Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4G vodafone??

Angry 4G vodafone??

How come vodafone is keep bragging about "4G network"? It's like more than 3 years old..

Default Re: 4G vodafone??

They do have an actual 4G network in parts of Auckland that's just been turned on, it's totally pointless other than as a marketing exercise though. XT is far better on average. Vodafone still don't have decent 3G reception down here, it's pathetic.

There is absolutely no point in NZ having a 4G network until our mobile data prices decrease by several hundred percent. Now the masses will flock to Vodafone because 'Ooh, 4G, fast and shiny' when in reality they're not going to get any benefit from it for several years yet. For the average kiwi, XT is a far better choice. This kind of BS marketing annoys me, as you can tell.

If it was Telecom doing it, that's a little different, they actually have a good solid 3G network over a good chuck of the country, where Vodafone are still running GPRS stuff in a lot of locations, with patchy 3G. They should be spending money upgrading that, not on 4G.
    Last edited by wratterus; 08-03-2013 at 08:19 AM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Vodafone has only had 4G live for a couple of weeks. They have had HSPA for a couple of years now, and while other countries may call that 4G, it's really not.

Historically, Vodafone has had terrible coverage in Auckland. I was locked in with them for a number of years because the company I worked for used them. I was sick of having terrible coverage pretty much everywhere, so as soon as I left the company, I moved my number to XT.

The problem Vodafone has in Auckland is that it had 900mhz spectrum for GSM (2G) and was using 2100mhz for 3G. The higher the frequency, the worse it is for things like building penetration and range. Telecom on the other hand don't have a GSM (2G) network, and were able to use the 850mhz spectrum they have for 3G coverage (with 2100mhz for infill 3G as well). This means that Vodafone needed to have about 4x as many cell towers in Auckland to have a similar coverage footprint to Telecom. Unfortunately, with network load, their coverage was actually worse.

That was until a couple of months ago. As customers have moved away from 2G to 3G, the utilization of the 2G network at 900mhz has decreased. It's now at a point where Vodafone was able to re-allocation some of that 900mhz spectrum to 3G, instantly providing far better range and in building coverage around Auckland. This coupled with the fact that Vodafone had about 4x as many towers as Telecom means that Vodafone now has fantastic 3G coverage across most of Auckland.

Vodafone is also running a Dual Carrier 3G network around some of NZ. This is somewhat like running 2x 3G connections in parallel on your device, allowing you to obtain data speeds in many cases faster than your fixed line broadband at home.

Additionally, with Vodafone deploying 4G in Auckland, this will take some of the load off the 3G network as well, making it less congested and a better experience for the customers without a 4G device. Apple iPhone 5 users (which I assume there are quite a few in Auckland) can take advantage of the 4G network right now with an upgrade to their plan. There are a couple of other 4G devices available now, too.

I'm in Australia now, and I loved XT when I was still in Auckland, but when I come back I will have to seriously look at Vodafone again as they quite simply (as of the last month or two) have a network that is technically superior to their rivals. Shame they have the worst plans on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by ajobbins View Post

Additionally, with Vodafone deploying 4G in Auckland, this will take some of the load off the 3G network as well, making it less congested and a better experience for the customers without a 4G device. Apple iPhone 5 users (which I assume there are quite a few in Auckland) can take advantage of the 4G network right now with an upgrade to their plan. There are a couple of other 4G devices available now, too.I
    It won't take any load off the 3G network for a few years as the current LTE deployment is only 30% of Auckland and for the average handset user there is no advantage in 4G until VoLTE is used as well. Where it will be handy is for data sticks and tethering your fone to the likes of a tablet. Also 4G is only available to post pay account no prepay plebs allowed..
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Yeah I'd rather they got their act together with coverage first and foremost, around Auckland I'm highly unimpressed with Vodafone / 2 Degrees. XTs coverage is great, as are the speeds, but the real down-side is the data caps. I don't just want 500MB, give me something semi-decent so I can watch a few YouTube videos on 3G without worrying about blowing a 500MB data cap... And stream a bit of music too! Or have Instant Upload on all my photos so they're backed up as I take them! Current 3G speeds on XT are *fine* for all of the above...
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    Yeah I'd rather they got their act together with coverage first and foremost, around Auckland I'm highly unimpressed with Vodafone / 2 Degrees. XTs coverage is great, as are the speeds, but the real down-side is the data caps. I don't just want 500MB, give me something semi-decent so I can watch a few YouTube videos on 3G without worrying about blowing a 500MB data cap... And stream a bit of music too! Or have Instant Upload on all my photos so they're backed up as I take them! Current 3G speeds on XT are *fine* for all of the above...
    As per my post above - as of the last month or two, Vodafone coverage in Auckland is FAR superior to XT/2D.

