Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Design Genius

Default Smoke alarms failing?

Has anybody had any failing smoke alarms or batteries?

Culprit one:Ringgrip expires 2014. Started beeping sporadically, replaced batteries with everready gold, few weeks later beeping again

Culprit two: so I buy a new Elto Smoke alarm to replace the ringgrip. Expires 2022. Have had a month or two. Used included (funny name) battery, starts beeping, seems someone else in house replaced it with everyready gold, starts beeping shortly after. I try brand new energiser. Starts beeping shortly after.

Any ideas?

It seems random that two different smoke alarms in the same spot start beeping. and replacing batteries doesnt seem to solve it

Default Re: Smoke alarms failing?

Have you looked outside recently?

1) Are there any blokes in high vis yellow jackets and safety helmets milling round a red truck?

2) Are there any priests in red cassocks and birettas milling around keeping a watchful eye on your chimney?

I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Me

Stop smoking?

VoidMaster

This has happened to us twice, the first time after weeks of frustration it turned out to be a smouldering hot water switch in the passage which eventually went open-circuit causing no hot water which is how we found the problem.

The second time it was the Junction Box to Fuse Box Wiring had water from a leak in the roof and was also smouldering before it actually blew the 60Amp fuse which is how we realized why the alarms were going off.

My advice is don't ignore them try another alarm or place the supposed faulty ones outside and see if they still go off.

Both of the incidents at our house were not false alarms even though they seemed to be so in fact they were potentially life threatening.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    Have you looked outside recently?

1) Are there any blokes in high vis yellow jackets and safety helmets milling round a red truck?

2) Are there any priests in red cassocks and birettas milling around keeping a watchful eye on your chimney?

Thats a real good reply...lol

Being a firey who was heavily involved in getting smoke alarms instaled around the community. I have some experiance of this!

Really difficult to give you an online diagnostic check of what is wrong so here goes.

When we were installing these smoke alarms and bearing in mind we installed a lot occasionally we would find a faulty smoke alarm or a batch of batteries that were not very good. Several factors come into play and yes it is likely you were unlucky with getting two faulty alrms. What ype are they eg photosensative etc? Should say on the packaging. Your two options either take them back where you purchased or contact you community fire officer he can be contacted via you local fire brigade (obvioulsy not using the 111 number), you may find he may have a product recall notice filed which helps your arguement with the retailer as well.

I like Zippitys advice

Better to be safe than sorry.

Yes try another one in the same place.

They are cheap enough.

Reminds me of a top cyclist that was trying out a new bike heart rate machine.
    He took it back to the shop saying it was giving out false beeps etc.
    They said it was all OK.
    Two weeks later he died of a heart attack he was in his 30's
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    I like Zippitys advice

Better to be safe than sorry.

Yes try another one in the same place.

They are cheap enough.

Reminds me of a top cyclist that was trying out a new bike heart rate machine.
    He took it back to the shop saying it was giving out false beeps etc.
    They said it was all OK.
    Two weeks later he died of a heart attack he was in his 30's
    You mean zqwerty ?
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

I liked Coldfronts, ring up fire brigade, get it from the horses mouth, I say.
    "The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living." Cicero

Interesting post zqwerty. I wouldn't have thought a smoke alarm would respond like that to such faults.

We had a smoke alarm play up last year just a couple of months after purchase with it beeping at random times. Replacing the battery didn't fix it so I just took it back and got a refund then bought another of a different brand. Haven't had any problems since.

VoidMaster

Yes low level smouldering, at the time we couldn't smell the hot water switch cooking although Mum swore at the time the DVS filter was dirty and letting in smoke smells from outside.

As for the mains wiring well once we got into the roof space the smell of burnt insulation was very noticeable but in the house nothing, however the smoke detectors were detecting it.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche