Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 221
  1. #61
    Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    17,146

    Default Re: Discuss: The law, moaners, being PC, and where PF1 is headed

    I'm telling you to pull your head in, yet still you refuse. Final warning before I give you some forced time off. The choice is 100% yours.

  2. #62
    Senior member Iantech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    1,622

    Default Re: Discuss: The law, moaners, being PC, and where PF1 is headed

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    "Caring" meter is low... If you have a better more accurate way to describe him, I'm all ears. There are none. He just has a bad habit of being a sour puss and jumping on any moaning bandwagon. The point stands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    "Caring" meter is low... If you have a better more accurate way to describe him, I'm all ears. There are none. He just has a bad habit of being a sour puss and jumping on any moaning bandwagon. The point stands.
    Get off your power trip Chill, its not your place or mine to abuse anyone here.

    I co-foundered a forum on HTML about 10 years ago which now has over 139,000 members and I have not seen a mod assult other members as you have nor would I allow it. As I said before, if I was an admin here, you'd be stood down. I find your present attitude appalling.

    You talk about this forum declining and blame it on a few members here. If you know anything about business, you'll know success begins with good management. Can I suggest this board displays some responsible management and has an attitude adjustment if it doesnt want to decline further.
    Intel Water Cooled i7 3770k, ,Z77X UB5, 30Gb mSATA SSD, 16Gb XPG DDR3 1600 Ram, 2x 1Tb HDD, GTX 670, Blu-Ray RW, Enermax NAXN 750W, CM HAF 912 Advanced Case.

  3. #63
    IT Consultant johcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hibiscus Coast, Auckland
    Posts
    8,083

    Default Re: Discuss: The law, moaners, being PC, and where PF1 is headed

    For those who can't spell it, LMGTFY: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Communications+(New+Media)+bill

    For those who want to have a read of the draft bill: http://www.lawcom.govt.nz/sites/defa...media_bill.pdf

    Go ahead, make some submissions, become part of the law-making process!!

    For a view or two on the bill: http://techliberty.org.nz/whats-wron...n-it-be-fixed/

    Some interesting points there...

    And for those who believe everything they read, an article from Stuff, dated 24/9/2012: http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/di...rbullying-Bill

    Please take that last link with several grains of salt - we know how accurate Stuff are with their reporting!!! Not!

    It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

  4. #64
    Gone
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,154

    Default Re: Discuss: The law, moaners, being PC, and where PF1 is headed

    The anti Maori threads are getting old. I'm surprised that it has lasted as long as it has without some sort of complaint from people that may taken offence to what has been said on here. Don't think its the mods that are the problem but a small number of members that think this forum is their personal space to vent their views.
    Last edited by QW.; 22-02-2013 at 06:57 PM.

  5. #65
    Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    17,146

    Default Re: Discuss: The law, moaners, being PC, and where PF1 is headed

    Quote Originally Posted by Iantech View Post
    Get off your power trip Chill, its not your place or mine to abuse anyone here.

    I co-foundered a forum on HTML about 10 years ago which now has over 139,000 members and I have not seen a mod assult other members as you have nor would I allow it. As I said before, if I was an admin here, you'd be stood down. I find your present attitude appalling.

    You talk about this forum declining and blame it on a few members here. If you know anything about business, you'll know success begins with good management. Can I suggest this board displays some responsible management and has an attitude adjustment if it doesnt want to decline further.
    Hellooo.... What do you think we're trying to do? Manage it. The law in this country has changed and we have no choice, so we're telling the members. Yet you still feel the need to criticize?! We're doing exactly what you're saying but you're still moaning? Show me the logic here...
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

    Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

  6. #66
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    28,120

    Default Re: Discuss: The law, moaners, being PC, and where PF1 is headed

    Since this is "meant to be" an open discussion. Did anyone actually read the "new laws'.
    They can still be very wide open. While I dont read all these types of Posts, one section of the linked laws states:


    They use the word broadcasts - which would also refer to public forums:


    Broadcasts which the BSA has concluded did not reach the high threshold required to breach the guideline, include:
    •a radio host labelling people with mental illness “loco and loopy” (2006-030)
    •the portrayal of scantily clad dancers in music videos (2005-062)
    •a guest on a radio show suggesting, tongue in cheek, that women who suffer domestic violence deserve to be hit (2004-159)
    •a performer on a comedy programme describing disabled athletes as “munted” (2004-198)
    •a sports presenter’s reference to “filthy Dutchmen” (2006-075)
    •the use of “gay” as a derogatory term to mean “lame” or “stupid” (2006-069)
    •a disrespectful reference to Christian practices (2005-001).

