Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oldies

Default Oldies

Me and My partner are both 75+ and find it most upsetting to get (your password is incorrect)or your user name
    is wrong!!!!
    Why is it we (think)we know our passwords and usernames but "Google" or who ever can not remember and
    yet if we go to pay for "say" an apartment block in New York "Google" knows every last detail about us and
    will even arrange an overdraft ???
    PUPPY LINUX 5.2

Default Re: Oldies

You can get programs to remember your passwords like keypass http://keepass.info/ never used it so don't know what it is like. With this program you only have to remember one password the one that allows you to enter keypass to retrieve your password.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

Or simply create a folder in which to save your login details .

I have a many logons with name and password. More than 20 in regular use and each with different name and password, but I have never found the computer systems to be at fault - the errors are always with my keystrokes. (I'm only 72)
    Remember that these systems are configured so as to discourage people trying to steal from you. For example they will reject capital letters if you didn't use them in your original and if your finger bumps a key next to the one you think you are hitting that will also be rejected. Feel pleased that the system rejects your name or password from time to time as that shows it is exercising strict control over your accounts.
    Either go where you're looking or look where you're going!

Try using Opea browser. It asks if you want to remember the password you just entered. But despite all the security warnings I keep a little orange book recording the things I cannot remember. I usually remember "user names" but not passwords so record " hugedongle" as a password but not my username. find a really good place to hide it, inside a CD box(of 200) for instance. When it really matters (your bank for instance) I have lots of stuff on a notice board find something and take the first, second, or third letter of thr first, scond ,third, line, from the beginnig or end and have some numbers incorporated as well like I was born in 1945 but my birth certificate shows
    1946 ie
    password 1=ueti6
    Password 2=n)m1

Sorry format changes in final post, aged response ment my edit timed out. Don't it p*** you off when the system is timed for 65 year olds. Try uneow6 as an example in the above post and terao6 for the scond option In other words +4 for the first option, and -3 for the second. you can cook up your own formula based on this (first. second word, sentance, line etc. Just put it in your book and don't indicate what it relates to.

Just use the same username and password for everything. Easier to remember. I don't care if someone want's to impersonate me. Some people seem to think they have all the world's secrets on their computers.
    One exception. On line banking should be guarded. (if you have anything in the bank)
    I notice windows 8 demands password every time you boot or reboot). That's one reason it's no longer on my computer.
    Jack GOF.

I have to admit that my post was really in jest.
    I was trying to make fun of my failure to "click" properly at times and was blaming the computer.
    We do not have too much trouble with passwords it is some of the other things
    that used to be run of the mill and now because of age and the changing technology take
    a bit of keeping up with.
    I have been using puters since before Mr Gates published his first windows and really at that time
    I could have probably given him a bit of help but aging has taken that all away.(and then some)
    Just a bit sorry everyone took me so seriously
    PUPPY LINUX 5.2

Quote Originally Posted by kjaada View Post
    Me and My partner are both 75+ and find it most upsetting to get (your password is incorrect)or your user name
    is wrong!!!!
    Why is it we (think)we know our passwords and usernames but "Google" or who ever can not remember and
    yet if we go to pay for "say" an apartment block in New York "Google" knows every last detail about us and
    will even arrange an overdraft ???
    THat is correct

I dont like the stupid restrictive password rules that a lot of systems impose, like must be at least 8 characters long, have at least 1 capital, 1 lower case, 1 number or special character, can't be the substantially the same as any of your last few passwords. One of my work passwords takes me 2 or 3 attempts to change because it doesn't seem to understand it's own rules as written.

Plus a longer password with out all that rubbish is still more secure. Trying to memorise something Like "P@s$w0rd14" is a lot harder than "mylongpassword" and no more secure. The only Caveat to that is it has to be possible to use all those silly characters if you want so that hackers have to try them all in a brute force attack, if nobody ever uses them hackers have less to try.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070