Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Default Re: Discuss: The law, moaners, being PC, and where PF1 is headed

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    One thread suddenly determines how I've behaved for 12 years? I think not. I fail to see why you're trying to make a mountain out of it. He was being an ass, I called him out. It happens, get over it.
    I suggest you start being the bigger person, stop 'biting' and lead by example.

This thread made for some disappointing reading - to the point where I have lost respect for the forum as a place to assist with PC Problems. A moderator should be unbiased, helpful and free from personal opinions - things I am afraid you are not particularly good at.

------------------------

Yes we are ALL sick of the Maori bashing threads, not a day goes by when I don't see or hear something utterly ridiculous or stupid that a minority have done... I do like the idea of publicly shaming people who do such things. The idea being they read it and buck their ideas up - but we all know the people most likely to read such threads/posts are also least likely to be the ones involved in them - Thus making the original purpose moot.

Oh and by the way, most other forums have a separate 'sub-forum' that is not searchable or accessible by non members usually named "off topic" for such threads.
    Last edited by Disco_Dan; 23-02-2013 at 01:38 AM.

mikebartnz

1) Actually, I wrote it, I have the original Google Doc. Don't give a toss about the "correspondence", it's a moot point because I suggested to her we start a thread before this all happened.

2) Not true. Look at the likes of Paul Holmes thread about Waitangi Day. People are being pulled up for what they're writing.

3) The "numbers" began to decline around the same time that you started posting anti-Maori threads regularly. Zara wasn't actually regularly active until mid-2012 (Much later). I recall we all got off to a rocky start, but I would have thought you'd be man enough to move on and put that behind you. Clearly I was wrong.

4) Actually we *do* have a problem, centered around your threads. I don't give a rats ass about "being PC", I do however care about keeping these forums within the law. Everybody bitched back in the day that we couldn't talk about how to pirate Sky TV, but they got over it quickly. You're either going to do likewise or leave, because we're not acting out of our own spite here, so stop being a jackass towards the admins.

5) I've been here for over 12 years now, don't talk to me about long-term members, I don't care.

6) Yeah, you do that, but vent towards parliament and the lawmakers, not me, because I honestly don't care to hear anything further from you if that's going to be your attitude.

Now, you can be constructive (For a change) with your comments, and step in to line (WITH THE LAW), or you can leave, because Fairfax is not about to be put at risk because of you. Take your pick.
    I'm sorry Chill I have been a member since about 1998/9 but as far as I am concerned I have had enough. Zara has been the one that has killed it for me even though you would like to blame BM. Bye bye.
    Computers are like Air Conditioners, they stop working when you open Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Dan View Post
    Oh and by the way, most other forums have a separate 'sub-forum' that is not searchable or accessible by non members usually named "off topic" for such threads.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by mikebartnz View Post
    I'm sorry Chill I have been a member since about 1998/9 but as far as I am concerned I have had enough. Zara has been the one that has killed it for me even though you would like to blame BM. Bye bye.
    Well it’s a shame to see you go too Mike, maybe you could reconsider but I feel your frustration also.

It’s surprising how many others have also traced the problems back to Zara’s arrival, but I’m surprised how poorly Chill handles a bit of pressure.

Anyway, returning to the matter at hand, could any of the Moderators refer me to the “Law” that you are blaming your new moderation policies on?

I suspect there isn’t one and it is pure bluff to enhance your ability to stifle free speech and pursue your private agenda.

I stand to be corrected, but I ask again, could a Moderator, any Moderator, direct me to this draconian law that you keep referring to?
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

Somewhere ......... near here....sometimes...near there too.......

Quote Originally Posted by hueybot3000 View Post
    And you prove even the innocent are capable of stirring. It's just the nature of forums, we can only choose how to react.
    Apologies........... yes i said who, and then gave up and went to bed, been a long day....... i cant recall why i said it now, but i don think i meant it as naming members, even tho who is the only word posted, im sorry and didnt in essence want you to state peoples names......... but name calling i feel is .....well too me any way..... in swearing at them tearing them down and abusing them, which happens quite a lot. where naming members outright is different...well i think so.
    just to clarify you think mods have favourites? or teachers pet you mean and then theres the constant naughty boys?