    The guidelines state that the prohibition against denigration is not intended to prevent the broadcast of material which is factual, a genuine expression of opinion, or which forms part of a dramatic, satirical or humorous work.
    From What I have read of these and other posts, I honestly dont recall anyone actually openly calling ANY race anything apart from what they claim themselves to to be Eg: Maori, Asian, etc. Where it may get a bit heated with name calling is where a persons / group sexual preferences are.

    If a Media Source reports some event, then people have the right to comment on it, and it can be done without name calling. Going on about it can be tiresome, but if people want to point fingers then point at the media sources.

    I've just read that entire link - its a bloody joke, it contradicts its self left right and center, so if they cant get it right how the **** is anyone else meant to

    Its a bit like this actual thread-- its now turned into an all out fight, moderators threatening people, posting replies that they normally wouldn't even think of doing, name calling. Any other thread like this would either be closed or totally removed.

    ( no pun intended) Chill out for gods sake.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 22-02-2013 at 07:17 PM.

  7. #67
    Off Limits...... beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Somewhere ......... near here....sometimes...near there too.......
    Posts
    4,069

    Default Re: Discuss: The law, moaners, being PC, and where PF1 is headed

    Stop shooting the messenger.............. Chill is passing on the message and we have to respect what Fairfax, Zara and Chill, Jen are saying........... with out them we have no pf1.
    Those threads they are talking about have become ho hum, there is nothing new in them, it wont change, and i no longer read any of those threads, the infighting here is horendous. why ? what is the goal? i thought this was a chat forum where guidelines where helpful, no one is to disrepect any one, no one was to name call or bully.....sadly that is more the norm than not.

    Id suggest to all to abide by the rules or look elsewhere for their entertainment, as the mods and fairfax have been more than tolerant in the past, but when it is the law they have to abide by that no matter who thinks they have the right to free speech.

    just my 2 cents worth.

    keep it peaceful people, life just isnt worth the grief other wise.
    Last edited by beetle; 22-02-2013 at 07:31 PM.
    Im not trying to be difficult it just comes naturally.

  8. #68
    Wrinkly Member! B.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mount Maunganui
    Posts
    7,795

    Default Re: Discuss: The law, moaners, being PC, and where PF1 is headed

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    1) Actually, I wrote it, I have the original Google Doc. Don't give a toss about the "correspondence", it's a moot point because I suggested to her we start a thread before this all happened.

    2) Not true. Look at the likes of Paul Holmes thread about Waitangi Day. People are being pulled up for what they're writing.

    3) The "numbers" began to decline around the same time that you started posting anti-Maori threads regularly. Zara wasn't actually regularly active until mid-2012 (Much later). I recall we all got off to a rocky start, but I would have thought you'd be man enough to move on and put that behind you. Clearly I was wrong.

    4) Actually we *do* have a problem, centered around your threads. I don't give a rats ass about "being PC", I do however care about keeping these forums within the law. Everybody bitched back in the day that we couldn't talk about how to pirate Sky TV, but they got over it quickly. You're either going to do likewise or leave, because we're not acting out of our own spite here, so stop being a jackass towards the admins.

    5) I've been here for over 12 years now, don't talk to me about long-term members, I don't care.

    6) Yeah, you do that, but vent towards parliament and the lawmakers, not me, because I honestly don't care to hear anything further from you if that's going to be your attitude.

    Now, you can be constructive (For a change) with your comments, and step in to line (WITH THE LAW), or you can leave, because Fairfax is not about to be put at risk because of you. Take your pick.
    Actually, I wrote it, I have the original Google Doc. Don't give a toss about the "correspondence", it's a moot point because I suggested to her we start a thread before this all happened.
    Well what an amazing coincidence. I suggest it to Zara, she says she has already written it, and you say you did it all on your own.

    2) Not true. Look at the likes of Paul Holmes thread about Waitangi Day. People are being pulled up for what they're writing.
    The Paul Holmes thread proves nothing other than a few thought it was Politically Incorrect even if true.
    However, there is a huge difference between writing an article and using the Media to promote it and referring to an article already written and approved by the companyís editors. Please take note that what I have referred to is already approved by the Fairfax Editors. So I say again, that excuse is a Red Herring.


