Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8

Default Windows 8

OK all you early adopters out there. You have all now had several months to get used to W8. Do any of you like it? Or do you all wish you had stuck with W7, (or XP for that matter.)

Do we have a consensus of opinion on whether W8 is a step forward, or has Microsoft pulled a blunder on this one.

Default Re: Windows 8

It was alright. Even tho it doesnt have a start menu, there are alternative programs. Its still got a few things that need to be fixed tho

Hmm, dealing with it a bit now with clients computers/laptops. I dont mind it, I can get my way around fine, but most of my clients are having trouble with it, putting the mouse into the corners and either left of right clicking mostly - they seem to forget they can do it. Seems to be some confusion between the two Internet Explorer versions (app and desktop) that is confusing some as well.
    They all know it is something they have to learn and get used to, but it is also clearly a move that they probably would have prefered not to make and wish they had kept their Win7 or bought before Win 8 came out.

Personally, I think it will be somewhat of a failure (on desktop systems and some laptops anyway). Microsoft have said they want to standardise their OS over all platforms (desktop, laptop/notebook, tablet, phone, etc). I feel that if it wasnt for the tablet and phone, it would be another Vista (excuse the bad language). I do have it on a spare system at the office, dont really have a use for it, so dont turn it on much. My Win 7 will be fine for me for the next few years I think.
    Intel Water Cooled i7 3770k, ,Z77X UB5, 30Gb mSATA SSD, 16Gb XPG DDR3 1600 Ram, 2x 1Tb HDD, GTX 670, Blu-Ray RW, Enermax NAXN 750W, CM HAF 912 Advanced Case.

If you have Win7, stay with it - pointless to 'upgrade' or 'downgrade'to Win8, unless you have a touchscreen.

For a new PC, I'll get Win 7 because I know it will work brilliantly for me with my new hardware. Personally, I think Win8 is a failure - like Vista.

If you are truly Tech savvy & dont mind spending time to 'fix' it, then its fine.

If you are Joe average , its a disaster. They get too confused & dont want to learn a new OS
    For corporates, its a disaster. Most corporates wont want to re-train all their staff.

We wont sell or supply PC's/laptops with Win8, we'll keep selling Win7 pro machines.
    Even the local PC Builder who supplies us doesnt recommend it.

yes, its another Vista/Me : purely because MS ignored what the public & Corporates actually wanted, not because of how it performs (this time)
    I honestly think it will push more & more users towards Mac's . We often get our clients asking us about Macs, many seriously consider a Mac rather than a new Win PC/lappy

Personally after using it for a while on both customers PC's and some of my own, I prefer it over W7.

Theres actually been quite a few times I've gone to do tasks on W7 and they seen so damn slow compared to windows 8.

What a lot of people dont know is W8 has quite a few "neat" and time saving features. Then again the average user wouldn't use them.

What I do find is once you teach some people how to actually do things they like it. Esp if the are used to using a tablet either iPad or Android, its actually a lot easier.

The biggest problem is people get stuck in a certain mind set, and once there they dont like changes. The start menu for example on windows 8, when setup to work hows its meant to its actually a lot quicker than the old start menu on W7 and before.

The biggest problem is NAME Brand PC's -- they still load in a bunch of Crap, which makes it OMFG !!! Once you remove all the crap and add on programs you actually use the W8 start menu leaves W7 in the dust.

One thing that many who hate W8 dont seem to think of, If MS keeps its future OS's similar then when W7 is no longer available those people will have been left behind and find it even harder.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 13-02-2013 at 04:15 PM.

I don't miss the Start menu much at all.

And my mum came up with a good way to handle the two interfaces: the desktop is used for work (with MYOB, Word, Excel etc. pinned to the taskbar) and what-used-to-be-Metro as play (with a few games and toys pinned to Start) - although Chrome is only in desktop mode at the moment.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

Well it'll be better than the next Xbox that (maybe) coming out. Which will (so some / or most sites say) will come with a kinect (it has to be connected permanently for it to work), and it'll have to be connected to the net permanently to work. And you wont be able to use 2nd hand games on it. And the controllers you use now, wont work with it. The only good thing about it, will be the specs.

I prefer Win8 over Win7, I don't miss the Start menu at all.

-Switching & starting applications is much easier now by just pressing the 'win key'
    -Start up time is MUCH MUCH quicker than Win7
    -Able to read camera RAW files directly
    -Task bars on multiple monitors, no more going back to the main monitor to select applications
    -Able to mount ISO natively

Some interesting comments here so far. I intend replacing XP very soon, so you are helping me decide whether to go for W7 or W8. So far I am tending towards W7 Home Premium.

Keep commenting.