Im not super happy with things that are happening here either, but it is effect fairfax's forum and if they decide we are just too much work well, we just may have no pf1 anymore.
    And really ..................... it shows how badly things are when one thread incites so much infighting......... why oh why does this thread wreck so much havoc on the forum....... are we the only forum to have asked of what we say, ask, talk about, moan and groan about? are we the only ones to be restricted? i think not.

I do appo;ogies to all pf1 peoples, as i never meant to get into this fight i am just tired of the crap that comes with an post now, i really thought we were better than that, but it seems i am wrong. sad.
    im not leaving pf1, but it just proves that sadly there is something really bad happening to our forum, can we fix this or lose what we have had in the past?

just my opinion and im not trying to incite a war, just asking, talking andsuch like the original post has requested.
    Last edited by beetle; 23-02-2013 at 07:06 AM.
    Im not trying to be difficult it just comes naturally.

In a nutshell, there is some laws coming out (the Communications (New Media) bill) that can potentially leave Fairfax a lot more liable for some of the stuff that is said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Anyway, returning to the matter at hand, could any of the Moderators refer me to the “Law” that you are blaming your new moderation policies on?

I suspect there isn’t one and it is pure bluff to enhance your ability to stifle free speech and pursue your private agenda.

I stand to be corrected, but I ask again, could a Moderator, any Moderator, direct me to this draconian law that you keep referring to?
    The pending new bill isn't hard to find.

Law Commission - Review of Regulatory Gaps and the New Media. You will find the draft bill here under Ministerial Briefings. Also look at the submissions. I presume these groups didn't write a submission about a non-existent pending law change. The TradeMe submission is interesting because of their community forum.

Tech Liberty NZ gives their run-down on this proposed bill.

Just in case you skimmed over this part, Chill stated "laws coming out".

So, if we can get past the "you are making this up for your own agenda" stance, could we please come up with some practical solutions. I would have thought our community would like to be involved in this important decision making about our forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    The pending new bill isn't hard to find.
    So you are acting on a “Pending new Bill” not a Statute.

Well I don’t believe any of you are so stupid as to not know the difference between a “Bill” and a “Statute”. You will be waiting a very long time before the "Bill" ever becomes Law and you can guarantee it won’t be in its present form and won’t be retrospective if it ever gets passed.

It therefore poses no threat what-so-ever to Fairfax

Therefore, I can only conclude that the fabricated argument you Moderators have put forward is to try and support an agenda of some sort.

Let me quote Chill: Now, you can be constructive (For a change) with your comments, and step in to line (WITH THE LAW), or you can leave, because Fairfax is not about to be put at risk because of you. Take your pick.

Well Chill it hurts me to have to point out that you are talking absolute rubbish.

As your fellow Moderator points out it is a “Pending New Bill” which has absolutely no Legal teeth. Therefore Fairfax are not put at risk in any way and especially as I only made links to what they themselves had reported.

It strikes me as ironical where Fairfax goes to a lot of trouble researching and publishing news events and this arm of Fairfax tries to suppress their own articles.

So to conclude I should point out that it is you that put Fairfax at the most risk by trying to suppress free speech by inventing bogus laws.

Think about it.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

BM they stated this is a discussion, on a pending bill................we are discussing....... solutions, and impact on pf1 chat forum............ and how we can implement them when this bill comes out...... they are being preemptive.... i think that is the word...... better to be safe than sorry ?

I'm not going to quote all of what BM posted, but it does make sense.

Call me suspicious,the moderators are not stupid people, so when creating a thread about a new law, then ASK for comments, Moans as per its title, THEN start shooting people down when the replies come back, knowing full well what sort of response it would get. Saying its to cover Fairfaxes ass is only part of it-- Sorry but theres more to it than that.
    In fact by the very responses by some in charge they could actually be going against the law to start with.

And their ultimate goal would be?