would hopefully suit me a bit better:

Intel Core i5 3570K Ivy Bridge 3.40GHz 6MB 95W LGA1155
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 Ivy Bridge Motherboard
    Mushkin Blackline FrostByte 996995 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600
    EK KIT H3O 240 HFX Water Cooling Kit
    LG GH24NS95 24X DVD Writer SATA OEM
    Samsung 840 Series 250GB SATA3 SSD (MZ-7TD250BW)
    Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 64MB SATA3
    2x EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX670 FTW 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E3.0
    Corsair HX850 V2 850W Modular PSU 80PLUS Gold
    Corsair HX Sleeved Cable Blue (CP-8920007)
    Microsoft Windows 8 64-Bit (Full Version) - OEM
    Corsair Vengeance C70 Mid-Tower Case (Gunmetal Black)
    Standard Hardware Installation + 2yr RTB Warranty + OS Config
    Overclocking

Total = $3759 Incl GST

I have asked about getting the i7 either the 3770 or 3770K (overclocked)
    and the possibility of going to 16Gb RAM

And as for someone asking the need for water-cooling, well my room is an outside room not attached to the house and can get rather warm and doesn't have the greatest ventilation, and my current computer certainly increased my room temperature lol so i would like to get the watercooling to reduce any possibility of heat being a problem, especially under heavy load
    I dont understand, you have dropped 8GB of RAM, and got a bigger storage drive?....You still have a 2nd GPU, that unless you are using a panel greater than 1080p, is really a waste!?...

Seriously, if you are into video editing, get a motherboard that will give you a RAM drive for scratch working......
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

PC World Contributor

Hmmm yeah, that 2nd GPU is ~$650 that could be much better spent elsewhere for your needs. Can I ask what requirements you gave to CL, and who responded?

Quote Originally Posted by SolMiester View Post
    I dont understand, you have dropped 8GB of RAM, and got a bigger storage drive?....You still have a 2nd GPU, that unless you are using a panel greater than 1080p, is really a waste!?...

Seriously, if you are into video editing, get a motherboard that will give you a RAM drive for scratch working......
    Yes i know this is what he returned as an option for my build, and I have asked about sticking with 16Gb RAM

And what do you mean by a 'RAM drive for scratch working'. I haven't heard of this so I don't know what that means, or how that works over an SSD

Quote Originally Posted by pablo d View Post
    Hmmm yeah, that 2nd GPU is ~$650 that could be much better spent elsewhere for your needs. Can I ask what requirements you gave to CL, and who responded?
    And basically my first post here was what I gave to the guys at CL.

PC World Contributor

Photoshop uses a "scratch disk" for temporary storage of image data when that data is too large to store in system memory. A RAM drive is the fastest (i.e. presenting a certain amount of RAM to the OS as a drive) gives the best scratch disk performance, followed somewhat closely by an SSD, followed a long way off by a 7200RPM hard drive.

It is a minor hassle to set up, and as above you need a hard drive that actually supports the functionality.

Personally I'd just whack 32GB of RAM in and set PS to use 90% of system memory. I'd be surprised if anything ever hit the scratch disk if you did that.

PC World Contributor

e.g. get two of these, and robert's your father's brother:

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...p?partid=18538

some (most?) would say 32GB is overkill, even for what you're planning, but hey. It's $199 per 16GB kit. That's less than a third of that second GPU.

edit: in fact, you should consider a 6-core hyperthreaded, quad-channel platform. you could probably afford it without the second GPU. let me see if I can put something together for you...
    Last edited by pablo d; 22-03-2013 at 12:50 PM.

PC World Contributor

Had to drop/lower a couple of things, but this would much better suit your needs IMO:

ASUS P9X79 X79 DDR3 SLi+Crossfire PCI-E3.0 LGA2011 $339.00
    Intel Core i7 3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.20GHz 12MB 130W LGA2011 (No Fan) $825.00
    2x Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C10 Vengeance LP 2x8GB DDR3-1600 CL9 $398.00
    LG GH24NS95 24X DVD Writer SATA OEM $49.00
    Samsung 840 Series 250GB SATA3 SSD (MZ-7TD250BW) $275.00
    Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 64MB 6Gb/s SATA3 $129.00
    Corsair HX Series HX850 V2 850W Modular Power Supply 80Plus Gold $279.00
    Microsoft Windows 8 64-Bit (Full Version) - OEM $159.00
    Corsair Vengeance C70 Mid-Tower Gaming Case Gunmetal Black $229.00
    Standard Hardware Installation + 2yr RTB Warranty + OS Configuration $199.00
    Servicing Overclocking $119.00
    Gigabyte GV-N66TWF2-2GD GeForce GTX660 Ti Overclocked 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E3.0 $459.00
    Corsair Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler $219.00

TOTAL inc GST $3,678.02 (straight off CL website)

Changes=
    6-core Hyperthreaded CPU instead of 4-core non-Hyperthreaded CPU
    4-channel memory instead of 2-channel (i.e. twice the maximum available memory bandwidth)
    32GB memory instead of 16GB
    A single GTX 660 Ti instead of 2x GTX 670 (my 660 Ti can run Battlefield 3 on Ultra settings, 1080p at over 60FPS, do you need more than that?)
    A corsair H100i water cooler instead of the EK KIT
    No cable sleeving

Photoshop uses a "scratch disk" for temporary storage of image data when that data is too large to store in system memory. A RAM drive is the fastest (i.e. presenting a certain amount of RAM to the OS as a drive) gives the best scratch disk performance, followed somewhat closely by an SSD, followed a long way off by a 7200RPM hard drive.

It is a minor hassle to set up, and as above you need a hard drive that actually supports the functionality.

Personally I'd just whack 32GB of RAM in and set PS to use 90% of system memory. I'd be surprised if anything ever hit the scratch disk if you did that.
    e.g. get two of these, and robert's your father's brother:

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...p?partid=18538

some (most?) would say 32GB is overkill, even for what you're planning, but hey. It's $199 per 16GB kit. That's less than a third of that second GPU.

edit: in fact, you should consider a 6-core hyperthreaded, quad-channel platform. you could probably afford it without the second GPU. let me see if I can put something together for you...

Thanks for the info Pablo, at this point I think a SSD would be alright for me, I use Premiere Pro for my video. (not photoshop )
    and the tech junkie in me likes the sound of 32Gb Ram, not just for the performance but also the enjoyment of just saying i've 32Gb Ram in my computer I'll be glad to see what you can put together Pablo,

and I have thought about going to 6 core, but i would like to stick with Intel, and i would have to wait too long in the year for the Ivy Bridge 6 cores to come out, so the current i7would do for me for now, and if i wanted to i could upgrade the CPU later to a 6 Core.

and as for the dual graphics cards, that's a hard choice, I've heard bit's and pieces from some saying yeah, and others saying nah...i've got a mate who also does a fair bit of graphics work and video work with Adobe, that says it would be a good idea going for the dual cards. I have 3 screens that i will be using on this computer.

so yeah, with the current build option with the dual cards it's within my budget with more leeway to add a few extras or more RAM etc, so i will see what the price will be with everything including the extra graphics card that way I can see if my budget will stretch that far cos I can always only get 1 Graphics card if it's too much

I just want to see what's available and useful for my build, plus semi future proofing, cos who knows what power may be need to run Adobe in the future lol

PC World Contributor

Will you be gaming on three monitors? Or just desktop/editing across 3? I'd be interested to hear the justification of dual graphics cards for graphics/video editing.

PC World Contributor

Ok so after a 5-minute google, it seems Premiere Pro cannot utilise more than one GPU for rendering, but After Effects can. Don't quote me on that tho :S