    3) The "numbers" began to decline around the same time that you started posting anti-Maori threads regularly. Zara wasn't actually regularly active until mid-2012 (Much later). I recall we all got off to a rocky start, but I would have thought you'd be man enough to move on and put that behind you. Clearly I was wrong.
    I'm picking there will be further decline

    4) Actually we *do* have a problem, centered around your threads. I don't give a rats ass about "being PC", I do however care about keeping these forums within the law. Everybody bitched back in the day that we couldn't talk about how to pirate Sky TV, but they got over it quickly. You're either going to do likewise or leave, because we're not acting out of our own spite here, so stop being a jackass towards the admins.
    I really must correct you here yet again because the Sky business which I had nothing to do with, is just another "Red Herring" and you are looking more and more like Zaraís lapdog.

    5) I've been here for over 12 years now, don't talk to me about long-term members, I don't care.
    Yes I think weíve been here about the same time, but the records donít go back that far and I donít care either.

    6) Yeah, you do that, but vent towards parliament and the lawmakers, not me, because I honestly don't care to hear anything further from you if that's going to be your attitude.

    Now, you can be constructive (For a change) with your comments, and step in to line (WITH THE LAW), or you can leave, because Fairfax is not about to be put at risk because of you. Take your pick.
    Please direct me to the Law which your arguments rely so heavily on, because I donít believe there is one.

    I believe I am quite within the law and Fairfax is in no danger unless the articles I have referred to, (which have already been approved by other Fairfax Editors) are incorrect.

    I trust this helps ease your concerns.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    .
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

    I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

  9. #69
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    28,120

    Default Re: Discuss: The law, moaners, being PC, and where PF1 is headed

    Quote Originally Posted by beetle View Post
    Stop shooting the messenger.............. Chill is passing on the message and we have to respect what Fairfax, Zara and Chill, Jen are saying........... with out them we have no pf1.
    Those threads they are talking about have become ho hum, there is nothing new in them, it wont change, and i no longer read any of those threads, the infighting here is horendous. why ? what is the goal? i thought this was a chat forum where guidelines where helpful, no one is to disrepect any one, no one was to name call or bully.....sadly that is more the norm than not.

    Id suggest to all to abide by the rules or look elsewhere for their entertainment, as the mods and fairfax have been more than tolerant in the past, but when it is the law hey have to abide by that no matter who thinks they have the right to free speach.

    just my 2 cents worth.

    keep it peaceful people, life just isnt worth the grief other wise.
    Did you actually read the whole law that Chill Posted ? It contradicts its self left right and center. So how is anyone meant to moderate it ?

    While chill did post the article, theres nothing wrong with that, if it wasn't him it would have been Jen, Zara or some other member of fairfax.

    Its the old story - if someone starts name calling or starts saying nasty things then people will push back or take actions - doesn't matter who it is. If its someone in Power its worse, that doesn't matter where it is.

  10. #70
    Off Limits...... beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Somewhere ......... near here....sometimes...near there too.......
    Posts
    4,069

    Default Re: Discuss: The law, moaners, being PC, and where PF1 is headed

    Why..................... ?

    Why does it manage to make normal people so angry and irate?

    seems like it doesnt matter if i agreed or disagreed with it, it seems like a little common sense and being nice and playing fair and not bite the hand that feeds you........
    I wasnt stating that the law was right, wrong or dum, i was just trying to say lets be careful and nice and play fair when it comes to posting things, its always been my motto if you cant say something nice to some one, then its best not to say any thing at all....... i know in the past ive failed at this multiple times...... but i keep trying.

    im not angry, im not mad, im totally disappointed in how bad and mean this forum has got ........ you guys are sucking the life out of a good place, by continually arguing,

    rules are there for a reason............ and right at the moment reguardless of if it is law or not, you guys seem to be pushing boundaries when its not needed.
    just my opinion.
    Last edited by beetle; 22-02-2013 at 07:52 PM.
    Im not trying to be difficult it just comes naturally.

Similar Threads

  1. Big Headed Baby
    By icow in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 09:55 PM
  2. Discuss your MP4 player pros and cons
    By magis in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 27-12-2008, 01:14 PM
  3. Is this where AMD is headed?
    By pcuser42 in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 19-09-2008, 08:58 PM
  4. Steve, Bill and Walt discuss Windows 7 and multitouch
    By vitalstatistix in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-05-2008, 06:00 PM
  5. Rootkits Are Now Headed To Your BIOS
    By SurferJoe46 in forum PressF1
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-01-2006, 07:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •