Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Default Re: Discuss: The law, moaners, being PC, and where PF1 is headed

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    I like to see discussion on any topic, but I think that it is wrong to put down someone's beliefs and ethics with scorn and derision. I believe that sort of thing should be clamped down on. As I have heard from the mods, as an admonishment: "play fair." I think that it is important to play fair. Respect the other person's point of view.
    Absolutely agree! Think that's a fantastic train of thought and moral to aspire towards, it's just a shame more don't share your views. This is where the law is stepping up its game.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    3) We've all had enough of threads complaining about a specific subset of the NZ populace.

Anything that discloses sensitive personal information, is threatening, intimidating or menacing, is grossly offensive, indecent or obscene, is part of a pattern of harassment, makes false allegations, or denigrates a person's colour, race, ethnicity or natural origins, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability.
    So....like what?
    No comments on ethnic minorities, sexual orientations, the religious, the non-religious, the disabled and so on....fair enough.

But...for instance, my post on Watercare? Does that count?
    I would say no as I did not say anything that wasn't fact and half the point was to draw attention to it, which was the case.......

The link seems to say comments about colour, race, religion and so on is OK if you make it into a joke. ?
    wipe your paws.

I can't see this doing the forum any good. It has already lost a lot of community feel because of certain members leaving so taking away the chat side of things will trash it all together. I understand there needs to be a limit but discussion of current affairs seems perfectly reasonable to me, even if it's not what some might want to hear. Since coming back here a bit more regularly I've seen plenty more members posts "modified" than what there was a couple years ago. I think that sorta buzzkill attitude will just push the older members away. Not pointing fingers though :-)

Out of curiosity Chill, how do the current active members compare with say 3 years ago? Could you also explain how what is posted here can impact fairfax? I don't get how a random person posting on the internet could be seen as representing Fairfaxes views.

I think the problem lies with the fact that everyone has a (naturally) subjective view of their world and that will inevitably clash with someone else's view. This is at the core of why people hate PC-ness - but everyone's view of what is PC is different, because everyone has been brought up differently and has a worldview based on their own experience.

I have my own prejudices, but I (mostly) try not to let them get too much air time - life's too short!

We all know that the law is an ass, so depending on the content of the Communications (New Media) bill and how it will be enforced, it will probably either just piss a lot of people off or go totally unnoticed. I heartily agree with The Error Guy's comments about how journalism tends to work, so quoting from a source like Stuff or the Herald is a total waste of time - you can guarantee that it will be biased and only telling part of the truth.

I support the work the Mods do - it's a thankless job (as we've seen!!) - and I haven't seen anything that I would consider uneven-handed.

But that's just my viewpoint - respect it, please.

I also agree with Chill that:

We've all had enough of threads complaining about a specific subset of the NZ populace. We all know the stats, you're preaching to the converted, it's probably best you take your crusade somewhere for fresh ears coz we're over the majority of the threads on PF1 being about that sorta thing
    and, to be "frank"

A small minority of incredibly vocal long-term members seem to like complaining about anything, just for the sake of complaining
    (even if he seemed to suddenly pop out of the woodwork - I have a suspicion it's an alias of a regular)

The fun seems to have gone out of the Chat forum for some reason...

Are we all becoming grumpy old men (or women, as applicable)?

How can we fix it? Maybe we need a new fridge thread, or a hypothetical-airplane-on-a-hypothetical-conveyor-belt thread...

Or maybe we need to take a chill-pill and not take everything so personally...

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Quote Originally Posted by johcar View Post
    The fun seems to have gone out of the Chat forum for some reason...

Are we all becoming grumpy old men (or women, as applicable)?

How can we fix it? Maybe we need a new fridge thread, or a hypothetical-airplane-on-a-hypothetical-conveyor-belt thread...
    The Chat forum has turned into a moan-fest. There are few light-hearted fun threads anymore, just political moaning on the same old topics, from the same very small group of members. Boring.

I nominate Johcar to organise a fun thread for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    The Chat forum has turned into a moan-fest. There are few light-hearted fun threads anymore, just political moaning on the same old topics, from the same very small group of members. Boring.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post

and the reason some members have left, which is a pretty sad situation considering one in particular has never spoken an off word here and been a fountain of knowledge
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Hmm does this mean no more monday jokes?
    Quote Originally Posted by nedkelly View Post
    I did not think of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Error Guy View Post
    Loving the quote! "I... Did not think of that"

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    I would not like to see restrictions on what can be discussed. We are supposed to be living in a democracy and free speech is a part of that democracy.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by SolMiester View Post
    Seems to me we went through something like this when Zara joined, and I couldn't be bothered anymore, so left....I mostly just come here now to see who's around.
    Fully agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    Absolutely agree! Think that's a fantastic train of thought and moral to aspire towards, it's just a shame more don't share your views. This is where the law is stepping up its game.
    Correction, pandering to the minorities. You won't see anyone up in arms if they have a go at us, but as soon as we catch them out, we are suddely the bad 'white trash' guys. The law is definitaley note stepping up it's game.
    PC: Intel® Core™ i5-650 3.20 GHz | Intel® Desktop Board DQ57TM | 8GB DDR3 RAM | Radeon HD 4870 | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

3) We've all had enough of threads complaining about a specific subset of the NZ populace. We all know the stats, you're preaching to the converted, it's probably best you take your crusade somewhere for fresh ears coz we're over the majority of the threads on PF1 being about that sorta thing
    There is about 5 threads relating to Maori in the last 100 or so, hardly what I would call excessive or worth having a moan over. And who is "we" as in "....we're over the ...." on whos behalf are you speaking from? PF1, the admin/mods, the members?
    4) A small minority of incredibly vocal long-term members seem to like complaining about anything, just for the sake of complaining. A surprising number of members have contacted us expressing how annoying it is. We agree.
    Seems to me that the complainers are complaining just for the sake of complaining which makes them no better really. Once again, who is "we"?
    5) The actual *technical* forum itself seems fine. It’s pretty much just those who linger in the Chat forums that are causing this to be brought up
    Maybe those complainers who are complaining should stop lingering then.

.... just saying.
    Intel Water Cooled i7 3770k, ,Z77X UB5, 30Gb mSATA SSD, 16Gb XPG DDR3 1600 Ram, 2x 1Tb HDD, GTX 670, Blu-Ray RW, Enermax NAXN 750W, CM HAF 912 Advanced Case.