Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Video Editing computer build options

Hey guys I am looking to get a new computer, i do a bit of video editing (currently doing a couple of wedding videos), plus alot of photo editing etc. So i would like a machine that will be more than capable of that.

I have and use the full Adobe Software like Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects, etc

Plus i do play a few games like Halo etc.

$3500-$4000 would be my budget

I like the looks of the Gen-X Spec Ed: http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/syst...p?systypeid=10

However I would like the Black case not the Arctic White, would like anything in a Black/Blue Colour theme (but not too fussed)

CPU Intel Core i5 3570K Ivy Bridge 3.40Ghz 6MB 77W LGA1155
    CPU Cooling XSPC RayStorm 750 RS240 Water Cooling Kit
    Overclocking Standard Overclocking
    Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 DDR3 SLi+Crossfire PCI-E3.0 LGA1155
    Memory Mushkin Blackline FrostByte 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600 CL10 (997055)
    Hard Disk Samsung 840 Series 120GB SATA3 SSD (MZ-7TD120BW)
    2nd Hard Disk Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 64MB Cache SATA3
    Video Adapter EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX670 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E3.0 (02G-P4-2670-KR)
    2nd Video Adapter EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX670 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E3.0 (02G-P4-2670-KR)
    Sound Card On-Board
    Case Corsiar Vengeance C70 Mid-Tower Gaming Case Black
    Power Supply Corsair Professional Series AX750 750W Modular Power Supply 80Plus Gold
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 64-Bit (Full Version) - OEM | More
    Build Standard Hardware Installation + 2yr RTB Warranty + OS Configuration

Would this be a good system for me?? or would you recommend something different

Thanks
    Aaron

Default Re: New Video Editing computer build options

If any of your software supports Quicksync then it's a great choice because the board comes with lucid logics virtu software to enable the onboard intel graphics to be used for video encoding and it is both faster and better quality than cuda according to everything I read. Having said that I have never got mine to work properly and ended up removing virtu as it screwed up several of my games. I only have DVD fab to try though and it does use quicksync for decoding, just won't work if I set it for encoding. I did buy another bit of software (media expresso) but ended up getting a refund when their technical support couldn't tell me why it didn't work (for the record I was running XP at the time and it doesn't support quicksync video acceleration and the fact their technical support didn't notice that makes it worse).

I was quite excited to see the lightning fast quicksync in action, but ended up giving up on it entirely.

Other than that, looks like a great gaming machine. Don't know much about the software you run for video encoding but I'm guessing it may actually be worth getting an i7 for - no point so far in gaming but for video encoding it should be quicker.
    Only get a K series CPU if you want to overclock, waste of money otherwise.

A couple of questions to ponder;
    You don't sound like a hardcore gamer, is dual GTX670's really necessary ? a single GTX680 will game at 1080P ultra settings (or even a single 670 most of the time) and not have SLI issues (unless of course the video encoding can utilise dual graphics) I have a 580 myself and have no burning need to upgrade it from my gaming experience to date, played the latest tomb raider game at ultra just fine. You don't mention your monitor though, that could be a factor.
    bearing that in mind with the extra cash left if you went with a single card would you consider a larger ssd? I had a 120Gb and loved it, then got a 256Gb and loaded my games onto it and love it even more.

So from me, no bad things to say about your choices but I'd consider i7, larger SSD, single graphics card (can always add another later if needed).
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Mostly harmless member kingdragonfly's Avatar

You may want to consider using the motherboard's RAID 1 (2 drives) or RAID 5 (3 drives) to give some data redundancy.

Also you may want to consider RAID0, for a massive scratch work area.

As dugimodo mentions, the monitor is important, in particular for video work.

It's easy to spend half your budget on the monitor.

I've used the Dell Ultrasharp monitors, and like them very much. However a 30" model can set you back almost NZ $2,000.

I was going to suggest removing the 2nd GPU as well.
    Are you allowed to change some of the components? as I would double the RAM and create a RAM drive for your scratch work area, much faster than any RAID array..The ASUS boards doesnt support it, but ASRock motherboard have a feature builtin....they also support extra SATA ports.
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%2...Specifications

I would also try and get a IPS panel...Dell has 24"units for around $450
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Personally I think the proposal is overkill. I would cut back on (unnecessary) hardware and spend the money on software. The latest version of Adobe Premiere Pro CS6(?) has stabilisation as an effect - you just drag it to the clip and it corrects handheld shaking - no need for After Effects. (I've got CS5.5 and it doesn't have it).

Not sure that I would go with Windows 8. Not being able to upload attachments to this forum doesn't inspire confidence...

