Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Orcon as ISP

Default Re: Orcon as ISP

I gave up on Orcon as an ISP after 13 years last month as I couldn't get more that 30Gig unless I took their fone service. As I have a perfectly good Telecom and 2Talk landlines I declined and went to Telecom. Man these Thompson / Technicolor routers are junk.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Being with Orcon was 12 months of hell. Always had issues with speed, latency. the phone. The worst thing was that if I sent them an email they would acknowledge it, eventually, then send an email saying that as the problem had been resolved the matter was now closed! On the few occasions when I managed to speak to a human he would be a novice. I am now with HD-connect and on the few occasions that I have sent them a message I always get a reply on the same day. I have had no problems with them using the same hardware and wiring.

Have been with Orcon for about 7 years and in the past have found them to be excellent in all areas. Just the last few months have had motre problems connecting to the help desk (not needed often, just a few odd occasions) and seldom get a NZ voice at the other end. Have several times had real problems communicating.
    But otherwise have had no problems with their service and Genius modem.

Reluctantly transferred from Telecom to Orcon last August as TC had no UFB plans. Like most ISPs, Orcon don't manage jobs like USB connections well (no one person responsible) and you certainly don't want to be talking to the outsourced help desk. But there are ways of getting good technical help from NZ based people via geekzone or Facebook.

That aside, I am on the 30/10 plan with voip via their genius modem and everything is going very well. Had teething problems but a genius firmware upgrade fixed the instability issues completely and international speeds were fixed last December.

To sum up, I am very pleased with my UFB experience ATM and am happier knowing I can get excellent help, if needed, via the 'backdoor'.

Just a point - no good taking note of people's experiences with ADSL speeds as UFB is totally different technology. I get 27.75Mbps down and 9 up to NZ servers.

Best wishes with your change.

With Orcon I never had much problem with their internet service it was basically rock solid way better than I get now with this crappy Telecom supplied ADSL router. My old one I had on Orcon was not compatible with the Telecom ADSL / VDSL ports hence the new one. Will go this week and get a TP-Link from PBtech and see how that goes..
    Regards,

Paul W

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

^^ Actually it is, just not compatible with their Genius VoIP service coz they only allow access from their preprovisioned Genius routers. But yeah the crappy internet will be the Thomson router.

Don't forget to grab yourself a Draytek DV120 to go with the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND, as the WR1043ND is WiFi-only and uses the DSL from the Draytek to "get online". Well worth the investment!
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

I'm going to get the TP-Link TD-W8960N 300M which seems to have a good write up. The Draytek DV120 appears to be out of stock at PB Tech,..
    Regards,

Paul W

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Be interested to hear how you go?

It's OK, the national supplier of Drayteks which is in Albany just off Constellation Drive has a TON in stock. If you were to order one through pbtech, I'm sure they could get it in next-day for you.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    I'm going to get the TP-Link TD-W8960N 300M which seems to have a good write up. The Draytek DV120 appears to be out of stock at PB Tech,..
    We sell truck loads of these, they are excellent for the price. Last week I had a lot of trouble with a few units, getting them to authenticate with Telecom though. No issues with other ISPs, and Telecom's helpdesk were adamant it was the modem at fault, which it blatantly wasn't.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    We sell truck loads of these, they are excellent for the price. Last week I had a lot of trouble with a few units, getting them to authenticate with Telecom though. No issues with other ISPs, and Telecom's helpdesk were adamant it was the modem at fault, which it blatantly wasn't.
    Did you sort out the problem??
    Regards,

Paul W