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    It won't take any load off the 3G network for a few years as the current LTE deployment is only 30% of Auckland and for the average handset user there is no advantage in 4G until VoLTE is used as well. Where it will be handy is for data sticks and tethering your fone to the likes of a tablet. Also 4G is only available to post pay account no prepay plebs allowed..
    Smartphone users make up such a large proportion of the mobile user base these days, saying that the 'average' user mainly uses voice is not accurate. Voice minutes have been on a steady decline for many years now. This is why we currently see all three carrier basically throwing minutes at their customers (even prepaid). VoLTE (when they get it right and agree on a standard) will be great, but it wont be a drawcard to 4G for customers, rather carriers will push it.

As of today, 4G usage will be minimal due to lack of handsets, coverage and the additional plan cost. Give that 9-12 months (especially as we start to see 4G competition from Telecom) and the landscape will change dramatically.

Nup, coverage around Auckland is still patchy as hell on Vodafone / 2 Degrees... REAL patchy!

Apparently in NZ, Smartphone users now make up approx 25%.

Not sure of the point of voice over LTE, customers are more interested in lower cost in my experience, rather than higher quality voice. I work with VoIP and traditional PBXs. We're asked daily about cost-savings, as opposed to "HD Voice" which has basically come up only in our own internal company talks, never from a customer.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:

Nup, coverage around Auckland is still patchy as hell on Vodafone / 2 Degrees... REAL patchy!
    Do you use Vodafone daily in Auckland? I've heard numerous reports of VF users in Auckland being amazed by the coverage they now have.

Apparently in NZ, Smartphone users now make up approx 25%.
    "Smartphones users are in the majority in New Zealand, with more than half of all kiwis using their mobile phone to access the internet, according to government figures. (In the 12 months up to June 2012)… the number of mobile broadband subscribers rose 34 percent, so there are now over 2.5 million mobile broadband users in New Zealand."
    http://blog.jericho.co.nz/smartphone...and-australia/

Not sure of the point of voice over LTE, customers are more interested in lower cost in my experience, rather than higher quality voice. I work with VoIP and traditional PBXs. We're asked daily about cost-savings, as opposed to "HD Voice" which has basically come up only in our own internal company talks, never from a customer.
    Yep. The point of VoLTE is to move away from legacy circuit switched voice to a full IP stack. VoIP protocols like SIP work very well over LTE so we may end up with the telco's providing no more than a data pipe, with voice or messaging services potentially sold by other providers 'over the top'. Much in the same was as I have Naked DSL at home and VoIP lines with a totally different provider.

Quote Originally Posted by ajobbins View Post
    Do you use Vodafone daily in Auckland? I've heard numerous reports of VF users in Auckland being amazed by the coverage they now have.
    Yeah I'm stuck on 2 Degrees with work. My brother is with Vodafone for his Work, and he's always moving around different parts of auckland on a daily basis as part of his job. He can't stand them either.

Tried driving up to Orewa? On Vodafone / 2 Degrees there's about a huge "dead zone" where you have *nothing* at all on the way up there.

He's got XT on his personal cellphone, everywhere he goes he's got coverage, and everywhere I get him to test, the speedtest results are better on XT. Only thing that 2 Degrees / Vodafone have going for them is they seem to have more "solid" connections in terms of less latency / jitter, which is cool if you're trying to pump a SIP connection over it, but you'd still be silly to do that long-term...

Yep. The point of VoLTE is to move away from legacy circuit switched voice to a full IP stack. VoIP protocols like SIP work very well over LTE so we may end up with the telco's providing no more than a data pipe, with voice or messaging services potentially sold by other providers 'over the top'. Much in the same was as I have Naked DSL at home and VoIP lines with a totally different provider.
    Yes I know what you're talking about, I live and breath VoIP all day every day, but there's bugger all point in that if less people are using Cellphones for calling, right?