Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Why is my new USB 3.0 1TB SLOOOW when copying data over the network?

Almost definately the network, the thompson has 100Mb/s ports. Divide that by 8 to get MB/s that windows reports file transfers in and you are already down to 12.5MB/s and that's not taking overheads or router performance into account, like someone said an average hdd-hdd transfer will be in the 40-100MB/s range. Also if one drive was in fact connected via USB 2 then anything copied from that would also be limited to USB 2 speeds.

What I do at home is connect my PC's to each other with a cheap 5 port Gb switch, then connect the router to one port of that to provide internet. Even a Cheap switch is hugely faster than a 4 port router with 100Mb/s ports. No longer necessary though, my new router is Gb
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Default Re: Why is my new USB 3.0 1TB SLOOOW when copying data over the network?

Mine is too, though to be honest the TL-WR1043ND struggles when I'm hammering it with gigabit transfers...
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Wanderer

Is the Wifi turned off? With my laptop if both are on, it may choose Wifi instead.

You might want to see if the router is the issue. Take the two computers and wire up with just a network cable (nothing in between). Turn off Windows Firewall first b/c without the router the software think it is a risk. How are the speeds?
    Last edited by Nomad; 05-02-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Do I suppose your machine is doing virus checking too?

I'm standing outside your room right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MushHead View Post
    I'd also guess that your network speed is the culprit, rather than the HD's. Why don't you try the old "sneakernet" approach as a test: try copying your 800MB file to a USB drive and transferring it in either direction. I'm betting that the speeds will be quite normal then. Your PC's might have gigabit ethernet, but I'd doubt that your Thomson router does (not that many do, yet). It may just have pretty crappy throughput capability, or you may have a cable issue.

On the subject of HD space, the manufacturers quote drive capacities in "decimal" - GB, which are 1000*1000*1000, whereas there's still quite a bit of software that uses "binary" GB (correct suffix is GiB, IIRC), which is 1024*1024*1024. That accounts for quite a difference, but you also have formatting overhead which permanently uses up a fraction of the capacity to take into account also.
    Hiya,

The thought of a network issue never crossed my mind. I never thought that speeds in relation to my router could make a significant impact to my overall performance when copying data to and fro each computer?. Maybe this can also explain why my internet connection is slow at times, because this time last year, I had workers installing new broadband cables down my street and area. Since then, my internet can be really fast and other times it can be pretty lousy. Maybe all of these performance issues are like you say because of the Router. I haven't thought about buying another one, because it might give me a head ache. lol.
    Thanks for your help too.

Quote Originally Posted by PENTIUM View Post
    Do I suppose your machine is doing virus checking too?
    You could be right as well. I have being using the Avast free vision virus tool for a year and it checks quite a lot. I also checked the number of CPU usage and memory, but both seem fine or reasonable. So no hold ups there. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Almost definately the network, the thompson has 100Mb/s ports. Divide that by 8 to get MB/s that windows reports file transfers in and you are already down to 12.5MB/s and that's not taking overheads or router performance into account, like someone said an average hdd-hdd transfer will be in the 40-100MB/s range. Also if one drive was in fact connected via USB 2 then anything copied from that would also be limited to USB 2 speeds.

What I do at home is connect my PC's to each other with a cheap 5 port Gb switch, then connect the router to one port of that to provide internet. Even a Cheap switch is hugely faster than a 4 port router with 100Mb/s ports. No longer necessary though, my new router is Gb
    Hiya,
    Sounds like a great idea. I might just try what you have suggested in regards to buying a cheap 5 port Gb switch, especially my 4 port router which is not enough for me as I need twice this number for all of my cables. Is GB the same as Gigabyte; (The Manufacturer) or the speed in which data can roughly run at?
    Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Is the Wifi turned off? With my laptop if both are on, it may choose Wifi instead.

You might want to see if the router is the issue. Take the two computers and wire up with just a network cable (nothing in between). Turn off Windows Firewall first b/c without the router the software think it is a risk. How are the speeds?
    Hiya!
    You've also highlighted an issue I remember with the WiiFi switched on. This never crossed my mine too and I remember it used to slow things down using a Desktop PC. My speeds did change a little over time, but then crawled like a snail.
    Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    Mine is too, though to be honest the TL-WR1043ND struggles when I'm hammering it with gigabit transfers...
    Hiya,

Sounds to me, you must have one mean ass network to do gigabit transfers. .....Sounds, like I need to upgrade and find a better router than what Telecom gave to me.
    Thanks for your help.

Hiy all,

Here is my solution to this problem:
    One of the key things I found was that the PC with the 1TB HDD, wasn't configured at all with it's own IP address, Gateway etc like with the rest of my PC's in my network. After tried this, copying the 800mb of data to my 1TB HDD was a breeze! It took me about 30 seconds and by this time, I thought all had been resolved! Just to reconfirm this, I tried copying 4 gb's of data, and it took me roughly 2 minutes or so (maybe a little more) but to me it made a huge difference. By then I felt confident all had been resolved, until I tried to copy the 33Gb's of data; then it went back to crawling like a snail again. It said it would take me roughly 5 hours to complete.

So annoyed about the experience, I removed the 1TB HDD out of the newer PC and placed it inside the other PC (which had all of the data I wanted to copy from). Again by this time when it came to copying 33Gb's of data, the computer managed to complete this in 15 minutes. Yesterday, I copied 57 Gigabytes of data over to the Hard Drive and it took (roughly 1/2 hour) to complete. I have also been copying other data to my hard drive and it's doing it in short time as well with no problems or hassels.

What I realize now is that, the network has been identified as the culprit; not the 1TB hard drive (although I never had this problem when using the SATA2 Hard drives) as I thought at first. So in conclusion, It looks like I need to start looking at a good router that can support greater speeds so I don't encounter this problem again. If anyone can suggest some reasonably priced routers / switches that you can recommend, that would be greatful.

Otherwise, I'll look into finding better routers and switches.
    This problem (for me) has been offically solved, thanks to all of your help Guys & Gals. I really appreciate it!
    Cheers.