Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diabetics

Default Diabetics

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10857923
    No he wasn't sleeping........that's why he was hard to "wake up".

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8153...aken-for-drunk

Like this guy.

Husband has a hypoglycemia problem, he has no real initial symptoms anymore, you'd think he was asleep, or drunk perhaps.....
    It's damn dangerous if no-one pays attention.
    wipe your paws.

Default Re: Diabetics

Yeah, it's an awkward one, and you have my sympathies.

The other side of the coin, is that practically every town has drunks and 'derelicts' who choose to sleep rough every night of the week.

Locally we've got an elderly fellow who's been through the various care agencies, but is always straight back into town with his smokes and his sleeping bag, where he'll spend the night curled up in a doorway puffing on his precious cigs.
    If we had every local that was unfamiliar with this guy calling for help the ambulance service would be called to him every single day, multiple times per day (his speech is incoherent like a drunk as well, so good samaritans never get any sense out of him).

Best bet for unstable diabetics may be to wear medic alerts in very prominent places, to stay sober, and to be well dressed at all times so that they're lees likely to be dismissed as another pisshead, and to stay in areas with high foot traffic.

Would programming a cellphone with an hourly alert help remind your hubby to do whatever he has to do to stay clear of mind?

Thanks, Paul.Cov - you've addressed most if not all the issues well.

"Best bet for unstable diabetics may be to wear medic alerts in very prominent places, to stay sober, and to be well dressed at all times so that they're less likely to be dismissed as another pisshead, and to stay in areas with high foot traffic."
    Last edited by WalOne; 08-01-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post
    Best bet for unstable diabetics may be to wear medic alerts in very prominent places, to stay sober, and to be well dressed at all times so that they're lees likely to be dismissed as another pisshead, and to stay in areas with high foot traffic.

Would programming a cellphone with an hourly alert help remind your hubby to do whatever he has to do to stay clear of mind?
    They do. Trouble is, if you saw some old guy who you thought maybe sleeping or drunk, you probably wouldn't even approach to check.
    That's a good idea of yours.....doesn't need to be hourly, just the usual snack times.

The only problem is, if he is already on the way down, he wouldn't comprehend what the noise was even about.
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    They do. Trouble is, if you saw some old guy who you thought maybe sleeping or drunk, you probably wouldn't even approach to check.
    Unfortunately that is true if they were on a park bench or slumped in a doorway or in a vehicle. Elsewhere, however, it depends on the circumstances. My elderly father lost his balance and fell over on the footpath right outside their house and at least three people, who may not have seen him actually fall, came running to help him. Just as well they did because he would not have been able to get up by himself and my mother could not help him either. She would have had to call an ambulance.

Paul.Cov's advice is spot on, particularly regarding being well-dressed. Wearing a Medic-Alert bracelet or necklace is essential for such people but if they are dressed in tattered or scruffy clothes people won't even come close enough to check whether the victim has one on them.

In the comments on one of those news articles someone said "If you know an insulin-dependant diabetic, get familiar with the symptons of a hypo - the shakes, blurred vision and cold sweats and slurred speech. if your friend has these symptons, get some sugar in them and get medical help as well."

pctek, if someone did come across your hubby in a "crashed" state, what would you advise them to do, other than call an ambulance?

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyMX View Post
    pctek, if someone did come across your hubby in a "crashed" state, what would you advise them to do, other than call an ambulance?
    LOL.
    Nothing. Ring the ambulance.

A normal diabetic low on sugar though? If they are conscious and able still, get them to drink any soft drink. The stuff has gallons of sugar in it, a small 300ml is fine, that will send it the other way.
    But if they are not responding properly, forget it, you can drown them.

Husband wouldn't be noticeable now, unless he's gone totally. He doesn't show normal symptoms anymore, so unless he's talking - in which case incoherent dribble comes out, or rage, or if he's upright - he crashes to the ground.
    Until either of those events occur you can't tell now.

Hence the danger....

He did it once down South, helping with the Burt Munro.
    Neighbour knew, lucky he spotted him lying in the middle of the rugby field and fetched me.
    The rest of them, were way over the side, and came over when I turned up saying is he ok?
    I said did you think he was having a nap? They said He kept saying he was fine and then fell over.

Which he does....he'll always say that cause he has no idea usually.

It can affect them differently - it's like no oxygen to the brain, they may find things funny, or get paranoid, or get aggressive. Really aggressive. Which scares some people.

Also like no oxygen to the brain, brain damage can occur, then death.

Husbands had the brain damage bit. So far not permanent. Well, majorly permanent anyway.
    wipe your paws.

Having just recently being diagnosed as diabetic, I find it a scary thought what can possibly happen. I get sleepy quite suddenly sometimes and just want to shut my eyes. This can be a problem when I am driving somewhere, so I always carry some jelly beans and a water bottle in the car. So far I have been perfectly fine, but I like to think that someone would offer to help if they found me in a heap on the ground somewhere. Heaven forbid!

LL

SWMBO is into that stuff - has to keep juggling her chemistry to stay in balance. When she gets a bee in her bonnet about the state of the garden, like today for example, things go a bit seesaw and she may work till she drops. Then I get in a panic, and so it goes on. It is not particularly inspiring.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Lakewoodlady - Type 2 (probably) or Type 1?

sarel
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death, it's more serious than that.