Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I'm standing outside your room right now.

Default Why is my new USB 3.0 1TB SLOOOW when copying data over the network?

Hiya!
    I am mystified why my USB SATA 3.0 1TB HDD takes forever when copying data over the network. When I mean forever, I mean that in mathematic measurements such as (kbs) as opposed to (Mbs) or higher (Gbs)

I've tried copying 33GB's of music videos from one PC to the other (which has USB 3.0 support) and it copies data at "snail pace". I thought for a moment, this could be related to the large amount of data to be copied. So I tried copying MP3 songs with a smaller size (800mb) but still the same problem. I was expecting this hard drive to run at Gb pace NOT at 10 -17 kbps!!!!!

Does anyone know what the cause of this problem is, and what I need to do to resolve it?

Thanks

Just FYI:
    =========
    The 1 TB hard disk drive is USB 3.0 Internal and brand new which I got today (Monday 4th February), The other hard disk drive is 250 Gbs and second hand with no problems (2-3 years)
    Both hard disk drives are Seagate brands (Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 64MB 1TB) and (Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250820A 250GB 7200)
    Both hard disk drives are SATA. The 1TB is USB3.0 and the 250Gb is USB 2.0
    Both PC's are relatively new. (The PC with USB 3.0 and has 1TB installed) is 1 month old, while the other (250gb) that has the music videos is (6 months old)
    Both are up to date according to their website for drivers.
    Both run Windows 7. (The PC with USB 3.0 and has 1TB installed is running Windows 7 x64) and the other Windows 7 x32 bit
    Both are up to date
    Both are not running major programs to cause slow down, except for watching Music videos using Video LC media player.

Default Re: Why is my new USB 3.0 1TB SLOOOW when copying data over the network?

Oh wait a minute....... the 250 Gb Hard Disk Drive is IDE NOT SATA as I originally thought.

Computer Tech

Default Re: Why is my new USB 3.0 1TB SLOOOW when copying data over the network?

Wait I'm confused.
    You talk about the drives being usb3.0 and usb2.0 but then say there internal installed in the machines.
    Do you actuallly mean sata3 and sata2?
    How are the computers networked? Ethernet cable and switch or router or ate they wireless?

You're not copying across wireless are you?

Yeah describe your network? And the speeds of your network cards

and are your 2 machines side by side?

ethernet?
    gigabit?
    100mbit?

10 base T

token ring?

Wanderer

Correct me but ... HDs do not work at Gb speeds. That's all theory. The HD doesn't spin fast enough. To copy 800MB how long was it in real time? Windows might be misreporting the speed value. I found that SATA internal for me or eSATA (external) 50-80MB/sec is a great speed. If ya copying many small song files, it will never peak cos it's always starting and stopping. Yeah what network ..
    Last edited by Nomad; 05-02-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    Wait I'm confused.
    You talk about the drives being usb3.0 and usb2.0 but then say there internal installed in the machines.
    Do you actuallly mean sata3 and sata2?
    How are the computers networked? Ethernet cable and switch or router or ate they wireless?
    Hi there!
    Yes that is correct. One hard drive is Sata 3 (1TB) and the other IDE (250GB)
    Both computers are Ethernet
    Both connect through Switch (provided by Telecom 4 years ago "Thomson")

Quote Originally Posted by nmercer View Post
    You're not copying across wireless are you?

Yeah describe your network? And the speeds of your network cards

and are your 2 machines side by side?

ethernet?
    gigabit?
    100mbit?

10 base T

token ring?
    Hi.
    No I am not copying over wireless. My network is Ethernet. CAT5E.
    One PC is located in one room (Dinning) and the other PC is in the (study)
    I don't know the speeds of my network suffice to say except with the fact they should be: (10/100/1000 Mbit)

These are my motherboard specifications:

PC1
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P5G4...specifications

PC2
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4150#ov

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Correct me but ... HDs do not work at Gb speeds. That's all theory. The HD doesn't spin fast enough. To copy 800MB how long was it in real time? Windows might be misreporting the speed value. I found that SATA internal for me or eSATA (external) 50-80MB/sec is a great speed. If ya copying many small song files, it will never peak cos it's always starting and stopping. Yeah what network ..
    Hi there!

You're probably right there about HD's not running at Gb speeds! I didn't know that. I guess its the same when people buy a 1TB, they would expect to use 1,000 Gbs, but instead end up with 931GB to work with? I didn't finish copying 800mb in total, because it said it was going to take 4 minutes. 4 minutes in my mind sounds pretty quick, but then after waiting for 4 minutes, it hasn't done anything yet so I gave up trying. I did try to copy my entire music collection first (33.gbs) which consists of MP3's, and FLV formats, but my computer said it would take 5 hours to complete.

Cheers

I'd also guess that your network speed is the culprit, rather than the HD's. Why don't you try the old "sneakernet" approach as a test: try copying your 800MB file to a USB drive and transferring it in either direction. I'm betting that the speeds will be quite normal then. Your PC's might have gigabit ethernet, but I'd doubt that your Thomson router does (not that many do, yet). It may just have pretty crappy throughput capability, or you may have a cable issue.

On the subject of HD space, the manufacturers quote drive capacities in "decimal" - GB, which are 1000*1000*1000, whereas there's still quite a bit of software that uses "binary" GB (correct suffix is GiB, IIRC), which is 1024*1024*1024. That accounts for quite a difference, but you also have formatting overhead which permanently uses up a fraction of the capacity to take into account also.
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Those Thomson routers have pretty nasty throughput. Also, grab TeraCopy and use it to copy your files and it'll show you slightly better stats that are similar to Win8s.

Try defragging your source HDD too then go again.