(Water cooling when TDP is 77W?)
    Ryzen 7 1700 @ stock, EVO 960 500GB M.2 NVMe, G-Skill 2 x 16GB @ 2.4GHz,
    GA-AB350N-Gaming Wifi (mITX), EVGA GTX970. Media player: i7-6700k

IT Contractor

Mostly just going to agree with what's been said. You don't need 2 GTX670s, I suspect you're not going to do any serious overclocking so water cooling is a bit over the top, but I'd certainly want at least a 2TB drive for the secondary and possibly a larger SSD for primary, or a second SSD. You'd be amazed how much difference it makes to video editing when it's being done form an SSD. And I'm not sold on Windows 8 yet, though it's personal preference. $4k, imo, is excessive for that sort of spec - I feel you're paying about $1200 extra for fluff that will be of little or no benefit to you (like a quad-SLI capable motherboard, watercooling, and a 2nd GPU).
    Windows 7 x64 // i5-3570K // 16GB DDR3-1600 // GTX660Ti 2GB // Samsung 830 120GB SSD // OCZ Agility4 120GB SSD
    Windows 7 x64 // Phenom II 955 // 8GB DDR3-1333 // GTX460 1GB // Corsair Force3 120GB SSD
    Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505

Mostly harmless member kingdragonfly's Avatar

Exclamation Re: New Video Editing computer build options

Speaking of software...

did you know it's cheaper to fly to Los Angeles buy a copy of Adobe Master collection, than to buy it locally in New Zealand.

Adobe CS6 Master Collection, 1-user, Windows is

Local = NZ $5,146 / US $4,183

Los Angeles = NZ $2,598 / US $2,269

Difference in price $2,548

PC World Contributor

Give your requirements to the CL sales team and see what they come back with. They are exceedingly capable.

Yup. That IS a typo. 8ftmetalhaed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingdragonfly View Post
    Speaking of software...

did you know it's cheaper to fly to Los Angeles buy a copy of Adobe Master collection, than to buy it locally in New Zealand.

with that in mind I wholeheartedly encourage you to pirate the software. then if you feel so bad about it, mail them a cheque for half of the US price (ie what the bloody thing is actually worth)
    pc: i5 750 8GB ddr3 xfx 5770 Gbyte UD4P55 1TB WD Green, OCZ Vertex 4 64g SSD CoolMast Glad 600 case w/500 W PSU
    Laptop: Gateway i5 430M 4GB DDR3 ATI 5470 512mb 750gb HDD 15" 768p LED panel

Quote Originally Posted by inphinity View Post
    Mostly just going to agree with what's been said. You don't need 2 GTX670s, I suspect you're not going to do any serious overclocking so water cooling is a bit over the top, but I'd certainly want at least a 2TB drive for the secondary and possibly a larger SSD for primary, or a second SSD. You'd be amazed how much difference it makes to video editing when it's being done form an SSD. And I'm not sold on Windows 8 yet, though it's personal preference. $4k, imo, is excessive for that sort of spec - I feel you're paying about $1200 extra for fluff that will be of little or no benefit to you (like a quad-SLI capable motherboard, watercooling, and a 2nd GPU).

Well I am going to see about having it overclocked, within reason, i'm not going to do it myself, i'll let the pros do it (by Computer Lounge)

Quote Originally Posted by kingdragonfly View Post
    Speaking of software...

it probably is cheaper, but i'm not paying one amount for the full package, as above I have the Creative Cloud, which from what i've worked out will be much more cost effective, than payin 5K for CS6 and then paying more for any Version Upgrade, as every future Version upgrade is automatic with Creative Cloud, I don't have to pay any extra.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ftmetalhaed View Post
    with that in mind I wholeheartedly encourage you to pirate the software. then if you feel so bad about it, mail them a cheque for half of the US price (ie what the bloody thing is actually worth)
    Hehe well actually i did have a pirate copy when I first started using it back in CS3&4 :O I know i shouldn't admit that, but hey my intention was to try and work it out, with the intention to buy it in future, and when they introduced the Pay Monthly Subscription option in either CS5 or 5.5 i jumped at the oportunity and the rest is history

So yes, all in short to reply to your comments. thanks

I have been in touch with computer lounge, and they have given me an alternative which would hopefully suit me a bit better:

Intel Core i5 3570K Ivy Bridge 3.40GHz 6MB 95W LGA1155
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 Ivy Bridge Motherboard
    Mushkin Blackline FrostByte 996995 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600
    EK KIT H3O 240 HFX Water Cooling Kit
    LG GH24NS95 24X DVD Writer SATA OEM
    Samsung 840 Series 250GB SATA3 SSD (MZ-7TD250BW)
    Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 64MB SATA3
    2x EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX670 FTW 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E3.0
    Corsair HX850 V2 850W Modular PSU 80PLUS Gold
    Corsair HX Sleeved Cable Blue (CP-8920007)
    Microsoft Windows 8 64-Bit (Full Version) - OEM
    Corsair Vengeance C70 Mid-Tower Case (Gunmetal Black)
    Standard Hardware Installation + 2yr RTB Warranty + OS Config
    Overclocking

Total = $3759 Incl GST

I have asked about getting the i7 either the 3770 or 3770K (overclocked)
    and the possibility of going to 16Gb RAM

And as for someone asking the need for water-cooling, well my room is an outside room not attached to the house and can get rather warm and doesn't have the greatest ventilation, and my current computer certainly increased my room temperature lol so i would like to get the watercooling to reduce any possibility of heat being a problem, especially under heavy load