Default Network folder/sync/backup

In short, I want to backup my photos to another computer (an xp one). My computer is running Mint 14 Cinnamon. I've been having some trouble working out how to set this up. me please

Default Re: Network folder/sync/backup

Share a folder on the XP.
    Mount the share on Mint.
    rsync the data to the mountpoint.
    Lay me down the long white line
    Leave the sirens far behind me
    Paint my name in black and gold
    My heart my flame my heart my road

Hi Nick G,

I am not sure how capable you are of running your Linux distribution but I hope you can work yourself around terminal. I am on Fedora which uses a different package manager and can also have a different directory structure. I have used Ubuntu/Mint, so I'll try to give you the instructions but as for locations of files, this could differ.

Open terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get -y install samba
    If you need a GUI to help you, you can also install samba-swat (a web-based configuration tool) or system-config-samba (a desktop based configuration tool)

Unfortunately I don't talk about using these but you maybe able to figure out how to do the same things with these tools.

So which folder do you want to share? At this stage are you worried about security cause I'm just going to show the easiest way to set it up, ignoring security/authentification.

Code:
    chmod 777 /folder/to/share
    Next we need to edit the samba configuration file, put whatever text editor you are comfortable with. I'm using nano.

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf
    Go through this file looking for the Global Settings and change workgroup = WORKGROUP to the workgroup you use on Windows. Look for the line security = user and change it to security = share.

Now scroll to the end and add these settings, change them if you need to:

Code:
    [share]
    path = /folder/to/share
    writable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    guest only = yes
    create mode = 0777
    directory mode = 0777
    share modes = yes
    Save your changes then issue:

Code:
    service smbd restart
    Now all you need to do is try to see if it can be seen by your Windows XP machine. If not you can try connecting to the IP address of your Mint machine. If you have any issues, let me know, show any error messages, etc that you may have gotten.

Cheers,

KK

You don't need samba server, XP is doing the sharing.
    smbclient should be installed by default on mint (it is what provides the 'browse network' functionality in the file manager.
    Lay me down the long white line
    Leave the sirens far behind me
    Paint my name in black and gold
    My heart my flame my heart my road

Nick G did mention sharing a folder from Mint and nothing about sharing a writeable folder from Windows to be mounted. He also mentions he's having trouble setting it up on his Mint machine. So that's what I provided.

I'm a Fedora user, been using Red Hat/Fedora before Ubuntu/Mint even existed which is why I don't know what's installed on Mint, I have not used it extensively to know this which is why I added the install commands. That way if it already is installed it will return saying it's already installed and you only lost a few seconds of your time doing that.

There's so many possible ways to do this, it's really hard to say which would be better unless he also provided more than a short explanation of what he really requires. I did wonder what he meant by the sync/backup too and would probably suggest using rsync too, but it's one directional and not sure if he would do any alterations on these files from either machine.

Cheers,

KK

Right, long explanation time. I currently store all my photo on my computer (running Mint). I do backup my documents, but as I'm too broke to by an external HDD if my HDD died I'd lose a lot of photos. I'd like to use the family computer as my own cloud (backing up my photos automatically to the xp computer). I could, theoretically, manually transfer them over, but it would take a while. Was wondering if there was a way that I could set up a network folder, put all my photos in that network folder, than access the folder from the xp machine and copy the photos off, onto the xp machines HDD.

Kame Krazee - I'm pretty new to linux, as such don't know an awful lot of terminal commands. Having said that, I'm learning, and I don't mind using the terminal.

I would go with fred_fish on this one
    share a folder on the xp machine
    mount that share on your mint machine
    then you can set up a cron job to do automated backing up to the xp machine

Right, will try that and let you know how it goes.

Cheers