Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Orcon as ISP

Default Re: Orcon as ISP

Sort of and sort of not...They are both authenticating now, but I'm not confident that if they were rebooted, they would authenticate first time. I love those modems, and I genuinely think Telecom is doing something stupid with their auth server that's causing problems, but actually getting to talk to someone that knows is impossible.

I would still buy the modem though. Unlikely you will have an issue. Otherwise get an Asus DSL-N12U.
    Last edited by wratterus; 05-03-2013 at 03:02 PM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Mostly harmless member kingdragonfly's Avatar

You can check out my thread here, if you wish. I lost my Internet connection for 22 days.

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthr...st-Orcon-Fibre

Once I filed a written formal complaint, I did get first-class treatment.

I told the service manager that out-sourcing their help desk to the Philippines certainly made the experience worse.

I have been assigned a "Customer Care Manager" to "manage" my departure.
    They have come up with a stack of credits so far
    The Internet moves in mysterious ways.

Yup. That IS a typo. 8ftmetalhaed's Avatar

Aside from when I first joined them I've not had too many issues with them. They switched me to genius a while back and I joined a 2 year contract since it had a free house move included, which covers me in case I have to shift (which is possible) in the next while. In the past I was with vodafarts, and gave them the boot after they wanted to charge me 200 dollars to shift my connection. Not being able o go on a contract at a time due to a non fixed term lease, Orcon was the only ISP I could find that would give me a non contract plan, though it was $120 for 30gb with phone. Bit pricey but ohwell.

Now I get 200gb for 99 bucks with fair speeds despite their genius router (GOD I MISS MY NETCOMM... it's still sitting in the cupboard ) and haven't had to call their support more than once or twice.
    I do know their support suck but other than that I haven't really had issues.

As soon as the contracts up or a really good deal shows up from another ISP though, I might consider moving. Because I can guarantee as soon as I have to contact their support things will go down the shitter.
    pc: i5 750 8GB ddr3 xfx 5770 Gbyte UD4P55 1TB WD Green, OCZ Vertex 4 64g SSD CoolMast Glad 600 case w/500 W PSU
    Laptop: Gateway i5 430M 4GB DDR3 ATI 5470 512mb 750gb HDD 15" 768p LED panel

Quote Originally Posted by DeSade View Post
    I have been assigned a "Customer Care Manager" to "manage" my departure.
    They have come up with a stack of credits so far
    That's interesting. I wrote a critique of my UFB connect saying, amongst other things, that there has to be someone managing these events as haphazard toing and froing to a remote helpdesk just didn't work. It got passed up the line and even to the Chorus CEO. Maybe they are listening???

Maybe you could let us know how the Customer Care thingy worked.

Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    That's interesting. I wrote a critique of my UFB connect saying, amongst other things, that there has to be someone managing these events as haphazard toing and froing to a remote helpdesk just didn't work. It got passed up the line and even to the Chorus CEO. Maybe they are listening???

Maybe you could let us know how the Customer Care thingy worked.
    I have had issues for the last year and I am a very squeaky wheel.
    So far he is handling the move so Orcon is not cut off till I am ready for the new one to come online (no downtime) and the bills are taken care of with the credits.
    Keeping me informed via email (my choice) rather than phone and in a timely manner.

Well, that sounds exactly how these things should be handled. But maybe it is only used for particularly squeaky wheels!! Funny that you get good service when leaving rather than joining, though!

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Unfortunately I was the same. It was only AFTER I had left and taken the matter to the TDR that they came to the party. The chap who handles their TDR complaints was actually quite nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    Well, that sounds exactly how these things should be handled. But maybe it is only used for particularly squeaky wheels!! Funny that you get good service when leaving rather than joining, though!
    As a last gasp I gave them a back-handed choice, deal with this internally and make my departure as painless as possible or I would take up my complaint with the TDR.
    I have had **** speeds since late November, early December and I have had enough of the run around.

It helped that I still have phone numbers and email addresses from the last issue I had, made contact easier.