Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Default Re: Discuss: The law, moaners, being PC, and where PF1 is headed

I have no problem putting my credibility on the line - I don't believe there's a conspiracy - and no-one listens to me anyway. Just ask my wife (and kids)!
    Last edited by johcar; 24-02-2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Pertinent addition

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    It’s very noble of you Johcar to defend your mates, but when doing so remember your credibility may go on the line with theirs.
    What are you going on about now? Telling everyone who does not agree with you that their credibility is on the line is rather bizarre thing to say.

Summary:
    1. There is a pending/proposed/draft bill that will impact upon these forums.
    2. FairFax/PC World may implement these changes or the intent of these changes before the bill is law. Their forum, they can do what they like.
    3. As an aside, it would be nice not to have multiple threads each week all about Maori and the Treaty of Waitangi.

B.M. appears to be fixated about the wording used in some of the posts and cannot move past this point. They aren't 'magic' words, and if someone did not consistently say proposed/draft instead of law, or their choice of words were not as clear, it is not the end of the world. The intend of this thread is a discussion on the pending changes. The Mods are not trying to pull the wool over your eyes by secretly switching words around. Sigh. Are we all clear on that now?

If you wish to argue "words" then wait until PC World come out with something formal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    What are you going on about now? Telling everyone who does not agree with you that their credibility is on the line is rather bizarre thing to say.

Summary:
    2. FairFax/PC World may implement these changes or the intent of these changes before the bill is law. Their forum, they can do what they like.
    3. As an aside, it would be nice not to have multiple threads each week all about Maori and the Treaty of Waitangi.

B.M. appears to be fixated about the wording used in some of the posts and cannot move past this point. They aren't 'magic' words, and if someone did not consistently say proposed/draft instead of law, or their choice of words were not as clear, it is not the end of the world. The intend of this thread is a discussion on the pending changes. The Mods are not trying to pull the wool over your eyes by secretly switching words around. Sigh. Are we all clear on that now?

If you wish to argue "words" then wait until PC World come out with something formal.
    Everybody’s credibility goes on the line when they make a Post including mine.

That is why I try to get the facts right and back them.

Summary:

There is a draft bill that has never been presented let alone passed into law.

Fairfax/PC World could well be chasing fairies, but it is their site and they can do as they like within the law. Just don’t pass the buck.

A personal issue, but stopping Fairfax from continuously publishing Maori Issues should solve the problem. After all it is Fairfax that provides the ammunition.

B.M. is neither a mind reader nor clairvoyant and like everyone else is stuck with what is actually written.

I don’t think PC World is in much of a position to change the English language.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

A huge +1 to BM for posting the facts and nothing but the facts
    PC: Intel® Core™ i5-650 3.20 GHz | Intel® Desktop Board DQ57TM | 8GB DDR3 RAM | Radeon HD 4870 | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Where's pcuser42? I want some of that popcorn!

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Where's pcuser42? I want some of that popcorn!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	woman-eating-popcorn.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	4802

lol - not far wrong there.

Correct my English!

Quote Originally Posted by johcar View Post
    Even Chilling_Silence and Jen are human - and I know this to be true because I've met their human forms at a couple of PressF1 Auckland meetups....
    Was ID presented to prove that they are who they are?

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

Minister of Guitar. rob_on_guitar's Avatar

So if the law is non existent.... we have to be PC about discussing the moaners... and fairfax say where PF1 is heading....
    The thread should just be closed before wasting more time.
    Last edited by rob_on_guitar; 25-02-2013 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Haven't had morning coffee yet
    Current band: Leave The Dead

The Zeditor (Admin)

I've been staying out of this thread, and intend to keep doing so: I don't want my presence to impede discussion. However, I felt it prudent to clear up a couple of things.

In reference to B.M. asking why we are having this discussion now, perhaps this will help clarify:
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10862726

I'd prefer to have a discussion around what is appropriate for our forum - which, as Chill noted, is a "robust forum" and has more leeway than many because of that - before the bill is tabled, than have the mods institute what we think is appropriate by fiat afterwards. FWIW, Fairfax and APN took action to ensure their newspaper forum/comments content met the proposed laws guidelines around September last year.

In addition, a number of issues around the same content has arisen because of disgruntled forum dwellers. So the timing seemed good.

Thanks to everyone for participating. It's good to see a few concrete suggestions put forth already. Goodiesguy: best of luck with your forum!
    Last edited by Zara Baxter; 25-02-2013 at 08:07 AM.