Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The cell phone and me.

A couple of months ago I got VOIP. This resulted in my medic alarm not working. I'm still waiting for a wireless one!
    I decided to get my first cell phone.
    First I bought a smart LG. After a week I gave it away. Don't think I made a successful call with it. I gave it to a lady who's grandson set it up for her and she loves it. Pity I don't have a grandson.
    Next I bought a cheap Telecom one. With push buttons. This I have mastered. All it does is make and receive calls. It's not smart. It makes calls, nothing else. I use it every day.
    Now I've got silly again
    I got to reading the advertiments and Telecom had a Samsung Genius 3 that was said to be "All set up. Take it out of the box and start useing it". "Fully Tested" "The Latest and Greatested". I ordered it and it arrived the next day. Out of the box, and I couldn't even get it to turn on. After playing with it for a while I phoned Telecom and the help person worked out I hadn't put the battery in. Fixed. It turnedd on. Then I couldn't do anything with it. Everything I tried produced a message "not registered" or it wanted to search for a Wi Fire connection. Which it never found. Aother call to Tcom,and after an hour on the phone without any luck was told to take it into the Tcom shop. Here they discovered it was missing a sim card.That got it working! After making choice comments about "ready to use" and "Tested".I agreed it was now ready to use.
    I can now read e-mail. But I can't make a phone call.And this is my fault. I have been trying to put my contacts into the thing and after a week trying I do not have a single entry. I'm half blind and have stiff fingers and just can not hit the right numbers.
    Anyone want to make an offer for an $870 cell phone?
    Jack GOF.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Default Re: The cell phone and me.

TradeMe may be your best bet if you're selling the Galaxy S3.

You should be able to take it into the store and have them migrate your contacts for you though? They can also help setup buttons on your main screen so you have 1-button push to dial.

Sounds like you had a right royal time with Telecom

Sometimes I think they take advantage of people like yourself, Telecom and one Apple fanatic uncle later my coming up 80 grandma and other uncle are running around with iPhones, 600 mins, ridiculous number of texts and 2GB of data each. paying some $150 a month for it. What sort of a egg head salesman would effectively "trick" people into buying into that. Since when are those two EVER going to use 3G data? heck granny barley knows how to turn the damn thing on! The uncle does better though.

The Galaxy S3 is a very nice phone, and if I had the funds available I'd certainly look into making you an offer. Sadly I'm about to nip off to university so all pleasure spending is off the books for me atm. I just turned down a very nice price for a Bell & Howell 16mm Cinematic camera. Perfect condition and all, exposure meter working too. Guy was asking $95. I said bloody hell mate, you could ask heaps more. He replied "I'm not into it for the money, it's one of the reasons I been around 20 odd years and the others haven't"

If I was in your area I'd happily drop round to play "grandson" and help you get on the straight and narrow with it to give it another chance. Perhaps someone else is nearby? Best of luck with the sale Poor form of telecom to advertise it in the way to described. Bunch of swindlers!
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<

Quote Originally Posted by JJJJJ View Post
    I have been trying to put my contacts into the thing and after a week trying I do not have a single entry. I'm half blind and have stiff fingers and just can not hit the right numbers.
    Anyone want to make an offer for an $870 cell phone?
    The Telecom shop could have and should have done this for you as well.

You can go back in with both phones and get them to do it.
    wipe your paws.

To the reasonably tech savvy this stuff seems obvious so they don't understand that it can be difficult for others for various reasons. Whoever came up with the advertsing probably thought it was fairly accurate and for a lot of people it should be.
    However that doesn't help here, perhaps this type of phone just doesn't suit someone with your physical challenges (eyesight fingers etc). I love my S3 but even so I often have problems with the touchscreen, particulary "a" for some reason where I repeatedly get "s" instead. sometimes I miss physical buttons. Great as smartphones are I still believe for straight up phone duty they are a step backwards in many ways, it's everything else they do that makes them great.

It seems like your only two options is to either get someone to help you set it all up and show you how to use it, or sell it like you suggest. Good luck whichever way you go, it's an expensive exercise if it doesn't work out for you
    I think one lesson here when spending this kind of money is try before you buy, hindsight and all that.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

What has been said by the OP and dugimodo is true, the young chaps at Telecom just don't get it. Having spent a lot of time (hopefully) constructively educating various tech users on certain functions with iOS, Android and even WP I know you really have to go to basics. Thats all they want. Usually its better to demonstrate what they are buying into rather than try make a quick sale. A lot of people have asked me which iPhone to get. After showing them my Galaxy and an iPhone they quickly realize its just not for them. A button phone is usually the way to go.

Sadly (poorly written CV mostly to blame I think) Telecom didn't want to hire me last time I applied. Being in one of their sales stores would be great, other than the fact all their phones are a tad on the expensive side
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<

Yes, what they need is an old fogey like me out the back fixing stuff.
    Then when someone needs to talk to a person with common sense, they could drag me out
    which means non-youth could have a chance,
    our youth-centric commercial sector is a bleak place for many of us older folk.
    FTW

Its a bleak place for everyone, they don't know what they are doing.

There are some decent ones, I'll give you that. But a lot of the time I'd much rather speak to a well grounded older chap, they know so many damn tips and tricks. Mostly to do with non modern stuff, but frankly the modern stuff doesn't have much to it. Try going into a photo store, talk to some guy about pushing the film a few stops and cross processing a roll which used an old, now un used agfa process. The little twit looks at me and says "wut? Like instagram" Nearly slaughtered the lad right there for that slanderous term. Thankfully the boss rolled up and we had an extremely enlightening yarn about film emulsions. I was actually pleased the young chap came over between customers and learned a bit, just sat in and listened. Had a few questions which is good. Learning is key.

Its a tough business unfortunately, the younger chaps like myself are battling everyone too. No one can win. Still, I'm more than stoked when I come across some knowledgeable elders. They seem to be the only ones capable of holding an intelligent conversation that doesn't revolved around some awful TV/Computer related stuff. You can always tell too, walk into their shed with spare V belts & seals stacked neatly in decaying packets along the wall. Spanners, tools etc lightly oiled hanging in the back. Tells you straight up - this bloke knows what's what. Sadly a dying breed. Tomorrow you'll be lucky if you find a screwdriver in the garage
    The Master Of Deception

VoidMaster

Insightful rave, The Error Guy, thanks.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

Hmm... if you had stayed with a phone line instead of VOIP you would not have had any of this grief JJJJJ.

You have already spent more on cell phones than breaking the Orcon contract and going back to a reliable phone that you know your alarm would work with at about 99.99% or so reliability. It is not too late.