Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Needs a reversed Cougar! tuiruru's Avatar

Default Putting the cart before the horse - a weighty matter!!

Ha! Talking about putting the cart before the horse!! My wife was listening to the news on radio this morning and heard a report that went along the lines of.... Recent research has shown that "obese" people are 80% more likely to die in car crashes than "normal" people. Now the President of The Fat People's Society (or whatever it is) is calling for, nay demanding, that car manufacturers put more money and research into making cars safer for fat people!!

A fuller report can be read here, but it states:

""Our findings suggest two things: first, that there is something about obese vehicle occupants that causes poorer outcomes. That thing is probably a higher prevalence of comorbidities -- other health conditions -- related to obesity that inhibit survival and recovery from severe injury," he said.

Second, earlier research has shown that the proper interaction between seat belts and the human body is inhibited in the obese, Rice said.

"Specifically, the lap belt is prevented from engaging the pelvis due to excess body fat. It is this engagement between lap belt and pelvis that impedes the forward motion of occupants during frontal collisions," he said."

Well, two things occur to me here a) the findings are bleedin' obvious, and b) why should car makers have to go to the trouble of "picking up the pieces" (pun intended) for a large group of people (another pun intended) who are consistently making the wrong lifestyle choices??!!
    Noli illegitimi carborundorum

As I hurtled through space one thought kept crossing my mind. Every part of this capsule was supplied by the lowest bidder.
    John Glenn

Default Re: Putting the cart before the horse - a weighty matter!!

Pedal powered cars might rectify matters quite smartly by thinning down the ranks of the obese travelers in fairly short order.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Bleakly Optomistic

Possibly one of the reasons I'm not obese or have a beer belly is because I don't drive. I generally walk where not overly inconvenient, even it is just a pub 2 hours walk away

Quote Originally Posted by the_bogan View Post
    Possibly one of the reasons I'm not obese or have a beer belly is because I don't drive. I generally walk where not overly inconvenient, even it is just a pub 2 hours walk away
    The positive to that is you've worked up a thirst getting to pub - the negative is that by the time you get home again you'd be thirsty again...

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Needs a reversed Cougar! tuiruru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R2x1 View Post
    Pedal powered cars might rectify matters quite smartly by thinning down the ranks of the obese travelers in fairly short order.
    Do you mean that if they used a pedal car they'd get thinner, or that they just wouldn't bother, thus reducing the weight of traffic on the road?
    Noli illegitimi carborundorum

As I hurtled through space one thought kept crossing my mind. Every part of this capsule was supplied by the lowest bidder.
    John Glenn

Its hardly rocket science fat people are unhealthy I could have worked out fat people could be snuffed out easier than healthy thin people.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

As they have been saying for years, fat isn't healthy. Well duh.
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<

And more mass in an accident..... well hellooooo
    Multiplayer games are the Shizz "Theres nothing like killing your mates!" Me

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Thin folks are not healthy either, it's the middle group to slightly overweight who
    live healthy lives according to latest research.

Auto manufacturers must ensure the maximum safety of all who use their
    killer machines, which is as it should be.
    FTW

Thin or Fat a lot of the is in perception.
    I thought I was "just a kilo or two" overweight and got a fright when I used a BMI calculator, and found I needed to lose 10kilos to get into a healthy weight range. A mate of mine was totally shocked when he came through with "Morbidly Obese".
    Here is an interesting one, it also uses your waist size. https://www.kiwicover.co.nz/your-hea...ator?ref=21447

How do you measure up?