Default Bicycle Garmin GPS Unit

I am planning on buying a Bicycle GPS unit
    possibly Garmin Edge 510 or Garmin Edge 800.

Is it worth pating extra for 800 or should i just go with 510 model ?
    Anyone has experience with either one of above?

Any other suggestions on alternatives would be great.

Thanks

Default Re: Bicycle Garmin GPS Unit

If you have a smartphone (with GPS) there are some exceptional apps for sports tracking that offer much more than anything a stand alone GPS can offer, of course they are less rugged. Most sports GPS units are water and shock proof and mounting them on the bike is easier.

Still, compared to the price of a dedicated unit, buying a mount + a fancy GPS app will only set you back $50 at the most.

I saw a really nice bike mount for the Galaxy S phones several years ago, came with Bluetooth headset for calls/music that fitted under the helmet, you controlled it with 2x buttons that you stuck on the gear levers or handle bars. Alternatively there were voice commands (apparently they weren't too good though, would be much better now) it also had a water tight case that you could pop open to use the phone if you needed. Was about $70 US but it was the top of the line stuff, they had a cheaper one that was just a case. Aimed at motor bike riders rather than cyclists although the "cheaper" case would do very well. I also recall reading about a phone charger (operated by dynamo on bike wheels) last year. Unfortunately I have no clue what their names or brands were
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<

Quote Originally Posted by The Error Guy View Post
    If you have a smartphone (with GPS) there are some exceptional apps for sports tracking that offer much more than anything a stand alone GPS can offer, of course they are less rugged. Most sports GPS units are water and shock proof and mounting them on the bike is easier.

Still, compared to the price of a dedicated unit, buying a mount + a fancy GPS app will only set you back $50 at the most.

I saw a really nice bike mount for the Galaxy S phones several years ago, came with Bluetooth headset for calls/music that fitted under the helmet, you controlled it with 2x buttons that you stuck on the gear levers or handle bars. Alternatively there were voice commands (apparently they weren't too good though, would be much better now) it also had a water tight case that you could pop open to use the phone if you needed. Was about $70 US but it was the top of the line stuff, they had a cheaper one that was just a case. Aimed at motor bike riders rather than cyclists although the "cheaper" case would do very well. I also recall reading about a phone charger (operated by dynamo on bike wheels) last year. Unfortunately I have no clue what their names or brands were

Thanks, I do use STRAVA and Map My Ride apps etc on my smartphone, but the problem is they run out of battery juice pretty quick. I could install the dynamo etc to charge my cell but i dont really prefer additional gadgets and like to keep minimum things on my bike

GPS apps for phones are fine - for use in a car where there is a power-point at hand. Battery life on a smartphone using GPS is less than ideal.

I have had a Garmin Edge 705 for nearly three years now - awesome. I get about 7-8 hours battery life out of the 705, which is more than enough to do Taupo.

The 500 series is much smaller but seems to offer similar functionality and the 800 is closer to a smartphone with it's colour touch screen. Don't know what the battery life is like though.

Many of my cycling mates have bought Polar and other cycle computers, but have eventually realised that Garmin units are far more reliable and functional and gone and bought a Garmin of some flavour or other.

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

First i need to save 3k for the new bike i have my eye on, then i'll think about a new GPS

Quote Originally Posted by johcar View Post
    GPS apps for phones are fine - for use in a car where there is a power-point at hand. Battery life on a smartphone using GPS is less than ideal.

I have had a Garmin Edge 705 for nearly three years now - awesome. I get about 7-8 hours battery life out of the 705, which is more than enough to do Taupo.

The 500 series is much smaller but seems to offer similar functionality and the 800 is closer to a smartphone with it's colour touch screen. Don't know what the battery life is like though.

Many of my cycling mates have bought Polar and other cycle computers, but have eventually realised that Garmin units are far more reliable and functional and gone and bought a Garmin of some flavour or other.
    Thanks, I looked up 705 and looks like its discontinued with 800 series replacing it.
    I think i wll go with 510....battery life is 20hrs....it just doesnt have navigation / maps in it

I really need accuracy and raw data then anything fancy colorful maps etc although I wouldnt mind having it for a reasonable price.
    800 is bit too steep in price for me.
    Last edited by learning; 17-01-2013 at 12:48 PM.

I'm suddenly wondering if it's worth mounting my S3 on my handlebars somehow
    I'm never going to be a serious enough cyclist to buy a dedicated unit.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by learning View Post
    Thanks, I looked up 705 and looks like its discontinued with 800 series replacing it.
    I think i wll go with 510....battery life is 20hrs....it just doesnt have navigation / maps in it

I really need accuracy and raw data then anything fancy colorful maps etc although I wouldnt mind having it for a reasonable price.
    800 is bit too steep in price for me.
    The 510 will probably do the job for you just fine - then sign up to RidewithGPS.com and upload your ride history.

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)