Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry pi

Default Raspberry pi

I know there were some posts on this a few months ago. But since I've been here, in England, I thought I might buy one (or maybe two). It sounds like it could be a good "next project" for me.
    The first thing that springs to mind is a media player. The second is a real small version of the servers I built last year. No rational logic in this, just curiosity.

What are people on this forum doing with their raspberry pi's, these days?

Default Re: Raspberry pi

Lots of things, a friends of mine is using his to control a quadcopter, and mine (when I get it) will be controlling a R/C aircraft, providing functions such as stall recovery, return waypoint (should it fly out of range), autonomous flight will come later. Only thing is I need GPS, Accelerometer and a few other accessories to make it work, so I'm actually thinking about just using my Galaxy S2 and outputting via USB OTG (if possible)

I know another friend uses his for Multi touch tables and making interactive displays or the equivalent of a smart TV, just because he wasn't happy with the performance of the current smart TV's, both in function, style and display quality.

I hear RPi have released their $25 RPi in the UK now too.
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<

Foxy just b uilt one into a media server thread was up only 2 weeks ago on it

What to use the Raspberry Pi for?

A radio.

I would love to have the smarts to build a radio. Here's a specification:

- two 'tuners'. (Internet streamers rather than tuners. We're not considering RF)
    - pressing a physical 'on' button turns on the radio and starts playing one of the tuners without any navigation
    - a button on the remote toggles between the two tuners. Both tuners can be streaming at the same time but one muted
    - a button on the remote turns on a large-ish LED display and allows navigation of radio stations
    - a favourites list allowing assignment of stations to the two tuners
    - (the hard bit?) the currently-playing tuner goes into a 1-hour buffer and can be 're-wound'. Like MySky or Tbox

Currently use TuneIn on a WDTV Live HD media player. (Early generation - I don't think the latest WDTV includes TuneIn, but it might have Shoutcast?)

BUT it's quite a performance getting things going. Need to turn on a TV for display, wait ages for things to warm up and for the WDTV to load its OS. Then have to navigate interminable menus, wait for the internet connection to come up... I want something that I can push a button on as I walk past on the way to the coffee-maker - and that's all I do
    Ryzen 7 1700 @ stock, EVO 960 500GB M.2 NVMe, G-Skill 2 x 16GB @ 2.4GHz,
    GA-AB350N-Gaming Wifi (mITX), EVGA GTX970. Media player: i7-6700k

Hmmmm warm raspberry pie
    Multiplayer games are the Shizz "Theres nothing like killing your mates!" Me

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

I was using mine for a file-server, but even a powered USB hub would cause it to crash with my 4x USB HDD's. Needed to get a power supply with more juice, but couldn't be bothered... Will order another sometime though for that purpose, but for the mean time I've got mine to replace my WDTV and it's now running XBMC!

Runs a treat, though the short audio "jitter" in the first 2 seconds of each video file pisses me off no end, but most people don't notice it coz movies are usually silent for the first little bit. I run a ton of music videos though and it's so annoying

Awesome little devices though!1
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Mine runs as a web server for tide forecasts:
    http://www.tideman.kiwi.nz/TiForeHiLo/
    http://www.tideman.kiwi.nz/TiForeHiLo/Chathams

I had a lot of fun learning php and developing these sites.
    One of the things I had to figure out was how to do the calculations fast, without using much memory and with limited CPU. I ended up using Fortran 95 for that.
    Learning is what RPi was designed for, mainly for kids, not Gold-Card holders like me............

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan View Post
    Learning is what RPi was designed for, mainly for kids, not Gold-Card holders like me............
    Hey, hey! None of that! There's no age limit on learning. I damn well I hope I'm still learning when I get my gold card (if they haven't been sold off or made Maori only) and not feeding through a straw with other brain dead chumps instagramming their rheumatism pills. #YOLO #Olds-life #poppinpills
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<

Mmmmmmmm.............Kate Tukapa's Avatar

Running mine as a media server over home network running XBMC (Openelec).

Still got some tweaking to do but works well with compressed blu-ray rips.
    Asus P8Z77-V LK, Core i5 3570K, 8GB DDR3 1600, 128GB SSD, 12TB HDD, GeForce GTX660 Ti 2GB, Blu-ray writer, Enermax 750W PSU, Coolermaster CM 690 II Case, Windows 8 Professional

I'm not so young myself - closer to 70 now than 60. But one thing we gotta do, is keep the brain working, and hey! why not learn things about computing.

Those look like very interesting uses for RPi's, Tideman. I had thought about a remote weather station....? As well as the aforementioned media player.