Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Default Re: Discuss: The law, moaners, being PC, and where PF1 is headed

My god...what a lot of ranting.

Why didn't you just post this in the first place:

Rules:

Principle 1

A communication should not disclose sensitive personal facts about an individual.

Principle 2

A communication should not be threatening, intimidating, or menacing.

Principle 3

A communication should not be grossly offensive to a reasonable person in the complainantís position.

Principle 4

A communication should not be indecent or obscene.

Principle 5

A communication should not be part of a pattern of conduct that constitutes harassment.

Principle 6

A communication should not make a false allegation.

Principle 7

A communication should not contain a matter that is published in breach of confidence.

Principle 8

A communication should not incite or encourage anyone to send a message to a person with the intention of causing that person harm.

Principle 9

A communication should not incite or encourage another person to commit suicide.

Principle 10

A communication should not denigrate a person by reason of his or her colour, race, ethnic or national origins, religion, ethical belief, gender, sexual orientation, or disability.

Sounds clear to me.
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by Zara Baxter View Post
    I've been staying out of this thread, and intend to keep doing so: I don't want my presence to impede discussion. However, I felt it prudent to clear up a couple of things.

In reference to B.M. asking why we are having this discussion now, perhaps this will help clarify:
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10862726

I'd prefer to have a discussion around what is appropriate for our forum - which, as Chill noted, is a "robust forum" and has more leeway than many because of that - before the bill is tabled, than have the mods institute what we think is appropriate by fiat afterwards. FWIW, Fairfax and APN took action to ensure their newspaper forum/comments content met the proposed laws guidelines around September last year.

In addition, a number of issues around the same content has arisen because of disgruntled forum dwellers. So the timing seemed good.

Thanks to everyone for participating. It's good to see a few concrete suggestions put forth already. Goodiesguy: best of luck with your forum!
    Oh dear, so now we are trying to confuse the issue with Cyber Bullying.

Well the only Cyber Bullying Iíve ever seen on here was by a Moderator in this thread who got a very public and very embarrassing spanking for his trouble.

As for Fairfax anticipating the tabling of a Bill in Parliament, let me give you this analogy.

A now retired, but well known Traffic Officer, (he issued over 1,000,000 parking tickets in his career) has recommended that in order to reduce the Road Toll we should invoke American Road Rules and switch to driving on the right hand side of the road.

This has appealed to the Transport Minister who has agreed to try and fast track the Bill if it ever reaches Parliament.

Meantime, in anticipation of the Bill becoming Law, Fairfax has instructed all their employees to drive on the right hand side of the road!

Now, getting back to the thrust of this thread, which was only a thinly veiled attempt to stop me referring to articles that Fairfax have published about Maori, what is the latest position?
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Meantime, in anticipation of the Bill becoming Law, Fairfax has instructed all their employees to drive on the right hand side of the road!
    Presumably that means that if the Fairfax experiment works, the rest of the country will follow suit?
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Presumably that means that if the Fairfax experiment works, the rest of the country will follow suit?
    Yes that is correct and any causalities during the experiment will be recorded as "Road Kill" so as not to reflect in the "Road Toll".
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Oh and I should have mentioned Roscoe that should this “Bill” be passed into Law, all Heavy Traffic (Buses, Trucks) will move across first, with Cars and Motorbikes following a month later.

This is to ensure an orderly changeover.
    Last edited by B.M.; 25-02-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Let's have some reality. Right at the top of the page it says "PCWorld".
    That's pretty simple, but unfortunately there has come some new law, and lore about this law is that like all the low laws lurking, it is basically a self-serving bowl of tripe.
    "The law is a ass", and has been for a very long time. It is exceptionally unlikely that a law can be stopped because it is blatantly stupid. The whole lucrative game is based on precedent, so the first sign of common sense could bring down the system which, lamentable as it surely is, still comes out narrowly ahead of anarchy. (If anarchists could just embrace "cost plus" gouging, they would all be getting knighthoods along with the pirates.)
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Can I freely attack and slander berlusconi here???

Sorry just trying to make light of a thread that has become bigger than Texas...
    Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.

How about we have a sub-forum that only TEMPORARILY holds the content (Posts) that are determined to be potentially inflammatory.

The sub-forum is essentially a destination for threads (ie Moved threads) that the moderators deem to be derogatory, or banging the same old drum, and a potential point for complaints.

If the threads in there had a lifespan of 7 days since their last post, after which they fell into digital oblivion, then the OP could have the satisfaction of getting their post discussed, and getting stuff off their chest, while the mods and the Fairfax heirachy could relax in the knowledge that the venom in those posts is not going to be searchable for the rest of history, and they should be spared the big stick of the law.

Any posters who keep revisiting their posts to 'Bump' them alive for another week could have their pointless bumps removed, and the thread then allowed to die.

Isn't this a workable compromise, where everyone feels they've got a win out of it?

I sure don't want most of the mindless chit-chat I have here to stay for eternity.

So I'm proposing the Help forum be permanent, much of the Chat forum be permanent, depending on its content (ie keep the jokes!), and the moaning and PC lacking posts get the temporary treatment... like a chat session with limited permanence, and yeah, by all means keep this sub forum out of the reach of the Search Engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    Eating popcorn / watching grass grow / and watching pigs fly would be better than reading this dribble
    Well we are not going to roll over anymore, instead we will fight for our human rights.
    Your comments are so typical.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.